Kahler vs. Floyd Rose (with poll)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killed_by_Death, Mar 28, 2016.

Kahler or Floyd

1. FR

2. Kahler

3. Licensed FR from (fill in the blank in your response)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like the original Floyd Rose. It's easier to find parts for it. One of my best sounding guitars has an original Floyd Rose. I've never played the Kahler. It could be better for all I Know. Some pros prefer the Kahler.

[​IMG]
    I think the original Floyd Rose is the best looking tremolo there is.

2. Dubious

Dubious Member

i need to replace a weird yamaha licensed floyd on an old shredder i'm resurrecting... really surprised how few used floyd's there are on ebay.. or the emporium here.. woulda thought there'd be tonnes of em around.

3. mbetter

mbetter Member

A lot of the time the knife edges are shot on floyds pulled out of old guitars. Pretty easy for someone who doesn't know what they are doing to screw them up when they are trying to adjust the action.

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

It's possible to regrind the edges usually, though I've never actually tried to do it.

The main thing is that you gotta take all the string tension off before you start screwing with the height adjustment, otherwise you can scrape the edges along the posts and dull / burr them. I think it's more of an issue when the bridge plate is made of a softer material than the posts.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I like Vigier's version of the Floyd best.
    Ibanez LoPro Edges are great too.

6. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

At the risk of interrupting a perfectly productive leg-pissing contest over the pronunciation of Ibanez, I'd like to add something useful: Kahler vs. Floyd Rose is like asking someone if they prefer being punched in the face or kneed in the crotch.

For years, I've put up with people wading into Bigsby conversations saying crap like that. Phew. I feel so much better.

And: having removed at least two Kahlers from otherwise decent guitars, I'd pick the Floyd Rose. But only as a third choice behind being kneed in the crotch.

7. mbetter

mbetter Member

How do you like the Dave Murray strat?

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It arrives in two days, LOL.
    It's in transit from Arizona.
    I have wanted one since I saw the features & a GC employee was telling me that if he was to own a Strat, that would be the one.
    This was after he had been trying one out in their store, and it was not meant as a sales pitch to me.

mbetter likes this.
  9. monty

monty Member

I learn something new everyday here.

mbetter and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. megawzrd

megawzrd Member

11. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

12. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

It's been a long time since i had a guitar with the LoPro, but i don't remember that knob being there.

13. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I can't believe there's so little love for the Kahler. I installed one on my Les Paul, and there was no change in tone or sustain, and it would stay in tune for weeks, literally. The action is smoother than a Floyd, and I could palm mute without fear of detuning. The only reason I use a Floyd now is because I use the Graphtech version, with the Ghost piezo saddle inserts.

What about the Washburn WonderBar? I still have a Gibson S-1 that I put one on in the 80s, and that bugger still works just fine. Of course, the thing has more moving parts than a Harley, but it still works.

Alex Najarian likes this.
  14. GMGM

GMGM Member

It's a tough call. I would have to say the Ibanez Edge is most natural feeling to my hands. The FR licensed version by Gotoh, is really great too - probably the best aftermarket version you can find IMO.

I've been curious about the bearing mounted version of the Ibanez. But a bearing has more surface contact than a knife edge, I have to wonder if this is really a long term solution for consistent zero return. Or if the mechanism in the trem cavity is doing all the work. I guess I don't fully understand how that system works, but I will read the link above.

15. Alex Najarian

Alex Najarian Member

I am surprised at the results of this poll but I will share my observations/experience. I have more guitars with Floyds because that is how they came from the manufacturer. I find the Kahler to have many superior areas of design. Lets start with the fine tuners. The Kahlers are smooth and consistent. The Floyds are notchy, imprecise and inconsistent - loose as a goose, then stiff etc. Changing strings is a huge pain in the ass on the Floyd. As you adjust one string, it knocks the other strings out of tune. Yes, there are methods to minimize this but there is no way to avoid it altogether. On the Kahler, you don't have to deal with any of this nonsense. Just change the strings and tune each one. The string tension on each string does not affect the others.

Like I said, the Kahler is smooth flowing up and down but the Floyd is very stiff and has a trampoline feel to it. Boing, boing, boing....Kahler all the way but Floyds are certainly usable.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Every time I consider a Kahler I come here to remind myself not to, LOL!

17. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I bet you all pronounce "Keel'ed Bwhy Deeth" like "Killed By Death" too.

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

The Edge & Lo-Pro Edge are the best they made, but these days you either need to buy an old MIJ or a Prestige to get one of those.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  19. panther_king

panther_king Member

You know how you can be right, and just totally wrong at the same time?

20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Heaven forbid if someone wants to step outside the norm & not butcher foreign words like other U.S. citizens.
    It's worthy of ridicule, because those people need to get back in line with the rest of the sheeple.

I've since discovered they only put that on the Zero Resistance bridge setups originally, & later they put it on some Premiums with the Edge Zero II bridge.
    It's actually called the ZPS, Zero Point System, which is supposed to help bring the bridge back to its center position after a vibrato action.
    It totally dampens flutter, unless you take off the stabilizer bar:

[​IMG]

That's the stabilizer bar floating up from the body in the photo.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019