JVM410HJS vs. Rockerverb 50/100 vs ENGL Blackmore

Slammin Mofo

I'm looking for a new rock amp that I plan to use with my 2x12 loaded with one G12M and a vintage 30 and a Two Notes Torpedo Studio (when it comes out).

The styles I want to cover are mostly Blues, Classic Rock, Heavy & Hair Metal.

I haven't got a chance to play any of them, as I need to drive for a couple of hours to test and compare them accurately at one spot, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say and what you would choose in that situation...

And one important thing: Price is not an issue for me, when it comes to those 3 amps, as I can have them for more or less (+/- 400$) the same money. I'm more interested in the tonal capabilities.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Don't know the others but I've sat an played the Rockverb 100 two or three times now though a Marshall 1936 2x12. I was looking for a Les Paul and played an Axcess and a Custom Shop R0 though it. I was supprised at how good it sounded even at low volume. If it wasn't 2300, it would be on my short list. ;)

shood

I haven't played these, but I really weant to take the Blackmore for a spin after hearing Vivan Campbell's tone in the Last in Line live shows -- a great hard rock sound IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXnuVw-OgM

Conversely, from a feature perspective I was really excited when the JVM410JS was set for release, but I lost interest based on the clips I heard. I'd still like to try one out.

The Rockerverb has sounded good in the clips I've heard, it's another amp I'm interested in trying.

donnievaz

The JVM covers all of that with ease. It takes a little more tweaking than your average Marshall amp to get there but it's more than capable.

All of these are fantastic amps.

However, I'd argue that a Splawn could cover the same ground just as well for a fraction of the price. I've seen Quickrods on the market for under $1000.

stubbyJ

Used Marshall JVM is one hell of a rig.

I use one in my cover band and could not be happier. I will say that the Orange sound is killer, but I can get close with the JVM.

The midi switching with my Boss-gt100 and jvm allows me to cover any style of music within reason.

Bentayuk

All of these are fantastic amps.

However, I'd argue that a Splawn could cover the same ground just as well for a fraction of the price. I've seen Quickrods on the market for under $1000.
+1 for a QuickRod! It's modded Marshall all day long, and so much sweeter than any of the others mentioned.

Tripower455

Used Marshall JVM is one hell of a rig.

I use one in my cover band and could not be happier. I will say that the Orange sound is killer, but I can get close with the JVM.

The midi switching with my Boss-gt100 and jvm allows me to cover any style of music within reason.

I agree.... I fell into a JVM410C about 5 years ago. It was part of a trade, and I planned on flipping it. I started messing with it and was amazed at the variety of tones that could be had with it, so I started using it with my cover band.

I did end up doing a few mods to mine, but it was more than usable as it was. The ONLY thing I would definitely do is check the bias. Mine was set real cold from the factory, which made it a bit sterile sounding. It warmed up a ton just by cranking the bias a bit.

If you're into modding stuff, the NFB mod also made a huge difference. The power section is real tight on the JVM, to handle "teh brootalz" gain levels the amp is capable of on the OD channels. By adding NFB, you can loosen it up a bit. Huge difference in feel at less than stadium volume.

I also added a choke, and did the "C83" mod. I would do both again, but not before the NFB or readjusting the bias.

I'm probably gonna do the plexi cap and blackface mods too.

I love my JVM combo so much, I just bought a used head version.

Trending Topics