Kalamazoo vs Zen Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Black_Label, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I've played them both. They're very similar but different. How would you describe the difference between them?

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Zen = more raucous, saturated. I prefer it at higher gain
    K'zoo = smooth, like the Kardashian of Klons (big bottom end). I prefer it at lower gain.

Black_Label likes this.
  3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I dialed them in equally and thought the Zen was just a little more aggressive and open. Forward sounding. The K'zoo seems more laid back, if that makes any sense.

coltonius likes this.
  4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Never tried the K'zoo, but I'm really liking the red Zen. I have a ton of overdrives and this one's on my board. I've been using it set kind of warm because in my mind that's how a Dumble might sound but last night a turned the presence up and dayum, I didn't expect the level of attitude it can put out. Really great od.

coltonius likes this.
  5. coltonius

I definitely agree. I usually stack Zen > K'zoo, where the K'zoo is a "foundation" and the Zen is set for higher gain.

Black_Label likes this.
  6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I was thinking if I had another spot on my board I'd love to do that as well.

7. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

I play a lot of them.
    The thing I always notice is the Zen has a looser freq range where the kzoo is narrowed.

For instance if you compare them with a single coil guitar? Flip from the neck position to the bridge, back and forth.

You wil start to hear the eq range difference. I don't notice it with humbuggies.

coltonius, Black_Label and DaveKS like this.
  8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I'm just borrowing this Zendrive for the moment and, now that you mention it, I'm actually getting a pretty good range from my Les Paul too.

Im pretty in love with this pedal right now. Please please please tell me there's going to be another sns sometime soon!

9. la noise

la noise Member

Zen is a VERY forward pedal. I really dig it with
    the Red Dress Zen being my fave of the variations.

I do find it can be a bit too forward sounding in
    a band context with vocals. :huh

10. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

How do you think these two compare to the Eternity (if you've played that one)?

11. coltonius

He mentioned in the SNS thread that we're on SNS hiatus until next fall/winter.

12. mikeyfam

mikeyfam Member

I have all 3 pedals. The Zen is dumbleish, aggressive, open sounding, and mid heavy. The Eternity (I have the 2015 handwired burst) is tube screamerish, focused, tight, and voiced perfectly. The Zoo is Klonish, tight, bass heavy, but has a better higher gain sound than a Klon. I'd rank them Eternity, Zoo, Zen. They all have a good amount of gain on tap and clean up nicely. They are all top notch ODs just a matter of you're preference.

Black_Label likes this.