Just scored a London Fuzz...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Jul 9, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I already have a Sunface, but I can't get it to sound right with my Fender amp. So I'm going to try this one... got it for 100$ on eGay. Maybe some of you could help me out with my fuzz situation.... Why doesn't my Sunface sound friggin awesome through my Amp????? All buffered pedals are after it and there are only three in the chain.

Fulltone Clyde Std.
    Roger Mayer Octavia
    Analog.Man Sunface NKT-275
    BYOC Ranger Clone
    Fulltone Deja'Vibe
    Boss TU-2 Tuner*
    Klon Centaur*
    Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive
    Fulltone Supa-Trem
    Fulltone ChoralFlange
    Maxon AD-80 Analog Delay*
    BYOC DD-80 Delay

*=buffered

Any input would help. And I don't put it first because it doesn't sound right with my wah or octavia.

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The London sounds pretty similar to the Sunface, just has a bit more gain. Not sure the London will solve your problems. What exactly is the problem you're having?

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

1) Did you try it alone?

2) Are you sure the Octavia is True bypass and not buffered? Check for a DPDT switch.

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I have a Foxrox Captain Coconut that I could never get to sound right thru my Fender amp. Played thru a Marshall or my MK1, it sounds proper.
    I emailed Dave Fox and his suggestion was to put a tube screamer after it (or some such overdrive) if you are running into a clean chanel of an amp.
    I have always had success with a Big Muff into a Twin, but these germanium pedals are a horse of a different stripe.
    The sound I get into a clean amp is very dry, bright, harsh high end. And there is no "tone control" to adjust.
    Is this your experience?

5. aquadog

aquadog Member

try to pick up a used mcfuzz. It will solve your fuzz into fender amps, even cleans ones. Great with humbuckers into a clean up

6. drolling

drolling Member

Best of luck w/the MJM - I'm a big fan of Jan and have had a proto/custom BluesDevil on my board for many a year.. Gave up my original TS 808 because the BD sounds so much better; lower noise floor BUT more gain and a better *feel*, to boot - true-bŷpass, too.. just a great li'l pedal.

So of course I flipped when I saw a used London Fuzz in this cool music store on a trip to T-dot.. I'd been playing a real nice tele thru' a Magnatone amp, and the guy brought out a pile of nice pedals to check out. The shop was closing up, and I would have bought the London w/o even plugging in, but fortunately I did.

Sounded nice, but it had NO VOLUME at all - w/both the clip & vol controls maxed I could barely get a whisper out of it. The guy was totally puzzled, as we switched batteries, tried an AC adaptor, diffferent cables, another amp.. etc..

Store finally closed right down, but we stuck around, trying to get some audible gain outa that pedal - but it was a no-go.. There must have been something wrong w/it, as I've only heard good things about this fuzz..

Couldn't afford the tele (or that sweet Maggie - dam:puh!!), but I walked out w/a BlackBox UltravioletII.. Now that's one fire-breathin', kick-@$$ face-melter of a pedal..it had replaced a Soulbender on my board till I recently reached out to Joe Retroman Wolf for a Sybil.. now, that's a fuzz..

Anyway, I'm hoping your experience is very different from mine..

Is it a straight-up London, or a London Fuzz II?

Any way you could post some clips when it comes in??

BTW, I've no idea why SunFace isn't workin for ya - It is first in your chain, no? Seems to be very important for fuzzes.. I've also got an Rx Experience, a germanium Facelift and a TrulyBeautifulDisaster - they ALL like to be first in the chain - right after the guitar..

Best of luck!

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

What lcjc800 said, is good advice.

We test the sunfaces through a clean fender amp and used that amp for sound clips too. Try just guitar -> sunface -> amp and dial it in, then add effects one by one to see which one is causing the problem. And let us know what kind of problem you are having. The London fuzz will probably have more available fuzz than the NKT, the NKT will be smoother, warmer, clearer, and have more cleanup capabilities.

good luck and have fun!

8. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

DT did try my awsome McFuzz on his amp and it sounded terrible. Too much treble even with tone knob down and it did not clean up well. Go figure. It sounds extremely sweet on my Champ and Marshall JTM 30 (which is more a Fender than a Marshall, really)

Congrats on the London Fuzz

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

It took some learning to dial in the right sounds on my London, it's very sensitive to your guitar's volume. Once I understood my London, it's been "the" fuzz for me. Good luck!

10. 1968

1968 Member

That is that exact fuzz combination I have.. Sunface for low gain + London for high gain.. Love it!

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

Mike, don't get me wrong, it's a killer fuzz when plugged into a Marshall stack, but there's not that much sustain on a Fender. Sounds friggin awesome for chord work, but for soloing it's lacks a lot. Tone wise it's not all that smooth because I can't play anywhere with my amp on 7. I've done it and it's still pretty harsh. I use it in conjuction with a BYOC Treble Booster (full range mod), and a Landgraff DO. The bridge p/u on the strat is about where I want it, but on the neck, it's just compressed mud. I just wish it had more gain. A lot more actually. I'll have to A/B.... Trust me Mike, Your fuzz HAS lasted the longest on my board than any other I've tried, and I've tried almost all of them. :) Also BTW - There isn't that much difference between having it by itself and in the chain.

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

Not a bad Idea.

13. exodus

exodus Member

honestly, i think a fuzz sounds like total ass before a buffer and almost total ass after a buffer. either way it doesn't work imo.