• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Just watched a U2 concert....

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Call it a fun fact? By the way, I've got nothing against Bono/U2 etc. War is one of my favorite albums ever. I think Bono's "alleged" dual life is in the same vein as the band having that dude under the stage all these years. Like, wha? Not what I expected. Certainly brings things back down to earth.

Regarding the hostage keyboard player, I'm sure there is some explanation from the band regarding "It's how the fans want to see the band". Sure they do, buuuuut I'm gonna imagine that hyper-egomania has more to do with it. John Mayer tours with a bunch of old dudes onstage with him. David Bowie toured with all sorts of different players. Prince toured with all sorts of musicians. Pearl Jam and G n' R have toured with extra musicians. So have Radiohead and the Rolling Stones. Smashing Pumpkins toured with extra musicians in their heyday. Oasis brought out extra musicians for special gigs. That's nearly every other band at that "legend" tier from that era.

And then there was the whole protest at Glastonbury years ago, after U2 dodged paying Irish taxes by moving their business to the tax-friendly Netherlands:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-06-25/glastonbury-gig-u2-faces-protest-over-dodging-irish-taxes
Nothing against Bono seems a little hard to believe... We are talking about the live production and you bring up a photo with two 19 year old women. How many photos like this can you find? He has been a rock star for nearly 50 years... Bono is no Gene Simmons. Also the "protest" at Glastonbury, was about 30 people, out of 200,000.

Goldfinger62

What is corporate spam? Are you referring to "bundling" That is completely different. The U2\Apple deal was a marketing deal where U2 released their album for free to millions of Itunes users, and Apple had them play at an Apple promotional event. I doubt anyone went out to buy an Apple iphone so they could listen to Songs of Innocence... If you are talking about the Apple\U2 tv ads... those are from 2004 when U2 put out the U2 IPOD.
I was just relaying what others have said. I don't care what U2 does.

Last edited:

Goldfinger62

To me...people who freaked about that are over reacting.

Firstly, if people feel violated that someone gave them a gift, throw it away. How hard was that?

To get to the heart of it, since albums sales have vanished, all artists, especially those who have the most $ to lose, are trying to figure out how to make money with the $700k+ records they record. Foo Fighters filmed that HBO special, which certainly made them more money than the cd sales. The U2 gift was a way for a corporate sponsor to pay them in lieu of getting record sales money. Other bands do it with exclusive internet delivered content, others with paid meet and greets. Every artist is trying to figure out the new economy of music. No one seems to be as outraged when a hip hop artist such as Jay-Z does something to make money capitalizing in his fame, but when a rock musician does...he is damned.

No one says it is a perfect, artists are just figuring it all out. What U2 did was just an attempt to keep making money, but they catch a lot of flack because of Bono's declarations about a social and political matters and because the Edge uses delays and is not Clapton, Malmsteen or whatever guitar hero they prefer.

The outrage was so misplaced, in my opinion.
Like I told the other guy... I don't care what they, or any other band does or doesn't do. Rock died around the time Kurt Cobain was murde... I mean, committed suicide.

cookieshoes

Nothing against Bono seems a little hard to believe... We are talking about the live production and you bring up a photo with two 19 year old women. How many photos like this can you find? He has been a rock star for nearly 50 years... Bono is no Gene Simmons. Also the "protest" at Glastonbury, was about 30 people, out of 200,000.
Right, we were talking about live production, and someone brought up a question about how the Edge is able to make all of those sounds at the same time, and then "the guy under the stage" was mentioned, which most people don't know about. Cue me selecting "Other Things About U2 That You Probably Also Don't Know About" for $400.

I'm sure I couldn't find many photos like the one of Bono with the two girls. Which is the point. Secretive band keeps their image, production, and business tightly under wraps. The tax thing was particularly surprising, because there really isn't a way for U2 to rationalize that kind of thing. But then again, they have had a guy literally under the stage for 2 decades. So, what do I know?

P.S. Most protests are done by small groups of people. That's the point of the protest, to draw attention and get more awareness. Doesn't change the validity of the point they're making.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I just love how even though the songs have a very strong guitar sonic signature, they are not completely guitar centric. He is always creating and playing specifically for the song. This is the same reason I love Andy Summers as well.

Great thread! (I’m a massive U2 fan — not just of the Edge, the entire band. But especially Edge.)

Listened to ‘The Unforgettable Fire” on a recent road trip, and “Achtung Baby” is a perennial favorite. Was musing how Brian Eno, Flood and Daniel Lanois added all those fantastic sonic textures during the making of U2’s studio recordings ... and how Edge, along with Dallas Shoo, works to fill out the soundscape while performing live.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Right, we were talking about live production, and someone brought up a question about how the Edge is able to make all of those sounds at the same time, and then "the guy under the stage" was mentioned, which most people don't know about. Cue me selecting "Other Things About U2 That You Probably Also Don't Know About" for $400.

