Just saw Wilco .. what acoustic is Tweedy playing?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by straticus, Jun 14, 2005.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I caught Wilco at the Greek Theater in Berkeley over the week end. What a great show! ............. and a great venue too!

Does anyone know what the small bodied acoustic with the white pick guard is that Jeff Tweedy was playing is? It has a pick up in the sound hole. He was on the cover of Acoustic Guitar mag a few months ago with the same guitar but I can't tell what it is.

I was a big Wilco fan before seeing them live. Now that I've seen them live ......... well, it doesn't get much better IMO.:dude

2. straticus

straticus Member

Hmmmmmmmmm ......... I thought this would be an easy one for all you acoustic dudes.:confused:

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Was it a sunburst? Maybe a Gibson J-45?

4. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks, but it's not a J 45.

There's a picture of Tweedy playing the guitar in question on the cover of Sept / Oct issue of Guitar World Acoustic magazine.

It's hard to tell what the name is but it looks like it might be an Airline???

BC :)

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

things move slowly over here on the acoustic instruments forum, h....a......v.......e................y.......o.......u................n.....o........t.......i........c.........e.........d??

6. straticus

straticus Member

Yes. There's also this strange skunky / herbal smell ............. can't quite put my finger on it. But do you think that might have something to do with it?;)

7. SturmerChilton

SturmerChilton Member

Hi Straticus!

I'm a huge Wilco fan. I've noticed on the last couple of tours he's used in addition to his Gibsons, a Santa Cruz. Now I can't specifically tell you which model, but I do know he's been playing one.

SCs are some of the best guitars playing and soundwise I've ever played. I unfortunately don't have that kind of coin. LOL!

Sad when a guitar makes you go "*sigh* I guess all I can afford is an ol' Taylor" :D

8. danfisher

danfisher Member

sounds like an Avalon... the offshoot of Lowden..

9. Laika

Laika Guest

10. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

the last time i saw him on tv (can't remember if it was austin city limits or something else) he was playing what looked like a 12 fret santa cruz dread. i have seen him play gibsons too, although the ones i remember were spruce tops.

11. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it. The guitar that he was on the cover of Acoustic Guitar was an old Barclay made by Harmony.

12. fredjago71

fredjago71 Member

The guitar in the picture is a Gibson F-25 "Folksinger" made in between I believe 1963-early seventies. 12 fret 2 inches at the nut.

13. in a little row

in a little row Member

Just a thought, I saw Tweedy twice last year and both shows he played a breedlove with a baggs m-1 passive pickup

There is a rumor of a breedlove tweedy model...

j

14. fredjago71

fredjago71 Member

Sorry for the misinformation but I saw the white pickguard and immediately thought the acoustic was his folksinger, as I have seen him playing that. That one looks to be a mid late sixties j-45, remember the red ones with the white pickguard from that time period, black with white pickguard as well. I don't recall the shape of the pickguard on those but that one is the shape of a country western or hummingbird. Sorry for the blabbering.

15. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

16. sillybro

sillybro Member

Too small. My guess is an LG-3 or a B-25N.

17. devinb

devinb Member

This?

[​IMG]

That's a 1964 F-25 Folksinger that I just bought on Ebay (hasn't arrived yet)...it is parlour sized, and as someone said, 2 inches at the nut...I've seen Jeff with it...

I won the auction for this one, no cracks/repairs for just over $900, it was the first one I saw on ebay in a long time, an advanced search didn't have any others...I've seen some listed in Vintage Guitar, but dealers are still asking a lot more...I did see a few sell on ebay for less than what I paid a while ago, but they were later...

I understand they can have some intonation problems do to the saddle being perpendicular to the strings, but I don't plan on playing it in anything other than first and second position.

18. konavet

konavet Member

Pretty sure that's a Gibson B-25N. The combination of size and pickguard shape are distinctive.

19. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Supporting Member

I have owned several Gibson LG guitars and this is the same body size. The B-25N, is a LG-2 or 3 with a model number change in the early- mid 60's. Too small to be a J-45