Just 'won' a Subdecay Blackstar distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pott, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

WOOOT!! I'm stoked. These go for A LOT in the UK and I managed to get a used one, for the actual price of a used one :p Here they go for more than new in the US <_<
    It was a lot cheaper than I expected so I can treat myself :)

I'm happy. Paying tomorrow and then full review as soon as it gets here!

So... tell me what you know of these anyway? Or else this thread is a bit pointless :D

And since I'm watching the Blues Brothers now: :BluesBros

Thanks!

2. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

3. iggs

iggs Member

Yup ... kicks booty!

4. Burgs

Burgs Member

It's an unsung rock monster. You'll be so glad you did. Please let us know what you think of it when you've gotten to know each other. :)

5. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten as much hype on TGP...Subdecay has some really great products.

6. Pott

Pott Member

Should get it in two or three days :D YAY! Getting sent tomorrow hopefully. I honestly can't believe my luck! Can't wait. Hopefully it'll free up a lot of space on my board too, being such a small pedal.

7. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Excellent pedal. Ive tried over and over to find a reason to sell it to make more space on my board for another pedal but it continues to take residence there.

8. Pott

Pott Member

Got it today, but I can't try it as my flatmate's daughter is napping... soon though... soon..

9. Pott

Pott Member

Ok redid the board... I now have Marshall Compressor, MXR 6 band EQ, modded SD1 through TB loop, Blackstar, Bad Monkey, Big Muff, Carl Martin Surf Trem, Korg Pitchblack, amp.

The pedal sounds quite fuzzy. I was expecting something more modern hehe... but then again I'm playing through a Laney VC15 110... which so far has proven to be a pretty bad platform for pedals in general.
    That pedal's a lot of fun!

Any tips and settings please? Been playing with the controls a lot already.

10. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Yes the pedal does get quite fuzzy. Thats the charm of the pedal though.
    Not for everybody. I like using it with both drive knobs at 3 oclock,
    the tone know just about all the way counterclockwise,, pedal can get bright, and volume to suit. I couldnt use this as my one and only drive pedal but if your looking for a touch of fuzz in your distortion then it doesnt get any better.

11. Pott

Pott Member

Cool thanks! And no I wasn't hahaha I think I'll put the Liquid Metal back on the board and use the blackstar for funnier sounds. I LOVE that thing though! Sounds like nothing I ever heard. Brilliant.

12. Pott

Pott Member

Ok so... verdict:

Reacts very well to volume pot
    TONS of gain
    One of the drive controls seems to add slightly more bass/bass distortion, the other is more like a typical gain control. Useful to control mush if needed.
    The pedal has fuzzy bass. I wouldn't use it for modern metal, but it may not, as GJ said, interact as well with my amp as it should. Who knows. Will try it on my big Laney as soon as I get to it again...
    It really has TONS of gain...
    Tone control is very good! One of those 'everything on there is useable', as opposed to say, the DS1 tone which goes from very muddy to ear bursting bright. This pedal CAN get quite bright though, sure.

It's a fun sound and a fun toy! It's not replacing my metal distortion pedals, but it's a lot of fun for... er.. other things. No clue how to properly use it yet hehe... maybe for ZZ Top style fuzz/distortion very fat tones/leads.

13. Pott

Pott Member

Mhmm ok... honeymoon's over. It simply doesn't work that well with my amp. It's a fun pedal, great sounds, but not for me. I don't have uses for a hybrid fuzz/distortion really. The soundclips on the site made it sound more modern and metal. I'm getting my bigger Laney back on Sunday, so I hope it'll sound ok with that one, or else it goes.

For the other users... what do you think it sounds best with? My current amp is a Laney VC15 110 combo.