K-Line Tele Review

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by b3l5tele, Sep 4, 2006.

1. b3l5tele

b3l5tele Supporting Member

I wanted to find a relic Tele and decided not to go the Fender Custom Shop route because of the high price tag and I figured that with the number of builders out there I should be able to get a high quality Tele for a lot less money. Over the years I have had many real vintage Fender strats and teles. Sold them all for one reason or another. (Kirk Fletcher has a 59 maple board strat and Adam Stark has a 53 black guard, 2 of my old guitars that come to mind that I wish I had not sold.) I have also had several Fender relics starting with a new relic Cunetto strat that was not even known as a cunetto when it first came out. Another great guitar that is out there somewhere. Anyway, the point being, I have had a lot of experience with these types of guitar.
    Enter K-Line. Hmm, easy to get in touch with, just starting out, clear and up front about the construrtion details. The neck and body are from All parts. I specified a rosewood board neck with 9.5 radius and an ash body. I lucked out and got a very light piece of ash with the guitar coming in at just a bit over 7 lbs. Hardware is Gotoh. The pickups are Lollars, a 52 in the bridge and a vintage in the neck. These Lollars are a big surprise to me. They are fantastic. The bridge is fat and clear and the neck is the same. Chris makes Fralin, Duncans, etc available as "upgrades." After hearing these Lollars I would not describe any other pickup as an upgrade to a Lollar, they may be different but these Lollars are as good as any pickups I have heard.
    You buy a relic for the finish, obvivously. Here, the vintage blonde lacquer finish is super thin with a tasteful light to medium relic job. It is expertly done. No blow torch not seen in the natural world type of finish that give relics a bad name are done on any of the K-Line guitars I have seen. There is no finish cracking on my guitar so if you want that you may want to specify it with Chris. The harware is aged such that it matches the aging of the body, very consistent. The only real issue I have is the string retainer and its placement. Chris used a button type and placed it at the G tuner instead of a butterfly retainer placed at the A string. No big deal, I just replaced it. The decal I will but on will cover the hole.
    I spent a lot of time playing the guitar and recording it before a gig I did yesterday. I have found that it is a great sounding tele through my vintage marshall and fender amps, my Mesa Lone Star and Mark III and my Line 6 and Tone Lab gear. Like a good tele, it works with everything. The real test for a guitar is how it works in a band context. At the outdoor gig yesterday I used this for every song. I brought my Fender Custom Shop 69 relic strat along thinking I would go to it if the K-Line did not work out. No need, I did not even think about going to the strat, the K-Line was killer.
    The value, bang to buck ratio, or what ever you want to call it for this guitar is off the charts. It is quite simply an excellent relic Tele. I think because K-Line is a new entry into the relic market and had the parts in stock it only took 3 weeks to get this gutar from when I ordered it. As the word gets out I am sure the delivery time will be greater. I could not be happier with this purchase. I am certainly going to be having Chris build another guitar for me in the near future. Great Job Chris, and thanks!

You can see a pic here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=163831

2. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

Congrats on the new guitar. It looks awesome. I was fortunate enough to borrow a k-line tele from a friend this weekend, and use it on a gig (counrtry/rockabilly/bluegrass) I have a vinetto duece wich I brought as back up. The guitar was killer, and I too dig the Lollars. The one I used was an Oly white Tele, with maple board. The radius was 71/4" wich is a bit short for me normally, but I didn't have a problem. The guitar played and sounded awesome(through a Carl Martin compressor, Hermida zen drive, TC vintage delay, and a Rivera Fandango). I didn't even get the vinetto out of the case. I'm definatly going to have Chris build me a tele and a strat.

Congrats again!

3. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice looking guitar. Enjoy it!

4. WayneM

WayneM Member

Cesar,

Sweet looking Tele...good luck with it and enjoy!

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

Thanks for the review. Have a blast.

6. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

Ok, so I finally broke down and got a K-line tele...here are the specs.

Black w/parchment pickguard.
    91/2" radius maple neck.
    Lollar pickups ( I can't remember what model), I just got the guitar, so I'm a bit numb.
    I plan on doing a more full review, after I use it on a gig this Sat. I will post picks as well. :AOK

7. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

I just talked to Chris...here are some more specs...

alder body
    Lollar 52s
    6240 fret size/ med c neck
    7lbs 14 oz

8. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

9. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

Sorry I posted so amny huge pics, ...I'm a bit excited if you can't tell.

10. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice guitar chickn'! Did you commission Chris to build it or did you get it from the retailer he's been using? Definitely post a review after your gig.

11. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

I lucked out, and he was able to get it to me quick. I think with the black finish, and the different lollars, it was a bit of an experiment. It might have even been built with him self in mind. None the less, I lucked out!

12. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

I did the gig Sat and the guitar was Great! It's easily the best tele style guitar I have ever had. The Lollar 52s are a much better match for what I do than the specials. True tele tone and great vintage vibe. I hade more than one person come up after the show to check the guitar out.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I read somewhere else that the K-Line Telecasters are only $1150. Pretty cool deal. If they are using All-Parts necks though, does that mean they can't make 'em with, say a 12 inch radius and 6100 frets?

14. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

So... it sounds like one can get different frets and/or radius (such as the 12' radius/6100 frets I mentioned earlier) at a nominal extra charge. Pretty cool

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Just FYI, Allparts necks are available in varying radii, depending on the model.

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=626&cat_name=Guitar%20Necks

Sounds like K-Line can-do other radii...his guitars seem like a good bargain!
    Greg

17. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I recently ordered a strat and was able to spec everything I wanted for the neck for a very reasonable upcharge. I went with a maple/rosewood, chunky C, med jumbo frets, 9.5" radius.
    Can't wait to get my hands on this guitar!

18. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

CB-
    Neck is shipping this week. Body is sprayed. Good choice with the blondes! Won't be long now. I will keep you posted.