Just Say YOU could make a DESIGN change to a Classic Gibson or Fender Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

If Gibson gave me creative licence to fundementally change an element of design one of their classic guitars , it would be the Les Paul ( no surprises or shocks there.....LOL !! ) and the change I would make would be to relocate the pickup switch to where it is on a PRS, to the right and alongside the tone controls.

I think this is a common sense relocation, where the pickup switch on a lester is, imo, a right pain in the arse and I can certainly see why it is where it is on the singlecut PRS.

It will never happen , but I think it shoulda been there to start with.

So a classic Gibson or Fender guitar, youve been given the authority to make a fundemental design change you think is for the better of the instrument,

which guitar ?
    what design change youd implement ?
    how would improve that guitar ?

Jimmy

2. Doodad

Doodad Member

Make the darn thing lighter. The main reason I do not own a LP standard or other model is the weight. I am not a big guy and those things just hurt my shoulder.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Gibson - reduce the headstock angle substantially or start making them with a proper scarf joint... which ironically, a lot of Epiphones have (this is the joint where the headstock piece runs up under the fingerboard to around the second or third fret, not the one where there is a join across about level with the E tuners).

It's both sad and infuriating to see the number of broken Gibsons that pass through a typical repair shop... more than all other brands put together (certainly of the 'quality' makers). In the shop I work for, it's rare that a week goes by without at least one. It's a design fault pure and simple, and could easily be solved without significantly altering the tone of the guitars - at least, less than some of the other cost-cutting measures they've used over the years do.

I'm assuming they won't because of 'traditionalist' arguments, and I would not really object to Historics etc being made the old way, if there are customers that put this detail above structural strength - but I don't think it's right that the low- and mid-level guitars should be made this way, especially those that are sold in gig bags not hard cases. Many of the buyers (since in many cases it's their first decent guitar) don't realise how fragile the headstocks are and that the gig bag provides almost no protection.

Almost every other flaw on every other instrument pales into insignificance compared to this one IMO.

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the headstock angle on the historics, yikes, and the les pauls really should come a set of with schallers as standard, i cant imagine why gibson dont include a set in the gtr case.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to see a 335 with a big neck, properly dressed 6105s, a 25-1/2" scale, and P90s.

There. Is that too much to ask...? ;)

6. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I'd change the cutaway on the tele to improve hand access on upper frets, and maybe even change the neck joint to more of a rounded heel ala Melancon/Ibanez all access neck joint. It's just a big pain to play up high on a tele. I love every thing else about them just don't like the upper register access.

Maybe one more thing, change the switch position to that of a strat. I've done that on a couple Warmoth Teles and loved it everytime.

7. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i agree, i know that it is BLASPHEMOUS but i changethe tuners of every gibson that i have ever know to locking nuts:worried

yes I'M the the guy!:jo

:D:D:D:D

8. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Hands down, a neck through design on the SG. Good enough for the Firebird, why not the SG!

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

how about somehow mounting the front strapholder on a sg as tony iommi does on his, avoids that cursed neck heaviness.

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

Nearly all Gibson models:
    • Start making the neck tenons so that the necks can be fitted at the right angle consistently. Can't be that hard considering their competitors can get it right far more often.
    • Locking studs for TOM and tailpiece to avoid scratching that precious nitro top and to keep the hardware from moving.
    • Locking tuners for easy restringing (not Sperzels though)
    • Replace the TOM retainer wire crap with what Gotoh uses: hex nuts. No need to worry about retainer wires breaking or some tiny C-clips getting lost.
    • Gotoh sideways truss rods to avoid weakening the nut-headstock area.

Gibson Les Paul:
    - Headstock binding on LP Standards as well. The headstock just looks better with it.

Gibson SG, 335 and Flying V:
    - Output jack from the top to the side.
    - Better strap button placement for the SG for better balance.

Fender:
    - More accuracy to neck pocket routing.

Sorry, I can't stop at one. :D

PS. I think the pickup switch placement on a Les Paul is perfect. I can flick it a lot quicker than I can a switch near the other controls.

11. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

i would change the price. gibson's are too expensive new and it's the name you're paying for.

12. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

The location of the volume knob on Strats just kills me. It's constantly in the way.

13. george4908

george4908 Member

>>The location of the volume knob on Strats just kills me. It's constantly in the way.

Same here. I'd just remove it altogether and go with one volume and one tone in the other locations.

Teles: Reverse the control plate. I also prefer a football plate input jack.

Les Paul: Lose the fret binding, and run the frets to the edge of the board.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Fender: make them like "Fenders"

15. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Every change described so far has been made, by the boutique builders. Fender and Gibson are pretty arrogant about design changes that do not directly result in cost savings. While I do not like Ibanez guitars, I will say they have implemented some changes to improve their lines, like the alder Vai guitars instead of only basswood, their newer all access neck joint, a mahogany version of the Satriani, etc.

Unfortunately the market does not seem to force Gibson and Fender to adapt. Could you image if Goodyear refused to improve the design of their tires since 1960? Think they would be in business today?

16. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I`d make a 335 with a longer distance between the bridge and tailpiece .I`d also join the neck to the body so the first 4 frets (at least) sit on the top and make the lower cutaway deeper . Hell , they`ve already done exactly this already with the 70`s Les Paul Signature . My picking ergonomics are much fatter and sweeter with the LPS because I`m able to rest my picking hand over the neck pickup instead of in between the pickups ....

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Dave Orban: Described what I want from Gibson.
    Fender needs to move the Telecaster Volume knob 1/2" farther away from the switch. Somebody already mentioned the Strat volume knob being poorly placed.
    Parker guitars: The tuners are too close together.

18. HHB

HHB Member

I'd make all yer R9's 20 lbs! bwhahahaha!

19. Doctor Shred

Doctor Shred Active Member

I'd make a 25.5 scale Explorer with 24 frets on an ebony board with a trem bridge. Oh, and the guitar would have to NOT be neck-heavy!

[​IMG]

In the Fender realm, I'd just make a Strat that was H-S-S. No pickguard. Ebony 24 fret board or Maple optional. :) Banana or pointy headstock to add a "metal" vibe. Standard six-screw vintage style trem. Heavily contoured body on the rear, extra scooped horn for clear access to the 24th fet. "Angled" slim bolt-on heel.

20. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Guess what, Epiphones with scarf joints still break at or above the nut just like the Gibson headstock. Gibson changed the pitch from 17 degrees to 14 degrees and added the volute back in 1969. Those break as well. If you decress the angle much more you lose the string break angle over the nut. I have seen Ibanez necks break at the scarf joint. That makes for an even greater headache to repair. Unless you change the headstock to a Fender style design a pitched headstock will break when dropped. Firebirds and Explorers are not pitched like a traditional Gibson 3+3 headstock and those break as well. Even a Strat headstock will break if hit at the right angle.