Just scored a BJF Emerald Green Distortion Machine!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

This is getting totally out of control...

I've got an Eternity coming hopefully next week and yesterday I bought the BJF EGDM! Man I am excited!!

I swapped my Catalinbread SCOD + cash for the EGDM.. It's possible I get the EGDM today so I'll maybe be able to test drive already this weekend..

I can tell you it wasn't easy to part with the SCOD. Maybe I'll buy another one in the future. I just had to jump on the opportunity to get the EGDM. I'll definately still need something "extreme" on my board like the SCOD to handle the highgain lead stuff, but I think the BBB I'm planning to purchase could handle this as well..

Ok, back to the EGDM. It's quite an early one, serial number 12, and the paint has chipped I was told. I haven't even seen it yet. When did the production start on these? The clips I've heard sound absolutely fabulous, I've always thought that based on the clips this is the best sounding BJF.. But they're only clips.. I'm also really interested in the Honey Bee.

Ok, all you guys who own or have experiences with the pedal, let's talk EGDM! How do you use yours? What kind of gain levels do you prefer and so on?

I'm a bit lost on what I'm gonna use mine for.. but we'll see. I thought I had the distortion department sorted out with the Eternity and Hot Cake :) I hope that the BJF stuff wont do the same to me that the Lovepedal stuff did, I'm hooked and so is my wallet.

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i used to use it as a clean boost with a little bit of grit added.

sounded beautiful. make sure you adjust the internal trim pot.

i miss mine, let me know if you decided to sell it ;).

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

How would you describe the gain range? Clean boost available at minimum? What about max settings, how much gain does it have?

Internal trim pot, what does that do? I read somewhere that the voice control is not a normal tone control but a filter of some sort. Could you/someone explain this to me.. Man I hope it arrives today!

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

its got A LOT of balls to it. It's not so much gritty power tube saturation like a timmy or SCOD, but it's more preamp heavy gain. Sounds beautiful, but mean at the same time. The clean boost setting is pretty transparent. The internal trim pot adjusts the treble. the tone control is a little harder to explain. to tell you the truth, i don't even remember how it worked that well. just set tone knob at noon, then set the trim pot. The tone knob will be easier to use after that point. If you use the pedal as a clean boost, it will have an overall brighter sound (which i prefered). if you set the volume low and the gain high, the overall tone will be darker. so just set the trim pot accordingly.

o ... and it's fairly quiet at all settings.

have fun.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks for the help and descriptions! The official information about the BJF products is somewhat mystical.. Well soon I'll have my dirty hands all over the thing..

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I had been running all at noon, when I first got it before I waited 2 months to retube. last night I got thet new tubes. I haven't found the sweetspot yet with my new strat because the orange is sounding so good by it's lonesome and the damned apt dwelling precludes my usual furvor. It is VERY responsive to dynamics your playing and you volume knob.

I ran my Barber DD into it as a boost and it's lovely. The Les Paul really likes the gain knob dimed. The voicing is just that, it just takes a little finiking, I still like it, about noon.

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

Did you trade with a guy in Italy? I'm almost sure my old EGDM was number twelve and I sold it, yes, foolishly I sold it...to a guy on ebay.

In my defence, I didn't know about the internal treble trimmer and the pedal does have major amounts of gain on tap, which I really didn't/don't need.

8. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Are these pedals BJF pedals non true bypass? or just some of them.

9. beckanon

beckanon Member

All except for the Baby Pink Booster and Red Rooster Booster are true bypass.

The EGDM is a fun pedal. I've tried two versions. The first incarnation was a little bright and aggressive sounding. The next, and I believe current, version was refined in the top end - or a little compression added or something - made it sound much better and easier to find the sweet spots. This latest version sounded real nice with my Rt.66 -- at one gig I preferred playing the EGDM for all my OD sounds over my Eternity.

10. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

Curehardy wrote: " i used to use it as a clean boost with a little bit of grit added."

+1. This is the way I like to run mine as well, also have a SBEQ which is phenominal!!!

