Just took a flyer on a used Alessandro English

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gavinashun, Nov 4, 2018.

1. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I'll be trying this setup:

Alessandro English --> Fryette PS2 --> Avatar Forte replica 1x12 with Alnico Gold

Using the PS2 since the English is a non-master volume amp and everyone says it is very loud, and this will also give me an effects loop, which it also doesn't have.

Could be a killer rig, and also very portable: English = 28 pounds, PS2 = 15 pounds, Avatar 1x12 is pretty light. I know combined weight is like a normal big amp, but having each piece be lighter is helpful IMO.

Not a ton of TGP threads or YT clips on the English so this is a bit of a risk. But the place I bought it from has good refund policy, and the price was good anyway so I bet I can sell it for minimal loss, so I want to go for it.

Any English users (past/present) want to chime in with any thoughts on this rig? Should have it in a week or so!

vmann likes this.
  2. JDutch

JDutch Member

No direct experience, but I've seriously considered Alessandro amplifiers before, and the English is the one I'd buy. The way it does clean-to-mean, and its vocal quality, in this YouTube clip is enough to make me want one:

macmax77 and gavinashun like this.
  3. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Yeah that video was what sold it for me. I have been in the market for an EL84 amp ... and then seeing that clip put me over the top. There had been an English sitting in Reverb for what seemed like a reasonable price so I had to go for it.

JDutch likes this.
  4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I used to play an Alessandro English at Ultrasound Rehearsals. They had about 20 amps in the big room.

The English was my favorite amp. I didn't find it very loud though. I was playing it through a 4x12 of Celestion Blues.

I think you'll like it. Very musical.

gavinashun likes this.
  5. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Nice man, yeah I'm pretty psyched!

6. cnardone

cnardone Member

I have a Beagle which is the same circuit but has 2 vs 4 EL84s. I run it into a single Blue. They are very responsive. Hit it hard and it growls and back off and it off cleans up. No need to even touch the volume knob. The mid control is VERY interactive and can really change the character. They are VERY fast, immediate amps. Someone on this board once complained "I like to know what note I am playing before it comes out of the amp." Give yourself a little time to get used to the feeling.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but as nice as the amp sounds with double HB, It is that much better with singles. Just gorgeous sounds.

Good luck I hope you love it.
    cmn

gavinashun and grendel like this.
  7. grendel

grendel Member

If you bought the Oak one on reverb recently, it used to be mine. It's awesome and an amp I regretted selling. Ultimately I decided I wanted a few other specific things, which basically was a different sort of distortion from my amps, but that amp is super dynamic and has incredible speed and punch. Wisper to full on with your pick, like driving a very fast car with fast transients, etc. a la this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/what-is-a-fast-amp.1379016/
    Definitely one of the best feeling amps I have played... maybe the opposite of a 5e3 or some such.. lol. Totally turned me on to that whole simple short signal path design ethos and what is was/is about.

Laurence likes this.
  8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I had an English and sold it to get a Black 'n Tan. I also have a Plott and a couple other Alessandros. What cnardone wrote is accurate about all the models. I regret selling the English and hope to find the right deal some day. I'd say you're in for some fun.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I traded my Bloodhound for an English-definitely less volume than a pair of 6550s at 60w, but the same basic "class A" style transition from clean to overdrive...

10. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Yup, I bought the light wood-looking one that was recently on Reverb. The add said Zebra Wood but looks similar to Oak - this one: https://reverb.com/item/14762267-2014-alessandro-english-coonhound-standard-zebra-wood-452. Was this one yours?

I've been a "clean amp / pedal platform" guy for a long time and have really wanted to try out getting my gain from an amp, as well as experiencing amp dynamics. I've also really wanted a great EL84 amp. So this seemed like a great one for me to try.

11. JDutch

JDutch Member

Demo'ing all of the amps in Ultrasound's former-Ultra Room might be what I miss the most about the time I lived in NYC. I remember seeing some Alessandro amplifiers there, but I never plugged into one. Wish I had. Still have the Matchless HC-30, Bruno Underground 30, Bruno Cowtipper 45, and Victoria 45410 I bought from Gene, who's probably the best guy I've ever dealt with the guitar/amp sales business.

PaulE likes this.
  12. JDutch

JDutch Member

That's a beautiful headshell, but I agree, it doesn't look like Zebra Wood. Not that it matters. A well-constructed, hard-wood headshell will sound as good as any other.

13. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Ah, yeah I don't really know what Zebra Wood looks like, lol. I actually don't love the look of that wood - looks a little bit like an old piece of furniture or something. I'm not a person who cares at all about gear aesthetics though so I could care less what it looks like.

If I can get some tones and dynamics like in that TGP'er video above, I'll be a very happy camper!

PS - That Ultrasound space sounds freaking amazing!

14. grendel

grendel Member

Yes that was mine at one point... it's Oak burl AFAIK. When I sold that amp, I shipped it to Alessandro, then he shipped it to the buyer after a health check where it got a clean bill of health.
    YMMV... but I really liked that amp and it is actually one I regret selling sometimes. I will definitely pickup another Alessandro at some point, but I went down the TW express rabbit hole for the moment. :->

gavinashun likes this.