Kar Krash arrived........

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nsriley, Jul 10, 2008.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

WOW! One of the most excellent pedals I've ever owned. The most amp like pedal I've ever owned. The dynamics are incredible. I have a lot of tweaking to do with it. Only had a chance to play my Strat through it and into a little made over lapsteel amp I have. I've never played through a real 'wreck' amp, but used to own a clone, and this pedal has that 'feel' to it. :dude I really dig the boost switch to ramp up the gain and love the Crashed/Wrecked switch. Most excellent. I look forward to running this into my Fargen MiniPlex Mk2 amp setup cleanly.

Other users:

Amp? Settings you enjoy?

2. Ken

Ken Member

Mine just arrived too...

I plugged in really quickly at home on my lunch break (I know running home at lunch to try a new toy is a sickness).

My quick impressions:
    Very Dynamic and big sounding. It has a nice boost. I like the Komet side better than the Wreck side. Not a lot of mids but plenty of highs and lows. I will play more tonight.

Are Komet amps voiced on the bright side like this?

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

Very cool! Congrats! I know that Wreck amps can be very bright, hence I would guess the Komets can be the same.

4. Ken

Ken Member

Ok...I will spend more time with it tonight and see how it acts with my Klon, Pinnacle 2 and BOR.

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

What amp are you using it through?

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

with treble, presence, and cut controls, it's tweakable.

7. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I got mine a couple of days ago as well. WOW. I don't know anything about comet or trainwreck amps, but this pedal rox. It's the first 2 channel pedal that I've really liked both channels. I'm using it with a 69 Fender Deluxe Reverb and a variety of guitars. I like the comet side for playing quiet stuff, and the trainwreck side for louder stuff. The cut and presence knobs are great tools for dialing in the sound at different volumes, or different guitars. It's a new favorite.

8. socal63

socal63 Member

are there any samples out on the net of this thing?

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Not many that I know of. There is one video on youtube.

10. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

man, I want one so bad!

11. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

A page or two down is this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=415953

I can't really describe how much I'm liking this pedal. It's does all of the things I've been looking for in an OD/ Distortion pedal. It works great with all of my guitars and amps, which is a first for me.

12. Ken

Ken Member

I sent mine back...It was just to bright for my rig...A great full sounding pedal though...If it wasn't so bright I would have kept it.

13. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

That's what I like about the pedal, is that it can be "bright." It sounds more like my guitar. A lot of pedals roll off the high end to get rid of the fizz, but the KK seems to have that top end without being fizzy. Of course this is with my guitar/amp set up. My amp (deluxe reverb) is on the bright side, so when I turn on most OD pedals, my tone would get dull. The Kar Krash sounds more like my amp.

14. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Hey,

First, thanks to the folks who listened and had nice comments on the sample (re the other post). I mixed it quick and on the "present" side to get the pedal out in front. Then again, it wasn't hard to get guitar presence in the mix with a Kar Krash and an ASAT bridge pup. I had it set basically flat.

I lean toward the mids and so I gravitate toward the "wrecked" setting which I hear as bass rolled way off with big upper mids and highs. Characteristics which are reminesent of a clone amp I played through. The "crash" setting is definitely more spread out with bigger bass. I've hardly even experimented there.

I'm still getting the relationships between presence, treble, cut and middle (and gain for that matter) and I think they are all pretty related on this pedal. With the controls flexibility, I think I can keep the top end under control without killing the attack or dynamics or getting tubby. I think there may be some sweet spots around this idea since I have found settings where I killed the high end and got sounds that were muted and a little congested to my ear.

I don't think this is ever gonna be a sweet pedal. It is more on the aggressive edge side of things. I find my best application in a modern country band. I'm not in any rock and roll bands but I think it'd work fine there too. I did gig it in an R&B setting using it as a pure solo boost overdrive only on the gradual setting with the volume turned up. I was playing a strat and staying off of the bridge pup for solos. I don't know if I'd pony up the cash for this pedal only for this application but it worked just fine. So I think it is versitile.

It is still no substitute for that elusive talent pedal. I'm still waiting for that one.

hunter

15. johan

johan Member

Not much talk about the new Menatone Kar Krash here. Must be over 100 of them out there. Some in the emporium already (that's where I got mine).

The new Menatone KK v2008 is an AMAZING pedal. DAMN! My ears are still ringing from playing it yesterday. You have lots of control to tailor the tone you want with cut, TMB, Pres. The Crash/Wreck switch is two different voicings with "wreck" being more upper mid/highs and crash more lower freq heavy or highs rolled off. The difference is noticable but I think I adapted to both voicings and found use for them both. The gradual mode is cleaner than I expected and transformed my 66 Super Reverb to something else. Great cleanish tones! The fast mode is dangerous. It's like balancing on the edge of feedback. Huge gain and volume boost. Whao!
    One thing, something I've been in contact with Mena about is, I find the difference between Gradual and Fast mode to big. A simple volume or boost control for the fast mode would be a great idea. Brian told me he could mod it for a small fee but told me it's just like the Komet. Never tried one so I can't tell.
    (The pedal has a handful of trimpots inside but Brian told me NOT to touch them. Never ever!)
    Is it worth the 300 I got it for? For me with the weak dollar, it's an amazing deal!

16. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Yeah... I've still loving mine, but it's hard to think about how much I paid for it.

I almost sold it so I could have the cash. I could always get by with a different pedal. But... it really is unique and can meet just about all of my low-medium gain, boost needs.

17. danel59

danel59 Member

I have one being shipped now. Can't wait! I am looking for using it to contrast with my Ethos for the more aggressive side of my playing.