Just sliced off the tip of my left index finger

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by CharAznable, Jul 30, 2016.

1. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I hope it gets better for you...

It really sucks. The single most important finger for guitar players.

2. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Here's the blade:

[​IMG]

Here's the "slide" I wore for the first few days

[​IMG]

Here's the gel finger sleeve

[​IMG]

I have a pic of the bloody fingertip lying on the table, but I don't know what TGP rules are concerning gore

Scrapperz likes this.
  3. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I almost signed off for the day when I saw your post was worried I would see an actual finger tip, blah, blah....glad you didn't. I'm usually kidding when I say the "no pic etc etc...".

Glad your ok though. I've gotta Kershaw knife from somewhere around 1980. Dad got it from Ford M.C. when he was "Best of the Best" it was just one gift they would hand out to the top producing employees. It has interchangeable blades and the one's I use the most is much like the blade you have pictured. We've been using it for bread for about 36 years now and it's never been sharpened but it cuts as smooth as it did when it was new. The other blades are still very sharp and one is an actual bone saw blade I used for dressing deer. Needless to say I took a sliver off the tip of my finger with the bread blade once. Wasn't real bad though just took my fingerprints off, lol.

Nice knife, should last forever. :aok

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Gig went great....

My Les Paul gave me more problems than the finger.

Remind me never to gig a Gibson before having a luthier fix the nut.

Was out of tune by the end of the intro of the first song.

mikefair, ZeyerGTR, Bossanova and 5 others like this.
  5. stevel

stevel Member

Glad to hear the finger worked. Too bad the guitar didn't :-(

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

7. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Oh man... major dose of mojo sent. Been there, but have never tried to ride so quickly on the injury... wow. You got stones.

What did we learn, Dorothy? :jo

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    It probably just needs some nut work...

9. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I was cutting a sushi roll this wekend with a 280mm yanagiba that I had just sharpened. I was pushing the knife down and away from me while holding onto the sushi roll with my left hand. It took the thinnest slice of skin from the tip of my index finger but it did cut right into my finger nail with nearly no effort. It could have been much worse.

Hope you heal fast!

10. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Great to hear all went well on the gig. When I first read your post I thought to myself "there's no way he's going to be able to play that gig". Here's to the power of healing!

11. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I did something similar 30+ years ago to my middle fretting finger while cleaning fish. I was in my mid-20's and had been playing (professionally at that time) since I was 14. I cut the top almost clean off, maybe an 16th inch or more hanging on buy a very small amount of skin.

I super glued it back on, wrapped it up in tape and kept dumping super glue on it. Didn't go to the doctor. The tip didn't stay on, but it healed. To this day it is noticeably different, weird, shorter than it should be. But, it healed and I could play on it and still do. I bend notes more with my index and ring fingers, and play more passing notes on the middle finger - it changed my technique. But my playing still improved over the years. Don't lose hope.

12. Jcbluesman

Jcbluesman Member

Cover it. Get creative. Hope it works out

13. guirat

guirat Member

I did that to my thumb a few years back. I was used to using a vegetable knife with a flat top that I could push down on, but this time picked up a knife with a blade top & bottom. Nice crescent scar. I kept it bandaged with antiseptic cream, it healed and the feeling came back.
    I've cut my fretting ring finger a few times (strange how it attracts the cuts and knocks), I just let it heal properly, but did play with a carefully positioned fabric plaster which allowed me to practice a bit.

14. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Finger tips have grown back completely if no stitches and not grown back if stitched up. On the other hand, if you play slide well, have fun at the gig... Do you have a gtr playin' friend who can join you guys for the show?... all the more fun and you can take it easy. Not sure how I'd be as the ETA approaches... The last minute choices always seem better when dealt with well ahead of time!

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Those yanagi are like small katana. They'll happily cut through anything, and don't much care whether it's fish or finger.

16. rufedges

rufedges Member

Tip of the finger, doubt you're going to be 100% in two weeks, sorry. You'll be lucky if it's completely healed by then, but, it will be tender for sure. Maybe there some kind of silicone or plastic thimble you can wear on it for your gig, I'd say that's your best bet. A durable band aid bandage might work too, but no way you are playing the same as before in only two weeks.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  17. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Supporting Member

My worst nightmare... I know wouldn't be able to play if that happened to me :(

18. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Necro thread!

This was a month and a half ago. Gig went great. I wrapped my finger in one of those fabric bandaids and it worked great. My playing was a bit compromised but I spent a week practicing alternate fingerings for problem parts.

It's almost completely healed now. You can tell there's a bit missing but I can generally play anything I used to play before the incident. The only thing is that it's still a bit tender if I hit the string at a specific angle.

IGuitUpIGuitDown and Scrapperz like this.
  19. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Necro or not, those fabric band aids work great don't they?

20. rufedges

rufedges Member

LOL, didn't even notice......I've been wanting to upgrade to some chef-quality knives in the kitchen, but haven't just for this exact reason (the wife's cut herself a few times as well). I've had a couple close calls, and I sliced a god chunk off the side of my left hand's index finger about a year or so ago, looked almost like a fingerprint side slice of skin on the blade, I swore that wasn't going to ever stop bleeding, and was weeks - maybe even a month before I could play again.