Just watched a U2 concert....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by valvestate, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:29 PM.

1. valvestate

valvestate Member

... and it was amazing! I'm a bit baffled though that even my wife commented how can the guitarist do all those sounds.. i was like thinking, that is impossible for the Edge to do all those sounds in "With or Without You" or "In The Name of Love (Pride)"

So I assume they're all using some pre recorded licks and samplers right?? Not really a problem with me but I feel that it just kinda takes away the 'rawness' of a live performance.

Edge switches guitars every freakin song!!! Lol!! He still hasn't found what he us looking for I guess :cool:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:04 PM
    Litterick, EL34, ford and 10 others like this.
  2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised if there were samples and loops added to make up for all of Edge's guitar parts on an album. They have the technology. I saw U2 on the Achtung Baby tour, and listened to a number of live U2 recordings. In all appearances, several of the songs sounded very empty with Edge only playing one of the many guitar parts in a typical U2 song. U2 customarily has always had a full and busy-sounding mix in the studio. Case in point: Pride (In the Name of Love) is a great U2 song that has lots of cool guitar tracks all doing all sorts of different things that thicken up the sound of that studio recording (listen to it with headphones sometime and pick out all the different guitars you hear, especially all the subtle single note rhythmic lines Edge put in there to give Larry's drums and Adam's bass parts more meat in the opening measures). Guitar-wise that tune has always sounded very thin live when U2 performs it. Personally, I'd rather they use the technology so I can hear it with all the guitar tracks while watching Edge play one of the many parts. It's all his recorded work anyway.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 8:49 PM
  3. valvestate

valvestate Member

Indeed you have a point that without the loop and pre recorded sounds, it will really be thin sounding.

Why don't they just hire some dudes that can Just play in the background for an accompaniment... :confused

slider, ford, Guitarheel62 and 2 others like this.
  4. Emigre

Emigre Member

If you're talking about Singapore (saw the concert Saturday) I was far more annoyed by the echoey acoustics in the Stadium which turned a lot of the music to mush, rather any use of tracks :)

5. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Member

I saw them on tv once and they had some obvious keyboards though no key player onstage.

6. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

They have been using backing tracks (or a sequencer) as far back as the first Joshua Tree tour, to my knowledge.

7. Emigre

Emigre Member

The Edge rocked the keys on this one :)

8. Emigre

Emigre Member

LOL, ironic as the current tour is also The Joshua Tree (assuming this is the one the OP is referring) :p

ford likes this.
  9. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

Saw them on The Unforgettable Fire tour. Great show! Way better than the garbage they are putting out these days.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    wildflower and Batch like this.
  10. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

This. I saw them in 87 on that tour and there were definitely backing tracks. Didn't enjoy the show any less because of it.

fretless, HERSCHEL, Drew68 and 3 others like this.
  11. shane8

shane8 Member

yep sequencers galore

monty likes this.
  12. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

There’s some great stuff on their last two discs. Just have to let it get the hooks in you.

ford, HERSCHEL, shane8 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Even back before they used tracks the Edge covered a surprising lot ground. The man knows how to fill his sonic space in a creative manner.

14. Guppie

Guppie Member

I really expected someone to come in and rip on the Edge because he can't play Eruption.
    I'm not going to do that. The Edge is amazing as a musician.

15. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Oh, I'm not complaining (and not implying that you were implying). 'Streets' is the perfect example - I can't imagine that song without the ambient keyboard intro, and wouldn't have wanted to hear it live without it. Bring on the backing tracks - it's all about the performance.
    (Let's be honest, Depeche Mode wouldn't have been where they are today without them - not complaining there either, since they are also one of my top favorite bands.)

monty likes this.
  16. Tootone

Tootone Member

Was this live in Singapore?

I can honestly say after seeing them in Perth, where I was right at the front and right next to his "Dry" AC30... Edge is playing 99% everything... cos I could hear it straight from his amp.

However, he splits his signal and runs the splits through different banks of effects... Multiple Delays and Shimmer Reverbs are the obvious ones.... and under the Stage... Dallas Shoo is controlling the effects... expression pedals, faders, mixers etc...

The Edge still has some effects control from the stage (like the Whammy in Even Better Than the Real Thing) , but a lot is done by Dallas.

But there were definitely moments where I could hear violins/strings, and other orchestrations... I would guess these were live and played by session musicians off stage... because Bono has a tendency to go off on a "beautiful people" monologue... not sure a backing track could handle that.

17. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

There's a hidden understage instrumentalist that has played with them for years.

18. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Terry Lawless is a keyboard player... They use him for the organ parts in the live shows, Streets Have No Name intro, One verse parts, etc

U2 does use backing tracks, mostly for percussion sounds (check out the beging of Elevation from the Boston live DVD a few years ago). The only song I know they use a guitar backing track is Even Better Than the Real thing, where the track is playing the whammy guitar part.

19. monty

monty Member

And he has a spare for each and every one of them!

Guitarheel62, valvestate and shane8 like this.
  20. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Great thread! (I’m a massive U2 fan — not just of the Edge, the entire band. But especially Edge.)

Listened to ‘The Unforgettable Fire” on a recent road trip, and “Achtung Baby” is a perennial favorite. Was musing how Brian Eno, Flood and Daniel Lanois added all those fantastic sonic textures during the making of U2’s studio recordings ... and how Edge, along with Dallas Shoo, works to fill out the soundscape while performing live.

Gasp100, valvestate and shane8 like this.