Kahler vs. Floyd Rose (with poll)

Kahler or Floyd

• FR

• Kahler

• Licensed FR from (fill in the blank in your response)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I found more than a few threads concerning this, but none with a poll.

BTW, I've tried those Zero Resistance bridges on Ibáñez & love them, but I'm afraid it would be difficult to find parts for them.

I have never even seen a Kahler on a guitar, AFAIK, but I understand some models don't require routing, flush mount.

That would obviously have a pretty big advantage if you were converting a fixed bridge to floating.

I also understand the Kahler allows for adjustments to string spacing, which the FR does not.
You even need to shim if you want to change the individual height of the strings on a FR, but I'm not sure about the Kahler.
I do like the FR whammy/vibrato arms/bars.

The Kahler arms look just like the ones on Fender's vintage-style six-point bridges.

Last edited:

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
No comparison for me. Had a flat mount Kahler way back in the 80's and hated it (horrible bridge, not as good as staying in tune as any Floyd I've had, didn't have as much sustain and sounded thin to my ears). I still have a few 80's Floyds, one currently on a Strat and it still functions great. From all I've read though the current Gotoh version is the one to get.

Hamer95USA

I have Schaller Floyd Rose licensed bridges on my 1990 Hamer Chapparal Elite 90 and 1994 Diablo II guitars, an Original Floyd Rose on my 1998 Fender Floyd Rose Classic Strat and a Kahler Spyder tremolo on my 1987 Fender Japan Strat. I also owned a Kahler Steeler Floyd Rose licensed bridge which I thought was a better designed & better sounding bridge than the OFR bridge. I like the Gotoh Floyd Rose licensed bridges as well.

Guitar George

NorCal_Val

Loved the OG Floyds on my old parts-o-caster.
Stayed in tune, did the "Floyd flutter"(Brad Gillis trick), I could
pull it up in pitch until the high E was ready to break, and it
would return to pitch with no problem.
Stainless steel, so no rust problems ever.

B Money

Kahler still requires a shallow top route, just not through the body. Having owned both, my opinion is that the Floyd is WAAAY better. The Kahler feels too springy to me.

LReese

I'd rather have a Floyd, but the Kahler works OK in the right application. Just OK, not like its stellar.

The springyness can be tuned out via springs or shortening the bar.

gdomeier

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a kahler pro on my carvin ultra v (with the heavy spring option) since 1987 and I've had several floyd guitars through the years. I prefer the sound of the floyd when diving, as they always seem more crisp. I like the ease of string changing on my kahler since I don't have to clip the ball end and the locking nut is the flip up type. Down side of the kahler is lack of sustain when diving, while the down side of the floyd is changing strings and tuning is more of a pita.

monty

Floyd for me. Lots of parts out there if you need them and my experience with kahler was not good even though it was probably user error (I installed one in the 80s,lol)

handtrix

For new; I'm not sure that Kahler even has an achored top stud mount ? Only recessed and floating top mounts...
If it's just between the two, then FR. Otherwise Gotoh's.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Ibanez Edge or lo-pro Edge bridges as well as the Edge Zero bridges. Love the regular Floyd Rose bridges as well. Never bonded with the Kahler.

The name is originally Spanish, and it was spelled Ibáñez.

This is just like the argument that Leo Fender chose to use "tremolo" when he installed floating bridges which give you a "vibrato" effect.

Guys have been living with the wrong label for so long, they just accept it as truth, when it's not.

I'll bet you pronounce "karaoke", Carry Okie too, don't you?

It's kara okay.
It means empty orchestra, sort of like how karate = open hand.

Last edited:

mbetter

The name is originally Spanish, and it was spelled Ibañez.

This is just like the argument that Leo Fender chose to use "tremolo" when he installed floating bridges which give you a "vibrato" effect.

Guys have been living with the wrong label for so long, they just accept it as truth, when it's not.

I'll bet you pronounce "karaoke", Carry Okie too, don't you?

It's kara okay.
It means empty orchestra, sort of like how karate = open hand.
How do you address people named John? Johannes? Ioannes? Iōannēs? Yohanan?

Personally, I find it polite to address people by the names they use themselves. Please don't add any random punctuation to my name.

mbetter

It's funny you should mention Johannes.
Everyone is mispronouncing Scarlett Johansson's name as well.
You're right. Johansson, is a patronymic surname, meaning "son of Johan." Of course, Johan is Johannes is the same as John, which Ivan is a Slovak variant of. The same name pops up in Spanish as Ibán. In Spanish, patronymic surnames are denoted by the -ez suffix. So you can call her "Scarlett Ibáñez" if you want to.

Trending Topics