kaoss pad players, let's share

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lazaruslong, Sep 12, 2008.

1. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

i cant get over how fun, and verstile this little guy is.

i run my guitar, samples, and random noises i make into the pad and loop them with alot of delay, distortion effects, filters (whatever i'm feeling). its a very fluid tool, creating a great ambient wash that you can actually play. mostly i do this to my buddies guitar, in a very post-rock format.

tele --> kaoss --> memory man --> sd1/rat --> comp --> roland jc77 with chorus on fixed and reverb

so, who else is in the kaoss camp, and how do you use it?

2. bdab_rock

bdab_rock Member

i've wanted one FOREVER!!! how easy is it to use with your own rig? do you find you need to kind of have it set up into a seperate amp/effects than your main rig?

3. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Is there tone suckage when using in a loop or something???

4. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

it does not have a very high internal sample rate, so it def does color your sound if you wanted just a pure, clean guitar tone. but--in my rig, the tone suck is balanced by the comp and delay, plus it all adds up to the ambient wash.

You would want a switch where you could run a direct signal to the amp/seperate effects for pure guitar. the main issue i run into without one is you can't get an unaffected guitar signal. with my loops running i usually like to have effects on them (esp. with pad motion recorded), but that means i can't play guitar without it also being effected, or you can improvise and play along (which gets pretty crazy/interesting, actually).

other fun applications are running vocals through it, especially on slower songs where you can build layers of the voices and swipe delay across it. but, i really like using it as an instriment in itself, becoming part of the sound. it's a shoegazer/pedalboy fantasy.

5. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

Hi,
    I've got a Kaoss pad 2 in my rig. I use the RCA ins and outs with RCA to 1/4"converters. It's connected to a true-bypass loop pedal. There's no real way to bypass the unit, itself. Essentially, it's alway on, so the loop was the best choice. It has some sounds of it's own which are pretty out there and using it as an effects box for guitar is intense. I mount mine on a short boom-mic stand and where the mic would normally go I have a bracket that I bolted to a 5"x5" piece of wood and it just screws on. The wood has velcro as does the back of my KP2.

Glad to know there's other people interested in this thing because I love mine.

6. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

been thinking about making a stand for mine, would you mind posting a pic?

i have played around with a looper, and really need to pick one up--that would expand the possibilities, instead of just four loops and the effects hitting them all. do you generally loop your guitar or use the internal sounds, i'm interested in all the different ways this thing can be used :)

something i have been thinking about is midi mapping a synth to it, and using the x/y axis to play it...i think each 'box' could be a semitone? maybe even some mellotron chorus sounds...

7. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

I'll post a pic of the stand this weekend. The KP's looper is very limited so I don't use it as my sole device for that, but you can modify your loops in ways with this thing that other pedals can't. I use my DD-20's SOS feature, get a loop going, and set the KP to 'hold'. You can do crazy stuff to loops going thru it. I haven't got into the MIDI thing with this, so I'd be interested to hear what other people have done.

8. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

look forward to checking it out,

come on i know there are more of you out there who use this guy!

9. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what my stand looks like. Anyone else use it live?

10. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

[​IMG]

The Kaoss Pad as seen in the Nels Cline rig.