Katana 100 1x12 vs. Amplifire original

Chris Hayden

I've owned the original Amplifire pedal since June of 2015 and have coaxed some great sounds out of it. I came from using HD500 for a years and before that XT Live. I really don't like FRFR monitoring and I have always gigged and played using one or two Tech21 PE60s. I get ear fatigue from the horns in the FRFRs and I also like the sound and style of the PE much better. When using any modeler that I've ever owned, I usually settle on one or two main amps and build my presets from there. I don't use anything more than the basics for my style of playing, that is amp, OD/Boost, Chorus, Delay and Spring Reverb. I'm mostly a single coil player as well.(Background info).

Lately I've been watching a ton of videos and reading all I can about the Katana 100 1x12. The intriguing thing about this combo, to me, is how easily it seems to get you where you want to go both with base amp sounds and also the possible effects available and the ease of dialing those effects. I was watching in YouTube video by a man last night that just showed him playing a Strat type guitar through a bunch of patches that he made up and engaged with the optional pedal. When he kicked on a chorus effect I thought, I've been working with Amplifire for over a year and never get a sweet chorus as the Boss with just one touch. Same with the reverb. I can't get a satisfying spring reverb out of the Amplifire but with a touch of a button and a twist of one knob the Boss is dripping wet spring reverb flows over and out of the speaker like a Fender amp reverb tank of the gods. Also the delays and phasers and flange seem superior in quality as well.

I'm seriously considering jumping into the Katana pool and moving on from the more complicated Amplifire set up. I don't think I would ever sell it off but it may be relegated to the shelf for a while.

I would love to hear my fellow Amplifire users opinions on my considered change of rig.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I don't own an Amplifire anymore but I will say I feel your pain. I pretty much used the old compare and match settings method of effects block creation. I have heard nothing but good about the Katana series and if I was just gigging live; I would probably go that route instead. I am good with FRFR and I dig my Kemper a lot. I gig with my Boss SY and it works great, so I can only imagine how much nicer the Katana series amp tones and effects are. I honestly haven't abandoned the thought of getting a Katana 100 combo and running my Kemper through the return when we gig.

Jim234

The Katana is a very attractive option. The guys in the amps and cabs forum for the most part love em. However having followed the thread almost obsessively I can say that many say they will continue to keep and use their more expensive gear, the katana being a decent grab and go rehersal and small pub gig. This says a lot. I did think that I might use one over my THR100 head and pedal board, but I am with the majority and will be keeping the more expensive gear. I am waiting for the current love to die down before making a move.

Bottom line is that you tend to get what you pay for in this game. Although it appears you get a lot for your money with the Katana

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I was watching in YouTube video by a man last night that just showed him playing a Strat type guitar through a bunch of patches that he made up and engaged with the optional pedal. When he kicked on a chorus effect I thought, I've been working with Amplifire for over a year and never get a sweet chorus as the Boss with just one touch. Same with the reverb. I can't get a satisfying spring reverb out of the Amplifire but with a touch of a button and a twist of one knob the Boss is dripping wet spring reverb flows over and out of the speaker like a Fender amp reverb tank of the gods.

Link, please!

Axe-Man

Keep the Atomic and run it 4CM with the Katana combo or head for loads of options! The K100H has midi too if you have your own cabs.

I own the K100C and with the simple addition of a parametric and 10 minutes of tweaks you can have an present, full, dynamic, tube like experience from it. Very impressive little amp and a total bargain.

Decently loud, inspiring to play as it's fluid and flatters you and really portable (combo anyway).

Is it as good as my handwired 100w amp and a killer 4x12? No, but not many other big tube rigs I've owned have been either.

So, I don't plan to sell my tube amps but the little Katana goes from baby sleeping to decently loud without problem and with the addition of an external boost and tuner (Atomic Amplifire?) it would make a killer, super portable, practice, jam, small gig amp. I really am happy with mine though at times I wish I got the head...the thought of the Katana and my 4x12 really is interesting.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
The Katana is a very attractive option. The guys in the amps and cabs forum for the most part love em. However having followed the thread almost obsessively I can say that many say they will continue to keep and use their more expensive gear, the katana being a decent grab and go rehersal and small pub gig. This says a lot. I did think that I might use one over my THR100 head and pedal board, but I am with the majority and will be keeping the more expensive gear. I am waiting for the current love to die down before making a move.