I'm sure I couldn't find many photos like the one of Bono with the two girls. Which is the point. Secretive band keeps their image, production, and business tightly under wraps. The tax thing was particularly surprising, because there really isn't a way for U2 to rationalize that kind of thing. But then again, they have had a guy literally under the stage for 2 decades. So, what do I know?

P.S. Most protests are done by small groups of people. That's the point of the protest, to draw attention and get more awareness. Doesn't change the validity of the point they're making.
Except Terry Lawless is not a secret. His website shows he is the full time touring musician with U2. Bono has mentioned him at various times during the shows, etc
He even came out to play onstage a few years ago:

This article is from 10 years ago:
https://santamariatimes.com/news/lo...cle_2246e69c-6f59-5f66-b94b-eb735216b7c4.html

Moving the finances around is not unique to U2 or most corporations... If your favorite band (obviously not U2) made some accounting changes would you stop listening to them??

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
visible onstage and discreetly on the side seems like the honest and nondisruptive way to do it. Invisible under the stage feels the opposite.

Except Terry Lawless is not a secret. His website shows he is the full time touring musician with U2. Bono has mentioned him at various times during the shows, etc
He even came out to play onstage a few years ago:

This article is from 10 years ago:
https://santamariatimes.com/news/lo...cle_2246e69c-6f59-5f66-b94b-eb735216b7c4.html

Moving the finances around is not unique to U2 or most corporations... If your favorite band (obviously not U2) made some accounting changes would you stop listening to them??

archtop

I admire U2 and Edge a lot. Early on in their career, Edge was faced with the challenge of being more than a guitarist... the question mark was could he write great songs? I absolutely think he’s written some of the finest songs of the last 50 years (along with the rest of U2). His guitar playing and sound creation are all in service of his creative process, and in service of creating those songs.

The reason he has such a massive guitar rig, is his dedication to reproducing the album sounds that have spanned his whole career, live. It’s in service of the songs. The reason there is a guy under the stage playing extra parts, is not because he’s a hidden member of the band, or because they’re incapable of playing those parts... he’s there to reproduce the extra parts from the original albums (that likely Edge played in the studio), in service of the songs, and the audience.

For the haters, it all boils down to the idea that the only kind of authentic music, is that which can be played by four guys in a room or on a stage, and anything else is somehow trickery, and a sign that the band is inept.

It’s an old idea, and a boring one. I urge you to go back and look at the evolution of the Beatles. They started as four guys in a room, but seriously would you rather Sgt. Pepper’s didn’t exist, because it has other musicians on it? The only difference is, the Beatles never took Sgt. Pepper’s on the road. The idea of the studio as a creative tool is foundational to rock and roll. It’s not a trick.

You might not like U2. Fine. But you should admire them, if not for their songs (of which their are countless great ones), you should admire them for their longevity. Can you name another band that has existed longer with their original members? No, you can’t.

shane8

it's interesting about the extra help U2 get with sequencers & musos under the floor

was thinking about led zep …. does anyone remember them ?

they played all their songs live with just the 4 of 'em & somehow managed :|

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
visible onstage and discreetly on the side seems like the honest and nondisruptive way to do it. Invisible under the stage feels the opposite.
I have read a few comments that Terry is very shy and doesn't want to be on the stage... but have no first hand knowledge to back that up. Also, probably worth noting that Terry doesn't play on every song.

DV52

o_O That's not what I said. Read the post again.[/QU
Like I told the other guy... I don't care what they, or any other band does or doesn't do. Rock died around the time Kurt Cobain was murde... I mean, committed suicide.
I read the post.
like I said you lost me at Kurt......
Rock was around before and it will be around after Kurt. I for one do not think he re invented Rock . They were a good band, and rock continues on.

I am not getting into any speculation about his death.
You on the other hand don't mind doing so in a thread that has nothing to do with it .

Please start another thread to discuss that if you wish !

ford

Modz
Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
There’s some great stuff on their last two discs. Just have to let it get the hooks in you.

Yeah, I've been able to find several really good songs on them.

mikebat

In the end is the way it was "forced" on all itunes users, but that is the only way it was going to work (if it worked at all)... It's like when you get a box from Amazon and they have those free promos for wine.com or whatever. It's probably 1 in 100,000 actually signup up for the wine, but if they included a free bottle of wine in the box, how many people would not drink it?
You can force we to drink wine any day. If not...I can poor it down the drain, no harm in any way.

Trending Topics