• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Just scored a pre peavey Budda SD80II, what to expect?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll be honest, probably the most impulsive purchase I’ve ever made! But I couldn’t resist: Pre Peavey Budda SD80II, for 700! Seemed like a deal to me.
I know they are loud yes haha! But I’ve never seen so many “ favorite amp ever” comments on an amp I think, was very surprised. Anyways just looking for experiences, tips and tricks etc, speaker Choices. Thanks!

sickboy79

I’ll be honest, probably the most impulsive purchase I’ve ever made! But I couldn’t resist: Pre Peavey Budda SD80II, for 700! Seemed like a deal to me.
I know they are loud yes haha! But I’ve never seen so many “ favorite amp ever” comments on an amp I think, was very surprised. Anyways just looking for experiences, tips and tricks etc, speaker Choices. Thanks!
Congrats, you're in for a treat IMO. I have an original SD30 Series I head that I absolutely love and have played a very early SD80 numerous times, to include side by side.

It's got a wonderful clean tone that sort of reminds me of a bit of Tweed Bassman/JTM-45. It can be pushed into a great classic rock tone as well. The lead channel is one of the best Plexi on steroids tones I've ever heard. Big, thick, fat sounding tones. A bit warmer than a typical Marshall but, still cuts through the mix. Just a really well voiced and reactive channel.

Let us know when you get it and how you like it.

Buckeyedog

Dude, the 80 is an absolute monster!!! Plus you stole it!!! I still regret selling mine years ago. Yes, it's very LOUD but it also sounds fabulous!!!! Congrats. I think it works great with greenback type speakers.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys, I wanted something different that isn’t in the limelight these days, seems to be quite the sleeper amp. Seems these amps are loved around here big time

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
The love for these amps is incredible. Most amps that are “ revered” you can find tons of people that also don’t like them: I see very little of that with Budda. Could be because not many have played them, who knows. But it’s amazing how many people love these amps.

Anyone have any decent clips of the sd 80 or tracks they recorded with? YouTube is full of garbage mostly, I can’t stand “ in the room” iPhone videos, tells you virtually nothing.

t3po

Late to the party but I love mine as well. Pre-amp designed with/by Dave Friedman. Take the middle two power tubes out and it safely reduces the power (to mixed reviews). I find it really loves P90s. I don't see myself changing the speakers because there's nothing missing to my ears.

Last edited:

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
You’re gonna hate it. Super loud! I’d just get rid of it right now. I’ll even give you what you’ve put into it! ;)

rolsen

Budda was the first 'boutique' amp I ever recall seeing in a guitar store. Fast forward probably 20 yrs and I took a stab on a used SD18 head. These amps are cheap, btw, scored mine for $600! I sold it though, almost immediately..

Brought it to the band room and after rehearsing our set, I'd already come to my own conclusion but wanted my drummer's impression. My drummer is not a guitarist and lacks our wonky tone vocabulary. He said it lacks 'cut' and definition, he could hear what I was doing but not the detail or aggression he's accustomed to. I agreed. I tried it with the tubes it shipped with and new ones, no difference. I did enjoy playing it by my lonesome, the quality of tone is indisputable but the voicing seemed inappropriate for a marshally-vox-flavored amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom