Kaden Brown Creeper Vs CMATMODS Brownie

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the Kaden Brown Creeper and Cmatmods Brownie? I know that they both are licensed and contain BSIAB II. Is one more articulate then the other? is there any difference in sound? I am looking for a pedal for JCM800 sound to use mostly with chords and I want something that will clealy define each note so they are not muddy. I am using a Strat Plus with Dimarzio Pup into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. These are basically the 2 contenders although I may consider the Jetter Gain Stage Black ( a bit expensive).

Keep on Rocking Me Baby:RoCkIn

2. gearboy

gearboy Member

I've never played the Brownie, but I have a Creeper for sale right now. It really is one of the best 'modded Marshall' pedals I have played. Very articulate and well built. I'm selling it because I'm using my amp's distortion these days.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I believe the Creeper comes stock with all medium gain transistors (2n5457) while the Brownie is built exactly to the original spec using 3 medium gain and 2 hi gain (J201). So the Creeper should have slightly less gain and be a bit more dynamic.

That said, I ordered my brownie with all 2n5457 trannies and CMATMOD graciously socketed them all so I could swap them out for different ones. I found that even with all med gainers the Brownie was too compressed for anything but searing leads. In this respect it was almost like a big muff (in terms of sustain - the voicing and texture are marshall all the way) but much more articulate.

So I swapped in 2 radio shark MPF102's (lower gain) and the pedal opened up considerably. The only downside is that it has less sustain and doesn't feedback on command like it did before but I find the pedal much more versatile in its current configuration.

4. ahltarocka

So for what I am looking for and the fact that I am not oriented towards doing my own modding. Do you suggest that I get the Creeper or order the Brownie with certain specifications for chord work.

Thanks for your input!!

5. fr8_trane

The Brownie is cheaper than the creeper and CMATMods was great to work with in terms of building me a slightly modded pedal.

I would contact CMATMODS and see if he would build you a pedal with 2 mpf102's (Q1 and Q2) and 3 2n5457's. If he sockets them you can swap the trannies for whatever you like without having to solder. You might even ask him to include 2 extra 2n5457's for an extra buck or 2 so you can see for yourself.

I wrapped up the 2 original transistors and keep them inside my brownie just in case I want to experiment with higher gain again.

6. ahltarocka

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. I will contact Chad.

7. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I tried the Brown Creeper and sent it back. It was thin, fake sounding distortion. Just awful.

8. rewog

rewog Member

You guys know that if you change Q5, you have to re-bias it don't you ?

9. fr8_trane

Yes. But I didn't mess with Q5. I only replaced Q1 and Q2 with MPF102's.