Kansas Live in Concert

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DB Cooper, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

As I grew up (came of age musically) during the age of arena rock (the 70s, early 80s) I attended LOTS of concerts in 5,000-10,000 seat arenas. In high school we looked forward to every new concert announcement, and I've seen most of the big rock groups from that era.

One of the groups I never saw was Kansas (Carry on my Wayward Son, Point of No Return, Dust in the Wind, etc...). I was never a huge fan, but appreciated their music in the context of all the other music I was into.

Well, tonight Kansas visits a local venue - a small, converted theater. My wife and I will be attending our first "big" concert in quite a number of years. (Our first date was actually a concert way back in '83: Kiss and Quiet Riot.)

Anyway, we're sitting 18 rows back, right in the middle, which should be perfect. I'll report back Friday!

Carry on, my wayward Son!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

I saw Kansas quite a few times back in the day. Late 70's. Great band.

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

As did I. Still my all time favorite live act.

If I may suggest, DB, if you don't yet have a copy of Two For The Show, you should definitely buy one.

4. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

Awesome, one of my personal faves!
    great live, great players
    Steve Walsh lots a little in the vocal dept but he had plenty to start with, and still sounds really good

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

When I saw Kansas I didn't even think it was Steve Walsh....the voice is so different...

6. andrekp

andrekp Member

The sound just like their records. I saw them again a few years at a tiny venue, and it was exactly like they were in 1980 (with a little less Steve Walsh high-end).

7. Tmac1957

Tmac1957 Member

I also saw them in the mid '70s. I believe they had just released Song For America and were still the opening act for decent size venues. I had their first album, but seeing them live made me a follower for several years. Caught them again in the 90's, they were still good but were playing most of the same material I had seen 20 years prior....seems they had a number of the original players, you should still enjoy the show.

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I saw them when they opened for Styx a couple of years back.
    They sounded good...but got blown off the stage by Styx.

And I was never a huge Styx fan...but, man, they rocked the house!

*I'm still a big Kansas fan!

S.
    j

9. macula56

macula56 Member

i saw them opening for Queen when Song for America had just been released. phenomenal band.

10. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Enjoy it. I saw them in 1977 and they blew me away how tight they were.

11. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I saw Kansas back in 1977 at the Spectrum in Philly. Half way through the concert, the band walked off the stage in the middle of the song while the music continued. It was pre-recorded. The sax player in my band was with me that night, along with our girlfriends, and it really pissed him off. He felt that it was a cheap move and showed how little the band really cared about its fans.

I didn't even notice-wacky tobaccy was very popular at concerts back then!

12. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren, not sure what to expect. Maybe the violinist and rhythm guitarist are original members? Hope it's a great concert!

Just looked, Steve Walsh and Rich Williams are in...should be good.

13. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Are they playing with a full orchestra? There are advertisements for a Kansas show with an orchestra out here soon. I saw them a while ago opening for the Alan Parsons project and they put on a pretty good show.

14. Luke V

Luke V Member

You forgot to put up the sarcasm alert. Some may think you are serious.

They kicked ass live back in the day the first time I saw them in a very small venue when they warmed up for Queen.

After Robby Steinhardt left, (violin, vocals) it was never the same.

15. 19rick52

19rick52 Member

I'll see them again in April when they're back in the area.
    My most favorite band.

16. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

POST-CONCERT POST...

Kansas ROCKED! Wow - very tight, excellent musicianship, tons of energy. The venue was a small, very old, coverted theater, and the sound was perfect. We were seated exactly in the center, in row R (18 rows from the front).

They played the typical 70s hits, including Point of No Return, Dust in the Wind, Hold On, etc.

One of the highlights for me was Portrait (He Knew) which has always been one of my favorite Kansas songs.

The encore was a double-shot of Fight Fire with Fire and Carry On My Wayward Son. Their rendition of the latter was very powerful and well-received.

I'm amazed when these aging rockers come out and perform songs which they must have played several thousands of times, yet they play them with immense energy and enthusiasm.

Overall, an oustanding show.

17. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

Cool, thanks for the update! Gear rundown?

18. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

I saw them a few years ago at a Rib cook-off type thing. Cost two bucks to get in. They rocked.

19. Jignant

Jignant Member

By far my favorite progressive rock band and in my top 5 bands in the rock genre. Seen them many many times with the last being in 2006. Glad they put on a good show!

Would rather have seen them with Seinhardt last time but Ragsdale did a good enough job. That band tours a lot, big venue or small so they are usually good live. Two items of note, Walsh's voice is a shadow of it's former self unfortunately and he looked as though he would rather have been home cutting his toenails that night. Did not say a WORD to the audience...

2006 shots at Pepsi Roadhouse outside Pittsburgh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tholmes

tholmes Member

I remember rocking out at a few local venues to a band that was called "White Clover".

They went on to become "Kansas".

Sheesh...I'm old.

Tom