JVM210H or JVM205H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shoestring, Apr 9, 2008.

1. shoestring

shoestring Supporting Member

Wich one should I get? I played the 2 chennel 100watt & it was great. There are no 50watt models around to try out so I can't compare them:puh.
    I have no need for 100watts (but does anybody) the 50 is a little less money but has to be ordered. Is there any tone difference to speak of between the two. I play mostly at lower volumes so dunno if it matters but?? I never have the master loud enough to get the tubes on a 50watt to break up much anyway. Has anybody played both?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The JVM has so much preamp gain that the power section doesn't really come into play as much as the "older" Marshalls that we all love. These modern Marshalls including the JVMs can essentially get their tone at very low volumes regardless of the power section.

I would probably go with the 100-watter just to get big iron sound. 100-watters tend to have more girth and sound bigger. Also, its nice having the headroom for cleans.

With that said, I remember owning both the DSL50 and DSL100 back in the day and really dug the "sweetness" of the 50-watt power section. But ultimately, I dug the bigger sounding 100 for live and recording.

3. shoestring

I have a dsl50 now:). I also have a new quickrod , but it has to be turned up a bit to really sound good imo. The dsl50 is as good or better at low volume imo, but once the QR get turned up just a bit it sounds awesome. I am not sure I notice much difference when in half power mode on the QR. 3 dBs is about as loud as a good fart. Not sure if I hear much change but I have only had it a short while. The QR has a huge bottom end so that is not an issue. That is one thing that concerned me about the jvm, the 210 I played seemed to not have much low end, I wonder if the 205 has much less.

4. digital jams

digital jams Member

Dime the clean channel orange and report back about power section :dude

5. shoestring

witch one do you have?

6. haslar

haslar Member

I own a JVM205H, and use a couple of plexi panels for live purposes.

Even though the 205H sounds good at low(ish) volumes, as all tube amps it does sound better when the power tubes get cooking.

Live, the Master is on 7, and that's the right volume I need - plexi panels mandatory, though.
    I don't see any need for the 100W version. Sniper-V might be right about the big iron, though.

7. digital jams

digital jams Member

I have the 410 but the power sections are the same or so I am told. My response was more towards the person I quoted though in regards to his all preamp gain.

8. shoestring