K&K Trinity Western Pickup Shutting Off

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by PhilosoPhrets, Jan 1, 2018.

1. PhilosoPhrets

PhilosoPhrets Supporting Member

Hey all,

Having a little problem with my K&K set up. It occasionally just shuts off. Only way to get signal flowing again is to unplug the 1/4" jack and plug it back in.

Then it works fine for a while, and shuts off again.

It shuts off abruptly, but I don't hear a pop or anything through the amp. It just goes dead.

Tried a fresh battery, but same problem.

I'm thinking it may be a battery connection issue, but I'm open to suggestions on causes/ fixes.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Eddie

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

When is the last time you checked/cleaned tips of the jacks tangs?

3. PhilosoPhrets

About never ago! My plan at this point is to take all the strings off, remove the endpin jack and the battery housing and clean it all up.

Any tips for how to get inside of the endpin jack to reach those tangs?

Thanks!

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Good! Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

PhilosoPhrets likes this.
  5. PhilosoPhrets

I took it all apart and hit the plug and battery terminal connections with contact cleaner. It helped, but it did shut off once since cleaning. That's once in about 20 minutes of playing, where before, it was once every minute or two. Of course, once in twenty minutes makes me nervous. I use this guitar live.

The input jack is a typical stereo endpin jack, so I really couldn't get in there to re-tension the contacts. I'm guessing the one connected to the sleeve which completes the battery circuit is just worn out.

I sent an email to K&K so I'll see what they advise. My guess is that a new endpin jack is in order.

Eddie

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Yeah, that is pretty typical of endpin jacks and barrel jacks (same principle). There needs to be a better option for those kinds of applications.

7. PhilosoPhrets

I replaced the endpin jack, and things got a lot better, but apparently that wasn't the whole problem.

Before replacing it, it was shutting off quite often. After cleaning it, it shut off less often. After replacing the jack, I thought it was fixed, but it has gone silent once or twice this week.

There is either a bad contact in there somewhere, OR, it has to do with static electricity building up (winter here and very dry in Ohio) and tripping something in my signal chain.

Kind of done messing with it at this point, so I'm just going to keep an ear on it for a while.

Eddie

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Do you have the same problem when you remove the chain and just plug directly into your amp/interface/whatever?