• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Just watched a U2 concert....

mikebat

Like I told the other guy... I don't care what they, or any other band does or doesn't do. Rock died around the time Kurt Cobain was murde... I mean, committed suicide.
:)

ok, that is one way to see it.
We won’t agree on much, but I’d share a beer with you and shoot the spit

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
it's interesting about the extra help U2 get with sequencers & musos under the floor

was thinking about led zep …. does anyone remember them ?

they played all their songs live with just the 4 of 'em & somehow managed :|
Yea, I hear you... but its not really the same thing as the later version of U2. When U2 plays some of the old songs (out of control, new years day, electric co, etc), its just the 4 guys playing all the parts. If you haven't checked them out live recently, they are doing a lot more than just standing on stage and playing their instruments. With all the video and staging it requires some additional tracks\player\gear.

Gig Young

2 Ply Crew
Platinum Supporting Member
If you are a Rig Rundown fan... This is a pretty good one. Not sure if he's got a second guitar player but he does have a great Tech doing a lot of his dirty work.

That was super super super incredible, oh my gosh!

I don't even use any pedals, I feel beyond naked hahaha!

paulvcarter

I was at stage front in 1985 Brixton Academy Theatre the week Pride went to number 1........

I never felt the need to see them again after that..... they were simply amazing.

Waterboys were the support....another amazing band.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
That was super super super incredible, oh my gosh!

I don't even use any pedals, I feel beyond naked hahaha!

The U2 Rig Rundown is really fascinating. But to get another perspective, you should watch the AC/DC Rig Rundown. These guys are on the other end of the gear spectrum.

shane8

Yea, I hear you... but its not really the same thing as the later version of U2. When U2 plays some of the old songs (out of control, new years day, electric co, etc), its just the 4 guys playing all the parts. If you haven't checked them out live recently, they are doing a lot more than just standing on stage and playing their instruments. With all the video and staging it requires some additional tracks\player\gear.
i'm thinking should they? just because they can?

zep managed arrangements where the songs were recognizable without extras

the edge's obsession with reproducing the record live is ott imo

would the concert experience be worse if they pared it down?

@ zep's height page took 5 guitars on the road :|

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member

No, they dont need all the guitars\video\etc... but Zeppelin is not really a good comparison. They haven't put out an album since 1979 amd gone on a big tour since the 80s. U2 has been putting out new material and touring for a lot longer... just look at all the Zoo TV tour dates. U2 isn't just a greatest hits jukebox, and they are using all the gear to try to appeal to new fans. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but you cant fault them for trying something new.

EpicEsquire

Great thread! (I’m a massive U2 fan — not just of the Edge, the entire band. But especially Edge.)

Listened to ‘The Unforgettable Fire” on a recent road trip, and “Achtung Baby” is a perennial favorite. Was musing how Brian Eno, Flood and Daniel Lanois added all those fantastic sonic textures during the making of U2’s studio recordings ... and how Edge, along with Dallas Shoo, works to fill out the soundscape while performing live.

If you listen to Ultraviolet (Light My Way) from Achtung Baby, the vocal effects on Bono during the chorus out of the song are amazing

EpicEsquire

Because the church elders have theologised and concluded that God doesn't have a problem with The Edge. In fact, God likes a bit of U2 through his earbuds when he is smiting. And the Angels are still trying to nail the Streets intro on their harps.

Are they having trouble with the time signature change?

EpicEsquire

Evidence?

From Wikipedia referencing the Bill Flanagan book "U2 At the End of the World" (writer when he accompanied U2 on the ZooTV tour)

During Zoo TV, almost all of the numbers from Achtung Baby (and the rest of the set list) were augmented by sequencers to fill out the sound; on "Ultraviolet", under-the-stage keyboard tech Des Broadberry playing a sampled guitar figure in the background during Edge's solo parts.[32]

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
here’s the show that was broadcast. it was the final show of the tour in Berlin.

I know the people who make U2’s show, worked with them in the past. Top notch team.
U2’s problem, if they have one, is that they have been self contained and doing a very similar show for years now. They exist in their own bubble and aren’t really in touch with the rest of the music world.
This makes each tour very similar.
Strip away the sets, video walls, lights, etc...and each tour features the same moments/highlights as the previous one. Bono will say the same thing, ad lib in the same place, etc...as he did on prev tours.
I first saw them in person in ‘83 and have been a fan since so alot of their show is familiar to me know matter what tour it is because I’’ve seen it before.

As for the tech side...it’s well documented that they have a touring musician below the stage who plays guitars and keys parts. The whole show is on a click with cues in their IEMs. Pre-recorded tracks are part of it as well.
Search YouTube for “U2 IEM” to hear what they hear.
Here’s a fan shot vid from Tokyo this past Dec. that was synched with a recording of Bono’s IEM feed. (The Tokyo Saitama Arena show was widely bootlegged with EDGE and Bono IEM feeds available.)

