K.o.T. and OCD- redundant drives ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electricfactory, May 2, 2008.

1. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Those of you who have both the K.o.T. and an OCD- why do you ? Not suggesting they sound the same but perhaps fill the same void ?

Or did you find that having the K.o.T. makes the OCD redundant or unnecessary ?

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

not even close to each other. not at all. . . for me.

i don't like the ocd myself. i prefer a slew of other med-high gain pedals for that.

the kot doesn't really do that . . . at all . . . for me. it's for no-to low to med gain. . .

3. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

The KOT doesn't have much drive to it. It's really a clean boost and mild overdrive. The OCD has much more gain available, up to the point where it's a distortion pedal. You can use it as a clean boost/mild OD too, but it sounds significantly different than the KOT.

4. electricfactory

electricfactory Supporting Member

Got it, good to know because I have both and was considering selling the OCD- until I read your posts.

ef

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

well since you have both do you feel they're redundant?

6. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

I was interested in your brash statement...and then I listened to your music. Really BAD tone, so you're using an OCD it sounds like?

Paul

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

no, they don't.

8. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

For my tastes, the KOT is a good pedal. Nice, medium amount of boost. I had the first version of the OCD and didn't care for it at all. To me, it seemed very harsh no matter what amp/guitar combination I tried. Very different pedals.

9. Paul Parrish

No relation, you just come of too smug and opinionated for a guy with such poor tone, that's all.

Paul

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll work on it.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Sorry to hijack, but:

I understood that the KOT and the KLON were similar in applications. In that, both do a great thickening as a clean boost and both only provide med drive. What are the differences?

12. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

There was an AWESOME thread where a few people who owned both gave very good descriptions of the differences. Look a few more pages down as it was not that long ago, or try a search. Good luck!

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

14. Paul Parrish

and you've got a good sense of humor, can't be all that bad I guess

Paul

15. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

yeah, life's too short. you're right about the guitar tone on those tracks though, but under the circumstances--direct into the deck, monitoring with cans--it actually sounds better than it ought to.

I've posted similar thoughts before, but I really wanted to like and keep the Fulltone boxes I've owned over the years, but without exception, they just didn't work for me, and that's with various guitars and amps. The OCD actually sounded decent as a boost, but as soon as the 'hair' started to engage, it just sounded horrible to my ears.

In any event, the KOT was a great box, but I didn't keep it due to the subtle nature of what it does best, which is to coax an already-cooking amp over the top. I don't think it sounds bad at lower volumes, just not quite enough gain for my needs.

16. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I have both...They're completely different!

17. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

Curios about the KOT:

Does it cut bass like a TS? ... or does it leave the bass "intact"?

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It doesn't cut bass, if it does it's so slight that I don't notice the difference. The KOT is probably the best low gain od ever made, especially when using Fender amps. For Marshall style amps the Tim/Timmy are really nice. Both these pedal do not fundementally change you tone unlike so many others.

BTW, every OCD I ever used added a ton of bass. I also found the OCD's to not work well with other stuff...I wish I knew why.

19. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

the OCD is the only od pedal thats remained on my board for the longest time. i find it works brilliant with the Landy LDO and Honey Bee. i think the OCD's an amazing pedal. takes some time to tweak, but once ya get there youre basically set. it works better as a high gain pedal imo, not much as an amp boost. i use the LDO for that. with tht, i would love to try the K.O.T, haven't had the pleasure. the ocd keeps its bass better than any od pedal ive tried, and ive tried a looooad.
    well my 2cents worth

20. paulscape

paulscape Member

I just bought the v3 OCD and I can't fault it for my needs. Its relatively transparent, very well built and has ample gain on tap.