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I traded with another Finnish dude.. He bought it used from Custom-Sounds so it's quite possible that it as ended from Italy back to Custom-Sounds in Scandinavia..

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

Cool, I can't be certain, something tells me it could have been #14. Either way, who cares?

Hope you enjoy the pedal mate!

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

The Baby Pink IS buffered
    the Little Red Trebler IS buffered

the rest are trubypass ---- I think Seegs had special Red Rooster made with the baby Pinks Buffer in it, but normaly they are non buffered......

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I picked up the EGDM from post office couple of hours ago. It's quite heavy and looks seriously cool.. The paint has chipped a bit and it has this great honest and hand made quality and feel to it.. It has the same kind of charisma than an old beaten up tele somehow :)

I haven't been able to plug it in yet. I'll do that early tomorrow morning..
    It's really interesting to hear that people use it as a clean boost although it's supposed to be a distortion... Well, thats cool to have many different uses for the thing.

Oh, and about the versions..
    Did the first version have the trim knob? I opened up the pedal and didn't see a trim pot nowhere, but then again this is an early one. I think the painting on the inside is a cool touch too..

I'll report back tomorrow.

15. beckanon

beckanon Member

:jo

Thanks, Don! I was hoping you would chime in.

16. Don Rusk

yes the 'trimpot' is in the gooped part of the board, look carefully and youll see a goop gap with a small turnythingy , youll need a very small screwdriver to adjust it....

17. Don Rusk

TR and anyone else in case you didnt see this on the Honey Bee thread ~~~~~~~

"EGDM #12 does not have a trimpot, this was added later on to make the EGDM work on more ampbrands than at first intended.
    Treble was set just right for the intended amp brand but needed trimming for the pedal to work on the brighter amps.
    The earlier version of EGDM also has a bit more gain, but feedback proved that most users wanted control over the lower gain portions.
    You will find a post on this topic at the Toyz forum

Should you desire the control this trimmer gives or need any advice or other service send me a mail.

At your service
    BJ "

(I have EGDM #2 and it has an actual pot inside and it works wonderfully for tailoring the overall high end response to other amps like my Fenders.....)

18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

It's my fave BJF so far. I love it!!

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Was in the studio today, doing some recording and got to test out the EGDM.. Man, this is a really good pedal. I only had time to test it with my Tele, but I'll be able to do some extensive Tone Ranging (tm) tomorrow..

The pedal has MUCH gain available, I was surprised by this, but it sounded really good on all positions! It can do some really nice overdrive and then into full out distortion. The sound is full bodied, edgy and... I dont know how to put this.. really well "constructed". You hear the notes really well and it stays tight and focused all the time. I really love it. The eq curve seems really good. Works great with my EL84 amp.. Rhythm sounds were really good and the leads were great as well, really edgy, great stuff!!

I can tell straight away that this thing is gonna work great in my setup, live and in studio. It has great eq, which makes the guitar stand out in a mix, it takes all the essential frequencies and sprinkles magic over them. Great! Already laid down some tracks with it. Worked superbly!!

The hype about BJF stuff seems well earned. If I wasnt so happy with my pedals and was looking for more drives, I'd definately go BJF. Honey Bee would be really nice to try out, among others, but it has to wait... And anyway I think its cool to have pedals from different brands, to create your own mixture..

Ok, now back to the EGDM. Yesterday I didn't notice the trim pot, but today my buddy Teddy Boy found it right away..Guess I'm just blind and/or dumb :) Here's a pic where you can see it.. Is this a trim pot or what? Though Bjorn already said that there is not a pot in #12.. I'm confused :) Is this the trim pot (didn't move it yet)

[​IMG]

20. BJF

BJF Member

Hi Toneranger,

That is the tone trimmer and it's set at reference point.
    Almost all EGD's have this trimmer, there are only a few of the early ones that don't. The introduction of the trimmer goes about there and I'd cut a hole through the neoprane so it would be visiable.

Oh, well I'm getting old and forgetfull ;)

Have fun and I'm glad you like the EGD.

Best
    BJ