Bottom line is that you tend to get what you pay for in this game. Although it appears you get a lot for your money with the Katana
I think this is fairly wise. Sounds like the Katana is a great value piece but only time will tell if it is any kind of game changer. It's the current inexpensive new hotness. It's this month's Quilter. Which was last month's THR10, which was last month's Mustang, which was last month's Trademark 30, which was last month's Vypyr, or ID:Core or Orange Micro Terror or Tiny Terror or HT5 or JCA22 or Epiphone Valve Jr or whatever, it doesn't really cycle that fast and I missed a bunch but you get the idea. Every so often a nice pleasant surprise comes out in the inexpensive and/or SS category among all the practice amp cruft. People are impressed because it doesn't blow and it seems like some sort of paradigm shift. After a while some people stick with it, some relegate it to backup status, the rest are on eBay or Reverb. For most serious folks that last 5% is worth the premium in the long run even if some cheapo product is impressive for the price.

Chris Hayden

I've been camping out on the amp sub group reading the Katana thread over there. I'm up to page 101 and still have a few more pages to go!

From what I've read on that thread the consensus is about 98% positive for the 100 watt 1x 12 combo. I'm seriously contemplating jumping on that band wagon but can't seem to justify it to myself yet. With the optional foot control pedal and from the Tone Central offerings and price point seems like a no brainer. Watching the video of the Tone Central software makes me wish that Atomic had an editor as nice as the Boss one. It's a very impressive package.

"Meanwhile, I'm still thinking....."

Chris Hayden

Sorry, the site is called "Tone Studio" not Tone Central. My bad. Look at how easily this gentleman can navigate the GUI. Amazing.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
:spit

Tone Central is an awesome app. I assume you can't run a boost and modulation effect at the same time? Luckily enough; it looks like there is a solo boost built in on the channels themselves? I was disappointed in no flagship unit (beyond belief) but these amps are shaping up quite nicely.

That Slicer effect is cool. Wonder if you can control the speed of it via midi or tap?

Chris Hayden

:spit

Tone Central is an awesome app. I assume you can't run a boost and modulation effect at the same time? Luckily enough; it looks like there is a solo boost built in on the channels themselves? I was disappointed in no flagship unit (beyond belief) but these amps are shaping up quite nicely.

That Slicer effect is cool. Wonder if you can control the speed of it via midi or tap?

There's I think five different presets you can load at a time on the unit (you can store more patches on your computer to change out of the unit). With the GC-FC I believe you can toggle on off boost, effects and reverb on your preset as well as change to the five stored presets. I may not have that entirely correct but someone will clean up my errors, I'm sure.

With all the posts I've read lately by guys wanting easier controls on the Amplifire interface, I think this Tone Studio app does just that. Plus I'm impressed with all the different Boss and other effects available to you. For the price of the complete package of Amp, Tone Studio and foot controller, you get a lot of bang for your investment.

erikm5150

I feel your pain as well. I've been using the Amplifire live for the past year or so...
I can get good sounds, but i agree it is definitely frustrating to tweak sounds on this thing -- like the new delays and all those parameters for the fx -- like wtf? -- we shouldn't have to be studio engineers to work these things!... even the amp tones -- to get the real good tones, we need to deal with low shelf here, high cut there, para eq, etc, etc...
I am also contemplating getting a Katana to try out, but it will probably not replace my live rig.
I run the amplifire thru a FRFR (Matrix) and the sound dispersion on stage (I play in all sorts of places where soundmen are sometimes unreliable) is one factor why it's hard to go back to a regular 1x12 combo

Last edited:

huutevar

I assume you can't run a boost and modulation effect at the same time? Luckily enough; it looks like there is a solo boost built in on the channels themselves?

You can run a boost and modulation at the same time, modulations can use the delay / fx slot. There isn't a solo boost in the traditional sense integrated into the channels, the boost is Boss' name for dirt pedal effects slot.

You can't control the modulation speeds with a tap, only the delay effects.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
You can run a boost and modulation at the same time, modulations can use the delay / fx slot. There isn't a solo boost in the traditional sense integrated into the channels, the boost is Boss' name for dirt pedal effects slot.

You can't control the modulation speeds with a tap, only the delay effects.
If there's a wishlist of any sorts; this seems like something that should be on it. Slicer to tempo would be awesome effect.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom