Katana 100 vs. Katana Artist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fireproof, Apr 21, 2018.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Note that it may feel stiff at first. I almost returned mine the day i got it. The speaker doesn't so much sound a lot different when it breaks in, but it FEELS a lot different. Within maybe an hour it felt notably less stiff and over time it's become much more dynamic.

GrantRowlands and Fireproof like this.
  2. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

K100 Head + 2x12 cab with Celestion Greenbacks. Boom goes the dynamite.

Guitarwiz007 and Axe-Man like this.
  3. MartinC

MartinC Member

The Artist is about the same size as a Hot Rod Deluxe ... and about the same weight (it's 2 lbs lighter ... but that'd probably be hard to detect)

I definitely don't find it unwieldy ... and the extra size and cabinet thickness (ie thickness of the panels that it's made of) would definitely play a significant role in how beefy it sounds.

Axe-Man likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I would say no but I would also recommend the 100w Katana head with a separate cab for the very best results.

5. Nick Fotis

Nick Fotis Member

And its internal speaker is nice for bedroom levels.

N.F.

Guitarwiz007 and soulman969 like this.
  6. Caprica

Caprica Member

Sorry to reawaken this thread, but did Boss revoice the line out on the artist to account for the change in speaker in the artist?

7. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Anyone else experience a weirdness where you love the Katana for months and then all of a sudden it sounds different and you can’t get a good tone out of it? I don’t know what happened. I reset it to factory settings. Reloaded presets I previously liked....

I think it happened before i updated to firmware v3....

I don’t think anything is different with the cab. I tried unplugging it and using the built in speaker but the sounds are pretty much the same.

8. dazco

dazco Member

Check the global EQ to make sure it hasn't changed. I once wondered why it all of a sudden sounded different and the global EQ was one when i keep it off. It's possible i tried it for something and forgot to turn it off afterwards but i could not remember doing that. So check it.

GrantRowlands and RolandKorg like this.
  9. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Thanks. I don't see that it had changed, but i used some global EQ settings recommendations i found on TGP in another thread, and they really did seem to change things, for the better. I still don't have the same satisfaction i did before, but i may just not be remembering accurately.

10. icetrey47

icetrey47 Member

I have this going on right now, and it's insane. Lately I feel like ALL my gear sounds poor, and I can't get a good tone out of anything. I have an old Spider IV 15 and I feel like I can make that thing sound easily as good as my Katana. Is something wrong with me? I promise I'm being serious.

RolandKorg likes this.
  11. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

No you are not crazy. My spidervalve mk2 kills the katana.

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've felt a similar way before. Not specifically about the K-A ... just patches of time when I have felt like nothing sounds much good. I can also recall hearing the great Tommy Emmanuel say the same thing ... which must say that it can happen to the best of us!

Options:
    • Take a break from playing for a short while (this is also what I recall hearing Tommy Emmanuel say)
    • Try setting your tone to match a record that's inspiring you at the moment
    • Buy some new gear to inspire you again (this is TGP!)
    • Plug in and turn up! A bit of chest thumping volume can do wonders

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Peppy likes this.
  13. dazco

dazco Member

I mentioned this a while ago, but it just gets replies joking and making fun. Maybe i'm the only person on the planet this works for and maybe it has nothing to do with your issues. it does for me tho so here goes. when your ears have pressure build it can make your amp sound like crap and sound lower in volume than usual.You now how your ears pop when u come down from altitude? Well, it can happen without an altitude change and cause this. To relieve it get a glass of water and drink at least 4 or 5 gulps while holding your nose closed. When my amp sounds bad or low in volume i do this and usually my ears pop and it sounds like i took ear plugs out and the amp sounds good again and considerably louder. Give it a shot, it often works for me.