Just sold my friendship for $200

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sprag, Jul 27, 2019.

1. sprag

sprag Member

I feel $#!++¥ and I may regret this. Though I doubt it.

I took a 4 hour drive up to spend the weekend with an old friend yesterday for his birthday. We did our apprenticeship together and met about 13 years ago. Great night last night. Had way too much to drink and was planning on a bit of the same again tonight...

He's recently given up his daily grass habit which he's proud of and i am too (he definitely has because it was that bad he couldn't make through a few hours without playing a few solos on the Gatorade saxophone) but had lost his job a few months earlier because of failed drug tests.

Anyway. I brought him up some nice beer glasses for a gift. Enough beer to get us through the weekend and then some. We went out today to watch an AFL game at a pub which he asked if I could pay for lunch and beers as he was short - no probs he's not working. Turns out that was a pretence for him to get on the poker machines at the venue (his other long time vice) after he took out money he neglected to mention he had before I'd payed for everything else.

So we come home. Drink a ton of beers, watch some classic concerts and film clips on TV and have a good BBQ steak dinner. A great night by our humble middle age standards. I'm passing out in front of the TV and he starts with the whole "I need to borrow $200 it's my birthday and I'm good for it routine" at first I resist - I know he's only going to blow it all on the pokies tonight which he freely admits. We've both been through rough patches during our friendship. He's paid my way and I've paid his. No ones ever asked for a cash handout and definitely not to pay for a habit

I finally give in, transfer some money and internally say my goodbyes to our friendship.

Not looking for validation, just needed to write it down to get it off my chest.
    Hope this all came out making sense. As I said I have a good beer buzz on.

2. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Odd how cheap some people can sell a friendship or reputation. I don't blame you for cutting ties.

3. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Be glad he did not steal your wallet.

4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Sounds like he’s got some serious issues

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Tough choice, right call. Sorry.

6. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

I glady loan money to friends if it's for bills or legit reasons but that was a tough choice knowing he was only gonna blow it.

~ss

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  7. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

Sounds more like he sold the friendship.

8. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I'm just guessing, but I think you feel like you were tricked into "loaning" him money. Do you think he'll pay you back?

9. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

What does the phrase "play a few solo's on the Gatorade saxophone" mean?

PLX, 70 Mach 1, NB_Terry and 5 others like this.
  10. beezer

beezer Member

Wrong thing to do . He has issues and you are his friend ,hell you drove 4 hours for the guy,so he is worth it . You gave him $200 ,kiss it goodbye and don't give him anymore .

11. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

12. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

Why the F would you give him the $? It seemed clear where it was going so you can't hand it over. A good friend would have declined and told him about his degenerate ways.

13. Calebz

Calebz Member

I took that to mean bong rips.

As a fairly successful and productive longtime pot head, I don't think this guys weed habit is a root problem. It's just the easiest one to focus on because of recent negative consequences.

OP - has he always been like this? If so you probably made the right choice by making the mental break away from him. If this is just a phase, y'all can always revisit your friendship later on down the road.

sprag, Franklin, Vintage_ and 6 others like this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He's apparently traded one addiction for another...you've "helped" him...now stay away! Good luck!

Spooky Action and sprag like this.
  15. 84superchamp

Been there: a friend and coworker hit me up for a hundred bucks but luckily, the word was already out about his pain killer addiction. I just said "i don't loan money to coworkers, just a bad thing to do". He immediately back-pedaled, apologizing for asking and within a month, lost a very well paying job and a year, dead. Before he went, he had lost all self respect and most of his friends. Drug addiction seems to just suck all the good attributes out of you.

ShredSquatch and sprag like this.
  16. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Australian slang for a fruit machine. Your friend has odd habits. :dunno

sprag, Shiro, Angeln and 1 other person like this.
  17. 84superchamp

On the humorous side, my dad worked with a guy, making more money than dad, who was always asking for a $5 loan. A straight-arrow dude (no drugs or alcohol) he was finally figured out: he owed someone 5 bucks and would borrow to pay that debt, then borrow from someone else to pay the last guy...and on and on. Maybe a game with him, why not just pull a fiver from your wallet and pay it off?

sprag, VooDooClown and Shiro like this.
  18. 84superchamp

"Will work for apples"

sprag and Shiro like this.
  19. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

But he'll surely come calling for more again. Then that's when the next showdown will be. Likely a far more uncomfortable one at that...

sprag and Scrapperz like this.
  20. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Sorry about the end of your friendship, but you did the right thing. Giving him the $200 as a parting gift was gracious and generous of you. About 13 years ago, I had to cut off an alcoholic friend who was similarly manipulative, dishonest and self-destructive. Not an easy thing to do.