• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Kamaka 8-string Ukulele demo

Greg V.

Hey Folks,

Here's a new TV commercial demo using with my Kamaka 8-string ukulele. I used a Shure SM7 and Octava MK012 close miced and a Marshall V69 mic for the room sound. Blended the mics together for an open sound.

The tune is called Whispering Mist it's the first tune on my MySpace player. Click the link to listen.

Here's a picture, Koa sweetness...

Last edited:

kev

Beautiful song Greg! I enjoyed that, thanks for posting. Ignorant question, what's the tuning on an 8-string uke? Do you double the notes, or have a blend of doubles and octaves like with a 12-string guitar?

james russell

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you for that Greg. Love the tune. Very inspiring! I've been designing a tenor uke recently, and have the wood ready to build two ukes. I think one should be an eight string. That is such a beautiful chiming sound.

James

Greg V.

Hi Kev, Thanks! It's tuned low to high: GCEA. The G and C strings are octaves and the E and A are unison pairs. The Octaves almost gives it a hammered dulcimer kind of jangle.

Hi James, Thank you, Wonderful that you can build guitars and Ukes....

2leod

Re-Member
Very nice! I like the sound the 8 strings adds to the ukulele - like a mando with more girth. I also really liked the harmonic overtones in the recording, well done!

Forgive me for the sidetrack, but I'm very close to picking up a parlor guitar (can't wait!) made by a guy on Maui named Eric DeVine who is an accomplished ukulele builder - he makes beautful sounding and gorgeous looking instruments. I see the Kamakas are made in Honolulu - Eric probably knows them as he tells me the Hawaiian builders get together on a fairly regular basis to share techniques and further the craft.

kev

unison! That was the word my sleep deprived brain was searching for...LOL! Thank you! Sweet uke btw, much larger than I pictured in my head. That koa is nice, and the hula dancer really sets the mood! I was listening to the demos in your other thread...truly fantastic.

Woodyworld

I was very surprised. Sounds lovely.

Real nice playing too....just checking out the rest of your tunes while I type

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds cool Greg as usual. I was walking the dog while listening to my ipod yesterday and Bend the Dusty Road and 6 strings 7 Lonely Nights came up in the shuffle mix, awesome tunes. When are you going to release a new album?

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
There is so much emotion in your writing and playing, it just oozes out.

Greg V.

Many thanks to you all for checking out the tune, the good words and glad you enjoyed it. It's such a cool instrument to play and has a rich and lively sound for such a small instrument.

Hi Spatt !!!
Thanks, How ya doing? I hope all is well in sunny L.A..... it's finally getting warmer here in Nashville. Cheers!

Hi Brion,
Thanks, Glad you like my CD! Perhaps in the future I'll do another one....

Trending Topics