Just wanted to talk about my rig for a bit ... (NGD)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VivaVirilium, Mar 6, 2015.

1. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

[​IMG]

Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker here so I just wanted to talk a bit about the current set up I'm running (starting with my effect boards). I've been trading pedals for about 10 years now and have finally wound up with a line up that I absolutely LOVE.

Alright so:

[​IMG]

^^This is a slightly older pic, but basically my main signal chain goes like this:

Guitar > Boss TU-2 > Crybaby 535q > Boss GE-7 Equalizer > ZVEX Distortron > Xotic AC Booster > Boss DD-6 Digital Delay > Moog MF-108M Clusterflux > Digitech JamMan Express XT > Amp.

[​IMG]

I have two main amplifiers that I use, the first one is my Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 -- I've been using this amp for a few years now and absolutely love it.

The other amp is an '02-era Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 that I purchased back when I was in high school. The amp sounds fantastic, however it has required a TON of maintenance over the years and unfortunately since I bought it used (from Guitar Center ... major rookie mistake :messedup ) I've had to put a LOT of money into getting it repaired. That said, when it works -- it sounds PHENOMENAL (at least in my opinion).

I also have a 212 cabinet that was gifted to me by a friend a few years ago, I use it to run a Laney PT-30MV Pro-Tube.

Additionally I use a Synthesizer (mainly just for fun, I'm not really much of a keyboardist) that I got from the same friend. I believe it is an Ensoniq VFX, but I'm not exactly sure what the full story on it is. It works properly about 80% of the time, but like I said, my primary focus has always been on guitars, so I'm not much of an expert when it comes to synths.

[​IMG]

The thing with glowing dials is a Behringer Tube Composer -- basically a fancy compressor with cool status LEDs that light up and show you whats going on with various signal channels. I run both the Laney Pro-Tube AND the Ensoniq through it, though the Synth's output goes to the tiny 15 Watt Fender Frontman you can see at the bottom of the rack whereas the Laney goes to the large 212 cabinet.

Just wanted to share ... I've FINALLY have had time to organize my rig and work out all of the kinks that I've encountered along the way. There is also some stuff that I use for channel splitting, but it's kind of a boring/overly complicated story so I wont get too much into it :beer

2. rck

rck Supporting Member

Very cool setup/s. I like the TA-15 a lot (never tried a DSL series Marshall).

This is TGP and no stone gets left unturned, so I have to ask about your switching system, I notice the Livewire A/B/Y. Do you run your amps in Stereo or what configuration/s do you use and why?

What do you like/dislike about your dirt pedals and why did you settle on those?

3. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

Thanks! Well right now the Livewire ABY box is basically just used to switch between the Marshall and Laney "in real time." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into my set up (picked it up less than 2 weeks ago).

The dirt pedals are purely a matter of personal taste. I've used the Xotic AC Booster as my go-to OD for a long time and had been looking for a good fuzz pedal to accompany it. After trying the AC Booster out with several different "heavy distortion" pedals, I found that it stacks really well when placed *after* the Zvex. The Zvex also has lots of toggle switches, which I am a big sucker for. I like to use the Distortron as the "fuzz base" and the AC Booster as the "Fuzz Refiner," if that makes sense. Also, I managed to snag the Zvex for a really fair used price, which is always nice :p

4. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

First: I love this comment hahaha.

Second: OMG YES, you should check out "How Music Works." It is absolutely fascinating and has fundamentally reshaped the way I approach writing my own music as well as playing guitar just for fun. I haven't read "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts," but I'll check it out if I get a chance.

EDIT: And to answer someone else's question about "what I use the channel splitter for," you actually inspired me to re-rig my setup so that the Mesa and Marshall are now hooked up in a stereo format. Awesome comment :idea

EDIT EDIT: Wow, I didn't realize "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" is an album, not a book. Guess I'm not as big of a David Byrne fan as I originally thought :p

5. rck

rck Supporting Member

nice eye Kepling, glad you asked as I noticed it too, but didn't want to bombard the OP. I'm picking a copy up of it now!

VV, sweet deal on the Stereo, I bet the combo of those two are nice!

I've been experimenting with a Stereo set up quite a bit at home recently (couple of gigs too) and need to get A/B/Y switch, so you're use/s of one peaked my interest.

6. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

Feel free to bombard me all you want, I do my best to try to answer any questions thrown my way (as long as I have time to respond) :beer .

Yeah, the stereo setup ROCKS. I'm able to use the MoogerFooger as a central hub for the Jam Man XT + everything else so I can split my guitar signal through either/both the Marshall JCM2000 (which runs at 40 watts) AND my beloved Mesa TA-15 (which maxes out at 25 watts). It's perfect for bedroom playing, or if you wanted to take it mobile, I'm sure it would sound great in a small-medium sized club.

7. rck

rck Supporting Member

I've read and heard demos on the Distortron and how it can get a little fuzzy, so yes, it does make sense to have a booster to stack with it!

Have you tried any other dirt pedals with the TA-15 and whatcha think about them (I have Mesa 550 plus and am currently going thru a dirt "search")?

8. ryryskis

ryryskis Member

it's both a novel and an album.