Just uploaded the first in a series of demo videos - POD HD500X

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by PJH, Jan 30, 2015.

1. PJH

PJH Member

Hi everyone,

I've just finished the first in a series of demo videos featuring the POD HD500X modeller.

This fist video features a few of the amps with a few different settings for each.

I've had the unit for about a month and have had the time to spend getting to know it a bit better.

I hope to make a number of vids with tips etc that I'd like to share on the forum.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,

Peter.

2. Foss38

Foss38 Member

Thanks for doing this Peter... great work !

3. moonblack

moonblack Member

try lowering the res and thump will improve the sound.

4. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks for the comment. It was my pleasure.

Cheers.

5. heretic

heretic Member

Pure class! Tip of the hat to you, Sir.

Thanks for the vids, Peter!

6. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Forwarded to our PR manager. Thanks, Peter—sounds great!

7. LouDem

LouDem Member

Very professional job demoing sounds that would be very useful for gigging and recording. I own and gig with the HD500, and it's very easy to use live and sounds good in a variety of environments. It's also refreshing that you played basic, well thought of parts to demo the unit.

8. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated.

@DI - Thanks for the heads up!

@ LouDem, thanks for your comments.

Yes, I played parts that hopefully showed what each patch was capable of, keeping it simple.

The patches will obviously sound a bit different on other systems (different gtrs, different playing style etc) but they can be approached as a starting point to get you into the ballpark and then tweak to taste.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Peter.

9. rsm

rsm Member

Sounds great, so does your playing! Thanks for this!

10. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks rsm, it was my pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Peter.

11. jammers5

jammers5 Member

Sounds fantastic! I have this unit and LOVE it! Can't wait for more videos in this series!

J5

12. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Sounds great, Peter. You really know what you are doing, and there is no pesky string noise coming off the guitar neck to mess up the high frequency sound – an oft overlooked factor in video demos.

Someone mentioned turning the Cab DEP Res to 0%. Yes, that is what the default should be; as the Res can only add resonance to the speaker IR. Use the Cab DEP knobs with caution to avoid mud. Also, you may find it handy to use a loop to tweak your presets. It's much easier in general, and you won't have any interference from sound coming off the guitar. Of course, use an accurate monitoring setup, and edit presets at ~75 - 85dBa RMS to even out the F.M. loudness curve.

13. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks GC,

Yes, the HD500X was recorded straight into the desk. No camera mics!

You're correct - You'll only get a true reflection of the tone above a certain volume level. Unfortunately making patches at a very low level will definitely not sound the same at a higher level.

My patches were all created at a decent level. Quite a bit louder than your average "bedroom" level.

Cheers,

Peter.

14. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Love the production quality and the demo playing. I look foward to your other videos.

Nothing personal here, but that first tone, how do I say this. For example in the intro, when the chord is played and held I hear that nasty "something" lurking just underneath the main tone. Again, it's not you Peter, it's the HD500X. I listened to the first few tones as much as I could and then fast forwarded to the last tone. Better, but high gain sort of masks the problem.

Anyway I really want to see your next videos. Tell me what you think about setting Resonace to zero and maybe the Lo cut to 100 or higher. I'm going to download some of your presets.

Love your work, trying to love the HD. It's getting there.

15. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Upon listening back, I hear what you are saying. It could be from setting the treble and presence up higher than necessary for electric guitars where the speaker s roll off at ~5kHz.. Treble and presence at ~3 is actually a more flat eq and more even HF amp feedback damping. Setting those knobs flat or higher stems from compensation for off-axis stage listening position not needed when recording direct. Also, try boosting the mids up to 7-8 for more body -- again, for a flatter response. Guitar amp tone stack eq's are generally calibrated with the bass and treble boosted and mids cut by ~6dB when set nominally at 12 O'clock.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  16. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

Great video, really enjoyed it. Makes me want an HD500x, even though / because I just bought a cheap, used POD X3 Live...

I especially enjoyed the Riff Raff riff. A good riff to showcase note separation in chords and riffing. You have a great taste in music :)

17. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

That's just a great job. Not much to say. Great sounds and very capable player. Great job.

18. PJH

PJH Member

Thanks for the comments, Tmidiman,

I must say that I was a little disappointed with this whole "resonance" thing. The way that a lot of users were going on about it I expected a bit more than I heard.

I feel that on my patches, I found that the tone lost a bit of the "fullness" when turning the resonance off. The jury is still out on this as far as I'm concerned.

GCKelloch, I think you're closer to the mark. The "presence" control on the HD can add a lot of "nastiness" on a distorted patch. But I can tell you that you'll experience exactly the same with a real amp.

I tend to "dull down" a lot of my patches so that when you hear them at low volume, you tend to want to add high end. When you turn up the volume you'll find that you have more than enough high end in the tone. That's why I create my patches at fairly high volume - especially when making a patch for live use.

The patches that I've made available sounded pretty decent on my system but obviously each system is different.

I see my patches as a decent starting point, which the users can teak from there.

I have a couple of "killer" patches coming up in my next vid.

@ Madmax and Chris, thanks for your comments and for checking out the video.

Much appreciated,

Cheers,

Peter.