Just when you were going to sell a pedal, you hear what it REALLY can do

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 14, 2009.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Some pedals, it seems like I just didn't "get".
    This has happened a few times. I bought a Zvex Seek Trem a long time ago, used it a few times at home, never much, tweaked a lot of the settings, and...just didn't get it, would say didn't "bond" with it.

Took it out last night, played with it, thought it was kinda fun but still, nothing I could see me using much really...was going through my seldom used pedals deciding on selling some of them. Dug out the old box, and kerchief, and "Manual" and got it ready to put up for sale.

Happened to be on Youtube, looking for clips of another pedal I saw for sale, to hear it, and just for a lark looked for clips of the Seek trem...

Found the original one I even had heard a few years ago, and damn...realized I was trying to get it to do too much, too many knobs, the wrong ones, I heard what it could do in the hands of another...more imaginitive person, and realized right away this thing has LOTS of uses, you just have to stop thinking "tremolo" with it...can get an echo (one or two spaced apart ON positions) copter, etc.

This is why I tend NOT to sell pedals, when you are in the mood to get something new, and ready to explore, and then go to youtube or google for sound clips, you often can find out the pedal you thought not of use could be perfect for you, if you just learn how to use it right...

This happen to any of you too with other pedals?

2. paddyrock

paddyrock Member

nope. but i have bought many pedals from people that just didn't know how to use them properly.

i love their face when they see me using what they couldn't get good tones from.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Well...I hate you already :hide

Heh...I've had that happen too, from the other side. A certain well crafted delay, I spent a while on, just didn't "bond" (again) sold it to a guy or rather traded, and it was actually inspiring as hell to see him go to work on it...he never looked in the manual (maybe had read it online though) and asked a couple of fundamental questions about this particular unit, then it was like watching an old 40's film safecracker go to work...gently tweaking this, listening to what it did, then that, back and forth, adjusting, listening, adjust some up then down again, etc. Within 5 or 10 minutes, he had gone through a number of sounds that made me want to keep the thing (it was up in the air whether I would trade, no deal had been made) but in the end I felt like he had earned it...

But I have learned from that, and approach pedals better now. One problem I have is I am an electronics tech, and so I know what (often) is going on in the pedals, I can visualize the waveform, and what affects what, but I am in my technical head....before I knew this stuff it was all just a black box, and I think it was easier to be creative with NOT knowing the innards so much. Or maybe that is just an excuse, I don't know. I was also younger before, may have also had something to do with it, but in the case of this seek-trem, in retrospect it was both the technical mindset, AND that I was hung up on tremelo, missing the things it could do by trying to set it all-at-once for doing MORE...

I still hate you though :rotflmao

4. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Line 6 PODxt for me. Couldn't jive with it yet I hear some good clips. And I'm used to complexed multis.

5. paddyrock

paddyrock Member

haha. the friend of mine i'm playing in a band with has to look at my board every practice and see two specifically i bought off him.

i'm sure he hates me more.

6. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

7. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Happened to me. I bought a Fuchs Plus Drive, and I thought it never jived with my amp (Dr. Z Maz 38). I then set the amp for a blackface style tone, and the pedal came alive. What a great low gainer.

Of course, by then, I had already received payment for it so off it went. Needless to say, the guy who bought it e-mailed me saying it smoked through his rig.

And to top it off, with the Canadian dollar being where it is, it`s now more expensive for me to get a replacement.

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ive learned that your ear will hear different things from day to day and you must never judge a pedal completely within the first couple hours. After about a week you should know it well enough to have learned its sweet spots and if it is what you need. You should keep a pedal because its "sweet spot" is better than any other similar type pedals... even though 3 or 4 pedals could have a couple common points where they might overlap. Every pedal I have has this sweet spot that sets it apart form the rest and thats what I like. I may adjust my OD's once in a while for different reasons, but in the end I will again run it through its voice from top to bottom and almost always end up on that "spot".

9. Alfer

Alfer Member

Haha, I know what you mean.

I was recently going to sell a pedal that sat in its original box on my shelf for a full year after I bought it and played with it twice. I was sold on getting rid of it to offset the price of another pedal, but wanted to plug it in and make sure all was functional first. Now it's something I can't keep off my board more than a few days at a time.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Out of curiousity, which pedal is it?

Part of what I was pointing out for all too, Youtube and other placs with clips are a very useful tool for getting ideas for setting some pedals, especially more complex or out-of-the-ordinary type pedals. Yeah, you have to wade through some clips with terrible sound, bad playing, wanking, and even folks that make the pedal sound worse than you have been using yours, but you can find a gem where they get a lot more out of one than you have, and you can see and hear some surprisingly good sounds and how they set it!

11. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

This appens to me a lot when I do youtube demos for something i havn't used for years when I want to sell them.
    The most recent example was an ancient viscount half rack reverb I ended up keeping.
    I did a demo of all the presets and realised that I had never even turned the select knob far enough enjoj the delights of it.
    had had it for 10 years.....

Here's the demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS2glKyX2ok

Glad I kept it.