Just tried a 2008 Gibson LP classic-a note on chambering

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heavysoul, Sep 9, 2008.

1. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

i just tried a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Classic. when it was handed to me, i noticed how light it was—not knowing that they're chambering LP classics as well. the one i tried was a goldtop. couple of cool little things: they're going back to the Les Paul "model" on the headstock instead of "classic" and you get the historically accurate yellow switch tip on the PU selector. unfortunately you still have the 1960 lettering on the pickguard.

the setup was terrible but overall i didn't notice any flaws cosmetically. i plugged it and started noodling. it sounded noticably hollow to me. the ceramic PUs that come stock with the classic are hot but they sounded like low output humbuckers. in fact the PUs seemed like they were gasping for air. it did have an "airy" tone to it but not in a nice Low output PAF way. maybe the one i tried happen to be a dead piece of wood. all things mentioned points to the chambering IMHO.

chambered vs weight relieved, heavy vs light. to each his own i guess...

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

300k pots stock from Gibson should choke the life out of any humbucker. They found a great way to save like 50 cents a guitar and make their modern production line guitars sound like absolute crap. Great going, Gibson!

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I love my 07 Classic Gold Top. Nothing mutted ot dead about the wood. Very resonant and lively and sounds huge with the new 57 Classics I installed.

4. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

I've got a couple chambered LPs and I don't really mind it. In fact, it's really nice to have a lightweight LP because weight is always a concern with guitars for me. That's one of the main reasons I sold my old Jazzmaster, it weighed a ton!

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

People were paying a premium for the original Cloud 9 chambered LPs. Now that it's a standard feature they act like it's bad.

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

My chambered Guild Nightbird sounded flat and farty with someone's idea of aftermarket "shredder" buckers put in there. As part of my reclamation project, I'm putting some GFS Ric-type buckers in there today, I'll report back by tomorrow what the change is (hopefully an improvement).

7. go7

go7 Member

I actually liked the tone of the chambered LP. It did however have other issues. It`s gone.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a 2007 GOTW #44 Standard I bought and it feels very light too, and is loud acoustically, which makes me think it's chambered as well. But it sounds great, although the wound strings on the neck pup can get a bit to bassy at times. I didn't know Gibson is using 300k pots? Is that right? I've always used 500k. Hmmmm.

9. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

My chambered Guild Bluesbird doesn't have any such problems....of course, it has SD '59s and 500K pots (all stock), and I replaced the ceramic tone-caps.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't like that chambered/hollowed/airy guitar tone. When they have that hollowbody like tone acoustically, it never sounds tight enough and defined, plugged in. From the Epiphone Elites to the Historic cloud nines, they all lacked punch and that definitive LP chunk. I guess it's an okay sound for some stuff, but not very LP like.

11. jrm

jrm Member

I picked one of those up the other day and was SHCOKED at the weight. It felt very nice and sounded great too.

12. jojo

jojo Member

I can't stand the chambered classics. I have a LPVM and it's chambered, but if I pay over 1K for a les paul, it better have some weight to it.

13. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

yeah that's what i'm talking about. It seemed to have lacked that midrange "punch" when attacking notes and that points to chambering IMO.

14. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

I have a 2007 GOW#2 Classic Antique. Chambered with '57 Classic PU's. I love the chambered tone. My son just got his Epiphone Plus Top Les Paul yesterday. We both strummed our guitars (unplugged) at the same time and you could definitely hear the more accoustic tone from my Gibson vs. his Epi. He noticed and mentioned the difference first. We both like the tone. Chambered is good.

15. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I bought a chambered LP... I thought that it sounded pretty good in the store, but after one song on one gig, and I took it back and traded it for a non-chambered model... I can't say that it sounded "worse" under live gig conditions, but it definitely sounded "different" than the non-chambered model... it was likely a combination of things - probably including a few of psychology-related issues...

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Update on the 1985 Guild Nightbird with spruce carved top and chambered 'hog body, New Pickups (the Ric-sounding GFS ones, "Memphis" Retrotrons, delivered in a day, thanks GFS! The ones pulled were 80's Seymour Duncan PAF-wannabees as suspected) and the sound is clean and chimey but can lay the fat slap down with the neck, really takes advantage of the chambered body - LOVE IT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rick Kelly did the deed, and wiped off years of man sludge on the back, tuned her up and she's playing clean and mean now!