• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Just watched a U2 concert....

BrokenRomeo

Yes, they like many bands, have tracks playing to fill in their live sound...it's either that, or have a bunch of extra musicians on or off stage.

Tootone

Why is it that every worship band that I've ever heard, sounds like U2? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.
Because the church elders have theologised and concluded that God doesn't have a problem with The Edge. In fact, God likes a bit of U2 through his earbuds when he is smiting. And the Angels are still trying to nail the Streets intro on their harps.

martyman

... and it was amazing! I'm a bit baffled though that even my wife commented how can the guitarist do all those sounds.. i was like thinking, that is impossible for the Edge to do all those sounds in "With or Without You" or "In The Name of Love (Pride)"

So I assume they're all using some pre recorded licks and samplers right?? Not really a problem with me but I feel that it just kinda takes away the 'rawness' of a live performance.

Edge switches guitars every freakin song!!! Lol!! He still hasn't found what he us looking for I guess :cool:
There's a ton of stuff on various U2 forums on this. There's also a nice bit with The Edge in his private studio in "It Might Get Loud" where it's just him and he shows how he builds a track. And somewhere there's a recording of Edge's in ear feed with stage directions, counts in and the like. I feel he is unique in the way he has incorporated the available technology to create massive soundscapes and their show never disappoints. I saw the Joshua Tree show a couple of years ago. The "rawness" was there in early tunes like "New Year's Day" and "Pride" but Joshua Tree is such a layered piece (and I feel it does play like a single piece with movements) that the technology is needed to bring it to life.

Net-net, did you enjoy the show?

mikebat

They sound massive live, as they do on record.

I will never understand the guys who get all huffy and puffy when it comes to a band playing with a sequencer or backing tracks. They want to produce the sound of the records and don't want to crowd the stage with guys the audience does not care to see. If the vocal mics were turned off and Edge's guitar was not plugged in and he was just lip synching his playing....then I could see feeling short changed. If there is sound to support what they guys on stage are doing...I am good with that

If you want basic rock or blues, well...there are plenty of bands that do that well too.

cookieshoes

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
This. I saw them in 87 on that tour and there were definitely backing tracks. Didn't enjoy the show any less because of it.

I saw them that year as well in Denver. It was the show that was used for much of Rattle and Hum. It was one of the greatest concert experiences of my life.

I don't know exactly why but I've never watched the film.

martyman

jrbanjo

If you're talking about Singapore (saw the concert Saturday) I was far more annoyed by the echoey acoustics in the Stadium which turned a lot of the music to mush, rather any use of tracks :)
I saw the Joshua Tree tour last year and it was one of the most disappointing concert experiences I’ve ever had and it was due to the exact thing this person mentions above. I could barely enjoy the live Joshua Tree performance because it was so damn echoey. Time to rethink the mega dome shows and do multiple nights at smaller arenas. Just my opinion.

and I’m a huge fan - I was at the Houston JT show in 1987.

Trending Topics