JUst scored a 50 Watt JCM800 and a 1982A Cab!..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BluePat, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BluePat

BluePat Member

And I'm luvin' them! The head has to die for tone, and for 50 watts, is insanely loud. The cab is a little over the top as far as power rating goes (I have an early 70s 1960A with Greenbacks in it, so I'm more used to that tone) but it has that Celestion vibe none the less. :p

A question I have is, because the head only has 4 & 8 ohm taps, has anyone run into trouble running a 16 ohm cab from the 8 ohm tap? (I want to run my 1960A cab as often as the 1982A) I seem to remember reading something about Marshalls being really finicky about impedance matching, compared to other makes of amps.

Keep on pluckin'
    Pat

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

it's pronounced "canada". :D

8->16 should be fine.

3. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

+1, it sounds like the head is a Canandian model. I had one, killer amp.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

What's the problem in re-wiring the cab for 4 ohms, to suit your available outputs ?

5. BluePat

BluePat Member

It's funny you mention that because only about a month ago it was wired 4 ohms, but I did some reading about 16ohm taps on the OT using more "iron" so I wired it to 16 ohms to use with my Rivera M100, and there seemed to be some audible validity to the "more iron" concept. I'll probably keep it wired to 16 ohms, and run both cabs, so the amp will bear 5.33 ohms as a total load, but when I first tried that, the 1982A completely dominated the 1960A!

Keep on pluckin'
    Pat

6. Griz

Griz Member

Mmmm... dogies, as Jed Clampett would say. Never noticed that. I just checked my '82 JCM800 2203 head and yep: no 16ohms.

I suppose the safety people were thinking that a neanderthal stood a statistically smaller chance of having an amp fire with only one incorrect impedance setting available, as opposed to two.

Always lookin' out for us...

:banana

7. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

My Canadian has only the 4 and 8 ohm option. I just put the Soldano Hot Mod in my JCM 800, and what a big difference in a good way. Just played it for a while. Love that amp!

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If I had to guess (cont know for sure) I bet the OT has a 16 ohm tap just not hooked up. Also your cab can be rewired to 4 ohms if it's a standard cab.

9. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

10. Griz

Griz Member

Here's another thought. Now you have the perfect excuse to buy a second 16ohm cab (2 of 'em in parallel matches your 8ohm setting on the Marshall).

A full-on, screamin' stack. How cool is that?

If your significant other has questions, just say you're doing it for everyone's safety.

:AOK

BTW, I believe it's a TGP rule that in exchange for the expert advice of we who are your honorable colleagues, you are obliged to post clips.

:D