Just watched a U2 concert....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by valvestate, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:29 PM.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Nothing against Bono seems a little hard to believe... We are talking about the live production and you bring up a photo with two 19 year old women. How many photos like this can you find? He has been a rock star for nearly 50 years... Bono is no Gene Simmons. Also the "protest" at Glastonbury, was about 30 people, out of 200,000.

shane8 likes this.
  2. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

I was just relaying what others have said. I don't care what U2 does.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    NAME likes this.
  3. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

Like I told the other guy... I don't care what they, or any other band does or doesn't do. Rock died around the time Kurt Cobain was murde... I mean, committed suicide.

4. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Member

Right, we were talking about live production, and someone brought up a question about how the Edge is able to make all of those sounds at the same time, and then "the guy under the stage" was mentioned, which most people don't know about. Cue me selecting "Other Things About U2 That You Probably Also Don't Know About" for $400.

I'm sure I couldn't find many photos like the one of Bono with the two girls. Which is the point. Secretive band keeps their image, production, and business tightly under wraps. The tax thing was particularly surprising, because there really isn't a way for U2 to rationalize that kind of thing. But then again, they have had a guy literally under the stage for 2 decades. So, what do I know?

P.S. Most protests are done by small groups of people. That's the point of the protest, to draw attention and get more awareness. Doesn't change the validity of the point they're making.

valvestate likes this.
  5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I just love how even though the songs have a very strong guitar sonic signature, they are not completely guitar centric. He is always creating and playing specifically for the song. This is the same reason I love Andy Summers as well.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Like the motif for Beautiful Day @2:50... I mean, it's very unique and simply beautiful (to my ears at least)

7. chrisjnyc

Except Terry Lawless is not a secret. His website shows he is the full time touring musician with U2. Bono has mentioned him at various times during the shows, etc
    He even came out to play onstage a few years ago:

This article is from 10 years ago:
    https://santamariatimes.com/news/lo...cle_2246e69c-6f59-5f66-b94b-eb735216b7c4.html

Moving the finances around is not unique to U2 or most corporations... If your favorite band (obviously not U2) made some accounting changes would you stop listening to them??

shane8 and valvestate like this.
  8. martyman

martyman Member

Okay, maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard, take your medicine and lie down for a while. Okay?

pomfret, valvestate and Stratburst70 like this.
  9. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

visible onstage and discreetly on the side seems like the honest and nondisruptive way to do it. Invisible under the stage feels the opposite.

10. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

:rotflmao I loved everything up to The Unforgetable Fire. They Lost me at The Joshua Tree.

11. DV52

DV52 Member

you lost me a Rock died with Kurt ...
    Really,?

Miracle Man likes this.
  12. archtop

archtop Member

I admire U2 and Edge a lot. Early on in their career, Edge was faced with the challenge of being more than a guitarist... the question mark was could he write great songs? I absolutely think he’s written some of the finest songs of the last 50 years (along with the rest of U2). His guitar playing and sound creation are all in service of his creative process, and in service of creating those songs.

The reason he has such a massive guitar rig, is his dedication to reproducing the album sounds that have spanned his whole career, live. It’s in service of the songs. The reason there is a guy under the stage playing extra parts, is not because he’s a hidden member of the band, or because they’re incapable of playing those parts... he’s there to reproduce the extra parts from the original albums (that likely Edge played in the studio), in service of the songs, and the audience.

For the haters, it all boils down to the idea that the only kind of authentic music, is that which can be played by four guys in a room or on a stage, and anything else is somehow trickery, and a sign that the band is inept.

It’s an old idea, and a boring one. I urge you to go back and look at the evolution of the Beatles. They started as four guys in a room, but seriously would you rather Sgt. Pepper’s didn’t exist, because it has other musicians on it? The only difference is, the Beatles never took Sgt. Pepper’s on the road. The idea of the studio as a creative tool is foundational to rock and roll. It’s not a trick.

You might not like U2. Fine. But you should admire them, if not for their songs (of which their are countless great ones), you should admire them for their longevity. Can you name another band that has existed longer with their original members? No, you can’t.

13. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

o_O That's not what I said. Read the post again.

14. shane8

shane8 Member

it's interesting about the extra help U2 get with sequencers & musos under the floor

was thinking about led zep …. does anyone remember them ?

they played all their songs live with just the 4 of 'em & somehow managed :|

15. chrisjnyc

I have read a few comments that Terry is very shy and doesn't want to be on the stage... but have no first hand knowledge to back that up. Also, probably worth noting that Terry doesn't play on every song.

16. DV52

DV52 Member

17. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

THIS is U2!!!

freedom's door likes this.
  18. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I've been able to find several really good songs on them.

19. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

o_O

20. mikebat

mikebat Member

You can force we to drink wine any day. If not...I can poor it down the drain, no harm in any way.