Karma and the Suhr Badger 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulrocker, Dec 25, 2009.

1. paulrocker

paulrocker Supporting Member

I'm a traditionalist. I like a good vintage amp, no PCB boards.. you know typical amp snob.

Anyway, I came across the Suhr Badger 30 at a local guitar store. I wanted to hate it. PCB board, lame name, not vintage or cool looking to me. (I've also never seen a Suhr guitar I thought was "cool")

Only

I loved it. It sounded wonderful, great size for bedroom and recording studio, very workable power scaling, and nice vintage vibe sound.

So, my point. Well there is none other than I dig the Suhr Badger and maybe its me that's got to open my mind up a bit.

2. ivegotwood

ivegotwood Member

I own the badger 30 and love it...can do everything I need and more, and sounds fantastic doing it. I think your snobbery is safe, the Badger is pretty unique and super high quality.

3. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

The Badger is mostly handwird. Really great amps...

[​IMG]

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

As long as the build and component quality is there, the whole PCB vs. PTP thing is irrelevant. It makes no difference.

5. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

I'm in the same boat as you are. I want to love the Badger 30 as it will do most anything I need for it to do. But I'm from the Tweed era and Teles, Strats and Les Pauls and ES-335s. It just doesn't have the cool factor to my eyes. But, I'd take supreme tone for appearances most likely. The Bassman is the only one I've found that has both.

6. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

What's so unattractive about it? It looks like a mini Marshall head to me

abnerfm likes this.
  7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I'm with you JDoug, it looks like a mini plexi head. Very vintage. The tone of those Badgers is to die for too.

abnerfm likes this.
  8. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Exactly. I was just up at Suhr's playing thru one a few days ago, nothing short of awesome.

9. beej

beej Supporting Member

They're great amps. I've got the 18 and 30, really love them.

Not sure why anyone would judge an amp with their eyes- that's asking for trouble. As guitarists we're closed minded enough about gear already.

abnerfm likes this.
  10. lukeII

lukeII Member

Played one for about half an hour the day before yesterday through a Bogner 212 with V30s. My after thought is that Pete Thorn's video indeed translate that amps tone very accurately. I don't think it has a plexi vibe but I hear more JCM800 mixed with something else in there. I didn' find it to be as tight sounding as old Marshall but a great tone all the less. Not my thing but for those that like the old late 70s early 80s tone I thought it did great. The clean sounds are also really good for a cathode biased EL34 amp.

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

The cleans are really nice. Turn the power and drive all the way up and bring the gain way down and the cleans are fantastic.

abnerfm likes this.