Katana 100 vs Quilter MicroPro 200 Mach 2 - 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratzrus, Feb 16, 2017.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm thinking about getting a Katana or MicroPro Mach 2. I played through a Katana last weekend but didn't really have a chance to dial it in to my own personal tonal preferences.

Has anyone played through both?

If so, what were your impressions of each? What did each one do well? What areas could stand improvement?

Which did you prefer and why?

I'm not as concerned about effects other than reverb. I'm more concerned about basic clean tone with just a little reverb for Jazz and the gain tones.

Thanks!

2. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I owned a MicroPro Mach 2 HD 12" about a year ago (and gigged with it twice) and now own a Katana 100 (first gig test tomorrow night.) The Quilter had tremendous bass, a crisp clean (I found the Smooth and Surf settings most balanced, not their Full Q) and a decent edge of breakup when you got the gain up around 10am. The Cream boost was a nice semi-saturated tone - I wish the boost had had a variable volume as well as the tonal options. Quilter reverb is nice, a bit of a noise floor that becomes irrelevant at rehearsal or gig levels. I prefer the Katana for natural mid-gain to high gain tones (whether you are talking about the channel gain or the assignable "Booster" dirt pedals.) The Quilter took my existing dirt pedals well, particular for low string chord work, but lacked a bit of the presence that my tube amps let shine through (and which the Katana seems to preserve better, at least at home). And with the gain anywhere past edge of breakup, I just found the Quilter dirt (aside from Cream boost) harsh relative to either my tube or SS dirt pedals. So I sold the Quilter and kept searching for a super-portable tube amp instead.

While the Quilter is built like a tank, and the Katana not so much, the Katana will give you more bang for the buck at similar size/weight.

Elantric and stratzrus like this.
  3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I finally got to try a Katana and I couldn't work with for a second. It totally leaves me cold and sounds sterile to me. Damn it; I really wanted to like that amp. I guess there's not much that can match a 66 Princeton Reverb or a 57 Deluxe set up right.

Madison likes this.
  4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Man I have listened to the clean demos of the Katana through headphones, laptop speakers even car speakers. I find them terrible. It's cousin the Roland Blues Cube on the other hand is making me think about going solid state. I love the clean and gritty tones I have heard from the stock models (without the tone capsules added.)

5. Madison

Madison Member

I've owned both, the MP was the HD version, and the Katana was the 100w version. Of course you know you're comparing a $1,000 amp to a $300 one, so the build quality is apparent in all areas. That being said, the K is a surprisingly good sounding amp with some gain, although I found the clean somewhat flat/sterile in a band mix.

With either I'd recommend a head and decent size 1x12 open cabinet. Both Q and K combos are too small for my tastes, which translates to a smaller output. Both are very loud, and with a different cab will shine.

I ended up keeping a Q Aviator 12 which has a 'deluxe reverb' size cabinet.

I have a couple Quilter and and Katana videos on my page if you want to hear them:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/teleclasster/videos

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Artb and stratzrus like this.
  6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks for your replies. This is helpful.

7. Joeblues27

Joeblues27 Member

I have played the Katana,not a bad amp but somewhat sterile sounding. I have a Blues Cube Stage and love it,and I love the tweed tone! No plans for a tone capsule,I was sold on the stock tone completely.

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I tells ya. I'm a bit of a tube snob and I've got the angel vs devil on my shoulder thing going on. Well the wife isn't too into my getting a new amp at this point but when she gives the go ahead I just might go...SOLID STATE! :eek:

9. rdodson

rdodson Member

I dig the Katana, especially with all the unlocked amp models. The Twin is great if you want to get away from the Roland Jazz Chorus sound which is standard.

dlguitar64 likes this.