You can clearly hear the prerecorded voice saying “One” on the first beat of each measure to keep Bono on track. That’s the minimum info their “cue” track usually has.

They leave nothing to chance because there’s a lot of money invested in making the best concert possible for the audience.

They are a great band/performers who got a lot farther and lasted longer than their peers.
40 years into a nonstop career w/ the original band members is a a significant accomplishment.

Last edited:

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

dude. Apples and Oranges.
LZ live in the 70’s was a different time, different place, different production, etc...
You really don’t know much about the live prod biz or have noticed how much it’s changed.

Also, you know that Jimmy Page doesn’t tour with 5 guitars anymore and hasn’t since like ‘72?
You also know that very little of what you think in “live” on all their live recordings is actually “live”?
Page is famous for taking the live tapes and replaying, remixing, etc...all of his parts so they are perfect.
TSRTS through the reunion show are not truly “live”.
He doesn’t use vintage anything in the studio and edits everything.
Page even used drum samples on Jason Bohnam’s kit to fatten up the sound and pitch corrected Plant’s vocals on the live album/dvd/bluray.

Don’t take my word for it, read it from the source...
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/inside-track-mixing-led-zeppelin-reunion

“Hughes and Williams had taken no half measures in recording Led Zeppelin. The drums alone were recorded on 21 tracks, with added effects, submix and control tracks taking up another 15 tracks in the final session. There was a DI bass plus two amped tracks: with the bass pedals and various effects, there were a total of 21 bass-related tracks in the final mix. Likewise, the three original guitar tracks (two stereo and one mono) also spawned 21 tracks at the mix, while two stereo keyboard tracks grew to 16 tracks, and there were two Theremin tracks, five Plant vocal tracks and one Jason Bonham vocal track. Finally, four stereo audience tracks expanded to a total of 31. This meant that a session containing about 50 tracks of recorded music ended up at well over 130 tracks with effects, submixes and control tracks.”

Moulder was not given a specific brief for his mix, which meant that he had remarkably free rein, as long as his work pleased Jimmy Page. "I didn't really have a vision for how I wanted to approach the sound,” explains Moulder, "other than that I tried to make it sound like I imagined it did on the night. Unfortunately, I had not been there, but we also had the FOH board mix, and both mixes gave a pretty good impression. During an initial conversation, the band members told me that they'd had a discussion before the show during which they had decided not to approach things like they had in the '70s, ie. not do the rambling versions of the songs with long solos, but to stick more faithfully to the recordings. You could say that this was a more modern approach. I think I was trying to do the same thing, which was to recreate the feeling of the records that we all know, and make it sound up-to-date in the 21st Century.

"I'd already had a hint of, certainly, John Paul Jones liking to be up-to-date when I worked with Them Crooked Vultures. [Guitarist/singer] Josh Homme had all these ideas about John Paul playing through vintage gear, but when the latter turned up, he had state-of-the-art basses and bass amplifiers with him. Josh asked him whether he didn't want to play through the vintage amplifiers that he had brought, and John said, 'No, I don't! Bass amplifiers in those days were rubbish, and they're much better today, so I'll use these!' John Paul keeps up with everything, and he's a great programmer, and he comes in with a very modern approach. Robert is also very current, and although Jimmy had some vintage gear, the way he puts his sounds together also was not particularly retro.”

So what you think is genuine, live, LZ is a fiction created by Page.
You only hear what he wants you to hear.
Listen to an LZ soundboard vs the official live releases.
Very different tones, playing, etc...
No different than what U2 does.
It’s all about showbiz.

Last edited:

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
Got it. I think what always feels like chicanery is having a human with guitar hidden out of sight and playing along. This example feels within bounds.

From Wikipedia referencing the Bill Flanagan book "U2 At the End of the World" (writer when he accompanied U2 on the ZooTV tour)

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
... and it was amazing! I'm a bit baffled though that even my wife commented how can the guitarist do all those sounds.. i was like thinking, that is impossible for the Edge to do all those sounds in "With or Without You" or "In The Name of Love (Pride)"

So I assume they're all using some pre recorded licks and samplers right?? Not really a problem with me but I feel that it just kinda takes away the 'rawness' of a live performance.

Edge switches guitars every freakin song!!! Lol!! He still hasn't found what he us looking for I guess :cool:
I've seen U2 live I think 7 times now. None of the guitar sounds are pre-recorded or sampled licks. They do use some pad/keyboard tracks, but that's it. Listen to any of their released live recordings. They sound much emptier than the studio versions precisely because Edge had a bunch of guitar overdubs in the studio, but it only a one-man show when playing live. Bono rarely plays guitar live.

here’s the show that was broadcast. it was the final show of the tour in Berlin.

Seen it yesterday. Didn't have big expectations - they're past their prime, last albums weren't too good, I'm too old and cynical to stand their schtick, Edge is no Jimi and Bono is no Thom Yorke, etc. etc.
Anyway, it is amazing.
Want to see them live again and the Edge is one of the all times great:)

Trending Topics