just scored Boogie MKI head #264!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HHB, Dec 27, 2005.

1. HHB

HHB Member

like the title says, just picked up a very early MKI head w/ graphic and reverb ( broken spring though:eek: ) pretty clean and the serial is #264 in the old dynmo lable, too cool. I've been using a reissue of this head ( sans graphic) for years, it's cool to find the real thing ( and at a deal as well ) are these things collected at all?

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

They are by some guys. I got a 77 recently.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

nice score man...i bet that thing rips!

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

If you run into #512, that was mine from back in the day. I'd like it back, too, if only for its sentimental value.

I sold it for around $600 USD. I've seen them listed (but never sold) for as much as $1800. I think those sellers are smoking crack.

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Hell yes they are :) They may not be worth plexi money at the moment but they are a quality amp with a unique sound and have their own following. Get yourself some good tubes if it doesn't have them already and that thing should sing.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

They're under valued at the moment but their time will come. I have #835.

[​IMG]

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Looks like it's got an Altec in there. How cool is that? :cool:

9. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't keep an Altec in mine. Kept blowing the damned thing. Wound up with a "Gauss" that had the sole redeeming characteristic of being unblowable.

10. shakti

shakti Member

We need photos!
    I don't understand why these early Boogies aren't more revered. As has been said - a unique sound, historical significance. And yet they're all but being snubbed. All the better, since they can be had quite cheap. Nothing else sounds quite like them, but you really have to be careful and tweak them to sound right. And they're not for every playing style either - melodic lead lines are its forté. But a properly set up and tweaked MkI is sooo fat, sweet and responsive.

I'd love to hear your reactions to how it sounds compared to your reissue. I had a '97 reissue since new, and was endlessly tweaking it until I got an original this fall (late '76 judging by serial number which I don't remember, although chassis says 2/77). Mine's a 60W with EQ and reverb, presence on back panel. I had swapped the speaker in the reissue - first to an EVM12L (improvement, but OMG what a stiff and unresponsive and dull speaker!!), then to the holy grail - Altec 417C (original cone of course). It completely transformed the amp - suddenly it had so much more of that responsive liquidness and clarity I had craved, and still with a nice high-end roll-off when pushed. I also experimented with tubes, and ended up with JAN Philips 7581 output tubes (really the best, and what these amps originally came with) and a mixture of RCA and GE in the preamp. I found a GE 5751 in V2 really helped smoothing out the reissue's somewhat congested and gainy sound.

Which leads me to the reissue vs original...for all the tweaking I did over the years, I could never quite get the clarity out of the RI that I craved. Everything came together though when I got the original. At first it was a little weak sounding and impossible to get in the right bias range (somebody had messed with the bias circuit), but I got it serviced with a full filter cap job, reworked bias circuit (with bias pot added and new bias cap) and I had some stupid switching system removed, which had been added to be able to footswitch the EQ. Now the amp looks and sounds cleaner, with the EQ simply switched at the back like it was originally. This leaves the reissue in the dust (with same tubes and speaker) - less gain, but soooo much purer tone without that exaggerated midrange congestion the reissue has. And the reverb is so laughably much lusher on the original. It really begs the question - why mess with perfection? The reissue is, circuitwise, quite different in the preamp. I'm not saying it's a mile off, but far enough that it's really worth looking for an original if you're serious about Mk I tones.

What's everyone's favourite Mk I tones? For me, the holy grail is Carlos Santana on the album Illuminations, which he did in 1974 with Alice Coltrane. Unbeliveable - this is one to check out if only for the *unreal* guitar tones. Fortunately the album is a classic too, and features some outstanding playing by Carlos which is quite outside his normal mold. He really shines on that one.

Another fave (besides pretty much anything by Santana from the seventies) is John McLaughlin on the later Mahavishnu Orchestra albums. Specifically, there's a 1974 live recording (only available in a huge box set from his Montreux Jazz Festival concerts) where his tone is fantastic - explosive, fat, searing. Yet, completely articulate. Another benchmark of the Mk I. I've seen some grainy video from the show, and it's definitely a pair of MkIs in use, but I don't know which speaker. Anyone know?

11. shakti

shakti Member

12. HHB

HHB Member

still waiting to gig the thing, my speaker cab is still set up in the club from last week, report to come in the new year asap

13. shakti

shakti Member

Yet another bump.

14. Roe

Roe Member

shakati, do you live in bjørgvin?

15. shakti

shakti Member

Yes indeed! How come?