karma suture

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gravy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. gravy

gravy Member

is a very deep pedal with multiple applications. curious how you use yours as well as where in the chain you have it. maybe even settings as well and thx for your input!

Blunder and erksin like this.
  2. blue62

blue62 Member

Hey @gravy I just got one and tried it for the first time tonight. A real winner for me. Too early to call but I think at least for the moment its bumped my Mojohand Huckleberry from the Germ fuzz position at the start of my chain.

I had Karma Suture at the start of the chain, followed by a Screwdriver and a Bearfoot Sparkling Yellow, everything running into an Xotic EP Boost with my 62 re-issue Strat with the original Fender vintage style PUPS going into a Blackface Deluxe Reverb re-issue.

I had the Screwdriver set up with very low pre-gain and plenty of sparkle and the main gain on about 11 o'clock so pretty much like a treble booster with just a hint of crunch when digging in. I left the SD & EP always on and used them to focus and sweeten the KS.
    Beautiful gooey, warm germ fuzz tones that cut a lot better than a Fuzz Face.

In terms of settings I used the input gain between 12 and dimed, more toward the dimed side once I got the other settings right. I had the diodes down around 10am which gave a pleasing space and crunch to the fuzz while the density got up around 2pm which gave me sufficient low end for what is a pretty bright signal chain.

Using the volume control on the guitar I was able to leave the KS on for whole songs and back off the get a saggy, dynamic rhythm tone that snarled when I brought the volume up and cut through for leads beautifully.

Very impressed with its first outing. The things that really stood out were how harmonically rich my tone was, how much it cut compared to my Fuzz Face and how easy it was to get singing feedback over a few octaves by turning to the side a bit and working the vibrato bar on the Strat.
    Very cool pedal.

3. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

That's high praise, the Huckleberry is a hidden gem.

Nice setup, by the way (from your description).

blue62 and gravy like this.
  4. blue62

blue62 Member

Yep the Huckleberry has beaten off every challenger over the last couple of years including Analogman CV7005, I love the thing.
    The KS does most of what I use the HB for and seems to cut a little better but mostly it was the richness of the overtones turning into feedback that really floated my boat last night. Its probably just a honeymoon effect, I doubt the HB will stay off the board too long but there is too much overlap in what they do to use both, probably :)

Sociophile likes this.
  5. gravy

gravy Member

yes, overtones either thick and fuzzy or chimey and rich - also takes other fuzzes/OD`s into nice feedback and sustain

blue62 likes this.
  6. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I have the ToneFactor Huckleberry (pre MojoHand), and it really shines.

blue62 likes this.
  7. blue62

blue62 Member

Yep, pushing the Screwdriver with the KS is gold. I found that magic point where pretty much any chord or note left sustaining turns into feedback but its quite gradual and not uncontrollable. Moving the angle of the guitar or the whammy bar takes the feedback into different octaves. I'm in heaven when I get my sound like that

I could quite happily play with nothing but a Huckleberry. Just dime the thing and ride the volume knob on the guitar all night. The range of tones just using the volume control is the best I've found with a fuzz from cleaner than clean through chiming crunch and thick syrupy fuzz, its all usable and having the body control makes it usable with humbuckers too. As a fuzz I like it better than the KS (or any other fuzz I've tried) but pairing the KS with a screwdriver took me to a different place and like I said its something about the overtones. The harmonic percolator circuit is not a myth it really works differently than a standard fuzz, surprised its not more popular.
    Next jam I might have both the KS & HB in positions 1 & 2 with the screwdriver after and see how they compare.

morgan918, KnowTalent, gravy and 2 others like this.
  8. aman74

aman74 Member

Will it get a lower octave effect at all? From demos it seemed to be the one thing it wasn't really doing compared to some other Percolator clones.

gravy likes this.
  9. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Interesting about the feedback!

gravy likes this.
  10. gravy

gravy Member

not hearing any lower octave effect on my KS.

aman74 likes this.
  11. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

It does all sorts of interesting things, but it doesn't have a lower octave effect.

blue62 likes this.
  12. aman74

aman74 Member

Thanks. I wonder why that aspect was lost.

13. erksin

erksin Member

The pedal isn't an octave Fuzz. It works with your amplifier to emphasize the harmonics it's capable of generating. If your amp generates lower octave harmonics then the Karma Suture should embellish those as well.

14. aman74

aman74 Member

I was referring to it's similarities to the harmonic percolator. The main circuit change appears to be the variable pot vs. a switch and the bass control. I didn't think much else would change. That's all.

15. blue62

blue62 Member

I haven't noticed that. I'm not that familiar with what the original was supposed to do. I thought it just added harmonic overtones which it seems to do. Does the original add a lower octave?
    Its very cool. More (loud which I can't do at home) testing required but so far so good.

chrismellotron likes this.
  16. aman74

aman74 Member

Not specifically an octave, but yeah in the way that some fuzzes tend to do...

17. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

If anything, it emphasizes a fitfh harmonic. The notes bloom in a ooowahhh kind of waveform. A little synthy, but in a good way. I have tried it a few times now; it's in my future.

I am talking about the Silicon version, which I like much better than the original germanium one.

Shnook likes this.
  18. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

How does the silicon version clean up with the volume knob on your guitar?

19. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

It cleans up well, but I prefer it with much less distortion than a say a fuzz face. How I like the KS happens at less gain than I would use on other fuzzes. That's where it's at its most expressive.

friend33 and Shnook like this.
  20. gravy

gravy Member

how do you tell a germ from a silicon?