Just tried a Duesenberg Catalina Elite

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by maydaynyc, Mar 5, 2015.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I was really impressed. I never played or even paid much attention to Duesenbergs before, thinking they were just overpriced collector guitars. But this guitar looked beautiful, played really well, both the neck P90 and the bridge humbucker sounded great through the Friedman Dirty Shirley I used, and their whammy bar system was impressive. At $3068 it still strikes me as overpriced, but it was a very nice guitar. At $2200 I think I would have bought it on the spot.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/22794/Duesenberg-Fullerton-Elite-Catalina-Electric-Guitar-Blue/

Anyone else play this model, or brand? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes it plays fine but I thought more like $1250 considering it's MIK budget parts and thick finish. Similar to a Gretsch Electromagnet series and a robbery.

3. maydaynyc

LOL. That a good one. Do they really make that in Korea? On the Dusenberg website it says made in Germany. I have to be honest, it didn't feel cheap to me like some guitars do. But I only played it for about 10 minutes.

Glad to see that someone else thinks they are overpriced though.

4. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky Member

There was a whole HUGE thread on here not too long ago about the whole issue of these things being MIK. Yes, evidently, the parts are manufactured in Korea and the "finishing work" (ostensibly including final assembly and electronics) is done in good ol' Deutschland allowing the company to claim "made in Germany" somehow.

Very disingenuous and, therefore, untrustworthy company if you ask me, but that's just my opinion. I've never played, but if I did and the mojo was there (they sure look GREAT in the pics I admit) I would pick one up for the right price. I would NEVER spend more than $1500 on one. But that's just me man.

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The analogy to the Gretsch Electromatics is sound, at least for the 2 I played. Serviceable but unremarkable.

6. airportbar

airportbar Member

I'd put them up with the pricier Reverends like the Rick Vito or Pete Anderson. $1500 sounds about right. Maybe if they started putting "Crafted in Korea, Assembled in Germany" on them, the U.S. distributor might float back down to reality. As it is, the intentional shell game keeps the U.S. prices in the realm of :nuts.

7. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky Member

The hipsters love 'em, play right into their sly marketing.

8. Serenity

Serenity Member

Couldn't care less about where they're manufactured. Just because some of it is MIK doesn't mean budget quality. Every Duesenberg i've played has been excellent, i'd rather have a Starplayer TV than any current Gibson offering.

9. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I've tried a Starplayer, and it sounded very, very good. It was, however, surprisingly heavy and rather chunky of neck. Nice, but expensive wherever it was made. (I understand patriotism, but the idea that Koreans are somehow less able to build guitars is something I don't get at all.)

10. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky Member

Yeah that's all fine and good, but then why wasn't (isn't) the company more forthright on where their guitars are being made?

In the original thread I referenced several of posters spoke about sending (via email) questions to the company about this issue and receiving either an ambiguous response or none at all. I mean, come on man.

11. archey

archey Member

I dig them except for the neck too. With a neck that fat it would more sense to have a shorter scale length.

12. goldtone

goldtone Member

Nice guitars but way overpriced. Give me a Gibson any day.

And they should be more forthcoming about the Korea connection. I like Asian plenty of guitars, especially Japanese. Why hide it if it's not a big deal?

13. maydaynyc

Yeah, the neck felt really long at first. In fact when I first saw the guitar on the wall I thought it might be a Bari until I got it in my hands. But after a few minutes I got used to both the scale length and shape. It felt nice in my hands. And it really played well. It was set up nicely and had perfect action.

I'm no expert but I bet they would sell much better if they were priced in the low 2000's.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

You can buy that model from the UK for around $2000 and have it shipped.

15. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

I have yet to see a hipster slinging a Doozy, and I live in the center of the hipster galaxy. They're far more likely to be playing offsets, Harmonies, Teles... I've actually seen a couple of Reverends.

No Doozies, though.

16. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

Could you PM me and tell me more:)

17. maydaynyc

Agreed, I get the feeling they are more the guitar of rich old white dudes.

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

Here ya go. It's no big secret. You just have to hope you get a good one without trying it out first. Also, not sure how Customs works as far as fees, but I'm sure you'll look into that.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/duesenberg.html

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Bling is expensive to add to a guitar, more importantly, profitable.

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes it is MIK, the hardware is built by one of the cheapest supplier on OEM parts in the business and the electrics are poor. Now add a foot thick poly finish and you have a nice looking and (pleked)nice playing massively overpriced guitar.
    Take a look at MIK ESP ltd guitars and try to figure out the price differential.