Just snagged a Blackface Super Reverb..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beNsteR, Jul 21, 2006.

1. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

For US$900 from an old studio.. has been in there since the 60's! The studio owner was selling it along with two 70's twins. it is working fine and sounds great!
    Even has the original tubes in it..

It's a dream come true! Never though i would be able to own an original blackface!

The serial number's A205xx, and according to this site http://www.tcguitar.com/articles/gagliano_pt5.html that makes it a '67.

check it out..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me more about this amp? How much is it actually worth?

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

All I can say is:

SWEET!! :BEER

Nice score, congratulations.

RC

3. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Lucky bastard!! heheheheh She's a Beaut'!! Those have got the most amazing clean/mild-crunch sound. They are really wonderful amps.

You can find them online starting at around 1500. You got a great deal. I'll give you a grand for it!!

I would make it at early '67 since that was the transition year for Black to Silver face. Most all '67's were silver faces.

Steve

4. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Nice amp man. Nothing like a good super.

5. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Wow, if he's selling a BFSR for $900 he must be giving the silverface Twins away. That is a great deal on a great amp.

:BEER

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Beautiful amp and excellent score!

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

two years ago i scored a 65 BF fender Champ at a local pawn shop for 65 bucks. Seems orignal as far as i can tell and all it needed was a new light bulb. I kept the tab and slip for a while as bragging rights, it said old amp 75 bucks, i offered the guy 65 cash and he was happy to take it, and so was I. Every now and then you geta great deal. I like your super reveb looks sweet and well maintained.

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

$900 is a great deal for a '67 Blackface SR. You will probably drop a couple hundred bucks on a tune-up (filter caps, etc.), but it's still a great deal. BFSR's are awsome amps!

-KD

9. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

That's quite the patina that amp has built up on it. Looks like there were a lot of smokers in that studio (since it was the 60's maybe you could put that resin in a pipe ;) ).

A nice BFSR is a thing of beauty.

10. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Haven't you ever heard of "doped" speakers?

BTW, that is a sweeet deal.

11. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

All of a sudden this looks like good material for the next Jay and Silent Bob flick.

12. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Hell yeah, this thing's got a patina! Didn't manage to find any weed though ;)

I find it a little soft (as in not loud) for a super reverb. I can crank it up to 10 and it overdrives a little, but its not ear-splitting volume. Is this normal, or is it a sign that something needs to be replaced? Like the caps, etc..

I pulled out the power tubes to have a look.. they are old Sylvania 6L6GCs, and they are still in good working order. Will check out the other tubes later.

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

AWESOME score. I'm really GREEN right now. LOL. I would love to add an amp with that much MOJO to my collection. Congrats.

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It would be a good idea to visually inspect the inner components and change all original electrolytic caps(power supply,cathode bypass and bias). Some will tell you to just change the ones that leak,but if they're almost 40 yrs. old and your going to play it,change them.If the amp is running correctly,playing it on ten should part your hair.

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

Can't tell you what your amp is worth but I can say that I saw a blackface Super for $1900 today.

16. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Its age alone is a sign that the caps need to be replaced unless they already were (doubtful), and if used a lot in the studio there's a good chance those tubes are weak (and/or original).

You should definitely be getting more than a little overdrive on 10. Have it tuned up by a good tech, newer power cord, etc. and enjoy it the rest of your life. Big Mike is very right, there's nothing like a good Super Reverb.

17. hogy

hogy Member

Super Reverbs rule. One of the classic, must have amps.

From your description yours needs an overhaul by a competent tech.

18. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

From looking at the picture taken from the back, it looks like the tube chart (on the left side) is still intact. The two letter year/month date code stamped on the chart would tell exactly when this amp was built.

You're incorrect about the blackface-to-silverface transition. It occurred right at the END of 1967. Most Fender amps made in 1967 have blackface panels. All amps made in 1968 and beyond are silverfaces. Also, the very earliest silverface amps (easily identifiable by having both aluminum trim around the grill cloth and several thin vertical black lines on the control panel) are 100% blackface in terms of circuitry and physical construction. (One exception - I think this is around the time Fender switched from plywood to particle board speaker baffles.)

19. hogy

hogy Member

All blackface Fenders have particle board baffles.

20. Gary

Gary Member

You are correct Hogy, I have a stock 66 SR and it has a particle board baffle, I also picked up a 67 SR this year for a grand plus 30.00 to ship, particle board baffle!