1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Just when you think it can't get any more pathetic...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fierce_carrot, May 19, 2011.

1. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...on-USA-Anniversary-Flood-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

I ran into this and had to shake my head in disgust. For Gibson to make money off the suffering of so many people, especially musicians, some of whom lost all of their equipment is just beyond common decency.

I've been the victim of two separate floods and unless you have been there, you can't imagine what something like this does to you both financially and spiritually. I read the ad and NOWHERE did I see that any money from the sales of these guitars would be donated to any charities.

What's next? A japanese manufacturer offering a Tsunami/Reactor Meltdown guitar? Nah...they have too much class for something like that.

Gibson USA Anniversary Flood Les Paul Studio
    The Nashville flood of May 2010 devastated not only the city in general but the music community in particular—and Gibson lies right at the heart of that community. Countless guitars, both vintage and new, were subsumed by waters that seemed would never stop rising, and for many of their players it was hard to see how this community would ever recover. But however hard the times, and even in our darkest hours, the music lives on. To commemorate the one-year anniversary of the flood, Gibson USA presents the Anniversary Flood Les Paul Studio, a special-issue model that represents the enduring ability of the human spirit to salvage the music from the raging waters. Dressed in the minimalist Studio style, these guitars nevertheless offer a stunning new look in two commemorative high-gloss nitrocellulose finishes: Marbelized Blue Swirl Burst, and Marbelized Green Swirl.

2. shg

shg Senior Member

yeah, that's pretty tasteless.

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I wonder what the people who actually went through the flood think?

4. randelli

randelli Member

I wonder if they are salvaged parts from the guitars in production when the flood hit?

5. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

Gibson was directly affected by the flood. This model is meant to commemorate how the community of nashville banded together to help overcome the problems it caused. They are celebrating the resilience of a community that they are a very big part of.

It's not like they are just trying to profit of other people's suffering, and honestly how any one could see it like that is beyond me.

6. sears

sears Member

Ask Gibson

7. Colors

Colors Member

So buy an Edwards instead. Just as good as a Gibson but half the price.

8. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I guess some people think you're just supposed to mope around in a comatose state playing the victim the rest of your life...

as part of the community that suffered Gibson's new model commemorates it doesn't denigrate.

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Since you asked. When I read it I was fully expecting there to be a philanthropic angle to it. It's the way it's presented that makes it seem like there is a cause at the heart of it. If Gibson were smart they should've given the profits from the sale to people in the community that were badly effected and still trying to recover. I think ultimately that would be better for business.

10. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

It doesn't denigrate but it is crass...like all the 9/11 commemorative coins and t-shirts. Interesting commenst beneath the add. I own and love a few Gibsons but they are a mixed bag in terms of quality. Aside from this, the company seems pretty full of itself--and other things--sometimes.

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Agreed. Gibson suffered through the flood alongside everyone else, and lost much.

I lived through the Mt. St. Helens eruption...witnessed it with my own eyes. Many peoples lives were effected. For years you could not travel through WA without seeing knick-knacks and souvenirs made of ash for sale at every rest stop and trinket shop. I owned a St. Helens t-shirt.

So what.

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

13. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I agree this instrument is in very poor taste. Can you imagine what would happen if they brought out a commemorative "Auschwitz" guitar?

14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Is this an example of Godwin's law in practice? Do Shoah references count, or just Hitler and the Nazis proper?

15. randelli

randelli Member

Seriously, does anyone know if they were able to salvage any of the guitars that were damaged by the flood? I think it would be interesting to know if your particular guitar was a neck that was above water glued to a body that was up on a shelf - survivors put together to form an instrument.

I would be terrible if Gibson lost all of their inventory in the flood.

16. Miles

Miles Member

:omg

Gibson's CEO is shaking in his custom baby seal leather boots.

In all honesty, I think both the fender and gibson example posted here are in poor taste. I can see both sides of the story. I know how hard it was on my family just this year in Memphis and how they suffered after living there only a year in a new home. Then again, what do we expect in such a capitalist economy?

17. cdntac

cdntac Member

Equating a flood to a Nazi death camp. Really??

I look at this guitar as a symbol of rebuilding. Gibson had their plant shut down for how many months? Two or three wasn't it? They rebuilt and now are commemorating the achievement of themselves and the town itself.

And no, I don't plan on buying one....

18. JK47

JK47 Member

Isn't this like the fifth thread we've had on these?

19. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

Will the Epi versions be a special rotted plywood run?

20. V-Type

V-Type Member

Gibson seems too churn out a 70% wtf ratio on their new releases.
    The ridiculouly priced Firebird X,The Insane Lawn Dart reverse V and their Wholly Explorer are just the tip of the iceberg that leads me too believe the upper managment is way overpaid and need regular drug testing as well as psychiatric screening.
    Not too mention why a R7 -R9 costs $5000 plus when essentially they are just new copies.
    But the sheep will buy so the $$$$ will continue too flow.
    Btw I do love many Gibsons just detest their Have and Have Not Lifestyle pricing fyi.
    Ymmv.