Katana Artist Vs Nextone Vs TM Deluxe for my clean needs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gig Young, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Welles; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Simple man, simple needs:

Play clean w reverb, (sometimes slight delay). Play out at times, mellowish stuff.
    Not loud.

For my non-rabbit hole needs the TM Deluxe seems to maybe fit the bill...
    - But the Katana & Nextone are definitely less $$.
    Do those get good cleans, not strident sounding?

Any suggestions of the three amps??

Tanx!

2. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

TM Deluxe.

Used to own a Nextone, but I didn't hang on to it very long. Still, other folks who spent more time with them seem to have dialed in sounds they really like. But as an owner of a TM Twin Reverb, all I can say is these things are truly legit. Add to that the power attenuation and the speaker-emulated XLR output. Highly recommended.

3. Ejay

Ejay Member

Small light amp and good cleans....fender superchamp!

Gig Young likes this.
  4. Gig Young

Hmmm...
    Didn't think of something like that.
    I want a 12-inch speaker at least so I'll look that up to see if it has it.
    tanx!

5. Ejay

Ejay Member

Nope...10 inch.
    Sounds fine to me..also gigging the little dwarf.
    But....I don’t do chuggachugga ;)
    In my search for a small amp I tried a lot, katana, core, nextone, blackstar, vox...super champ was a very (very) clear winner...probably cause of the tube powersection.

Gig Young likes this.
  6. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

For clean w/reverb I doubt you'll find better than the TMDR or TMTR. It's a "real" Blackface clean with the best digital spring reverb I've heard from any amp. I owned a SCXD and it doesn't compare, imo.

BTW, look into the TMTR. It's only $100 more than the DR, only weighs 33 pounds, is 2x12 instead of 1x12 and sounds bigger and has a controllable bright switch.

rongtr1, RodTruss and Gig Young like this.
  7. Gig Young

Thanks. Yes, someone posted on the tone master thread that they went ahead and got the twin because it's richer sounding.

And of course the weight for that is very reasonable it seems

8. Redrum

Redrum Member

Aside from the 1x12 vs. 2x12 sound dispersion, the TMDR sounds plenty "rich" on it's own. It is, after all, a Deluxe Reverb. Some here feel the TMTR is the clear and obvious choice if you're looking at the TM's, but believe me, the TMDR is plenty of amp-especially if you use the XLR/IR's. It's a big sound in the lightest possible package. The bright cap on the TMDR is also out of the circuit when the volume is up around 4 or more on the vibrato channel. The cool thing about the TM's is you can crank the volume up and basically leave it there. Just adjust the power level to the room/situation.

The TMDR really comes into it's own between 4 and 5 on the volume dial. In the 4 months I've had the amp I've rarely played it with the volume below 4. 4 to 6 seems to be the sweet spot and I have no issues with my pedals into the vibrato channel at those volumes.

Just depends on what tonal character you're looking for. Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb.

LordByron and Gig Young like this.
  9. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Member

Katana clean is nice. VERY clean. Turning up the gain adds a touch of compression and just generally warms up the tone and feel. And if OP ever wants a bit more hair, the boost pedal is built in to the amp and/or the crunch channel is wonderful.

I also think OP would be happy with either TM for all the reasons provided by the others. Just wanted to chime in as the Kat will absolutely go what OP asked for (and a WHOLE lot more). Kats were made for simple men with simple needs.

Strat335 and Gig Young like this.
  10. ylo

ylo Member

I played a TM Twin the other day. It sounded identical to my 1971 Twin Reverb although I didn't have them running side by side for a precise check. What blew me away was the lack of weight -- I could easily do an arm curl with the TM Twin, lifting it using the handle by bending my elbow, no dead lifting using two straight arms required. The TM Deluxe of course is even lighter.

Gig Young likes this.
  11. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

diff circuits though so diff tones somewhat. the dr breaks up sooner and may be better for bluesy stuff without pedals. vs the twin.

Gig Young likes this.
  12. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Check out the Orange 35rt... you can get it in black also. Very inexpensive and very natural sounding.

Gig Young likes this.
  13. still.ill

still.ill Member

what wattage setting with atten. are you setting it too for vol 4-5?

14. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

I recently sold my Katana Artist because I wasn't a fan of the high gains. I just didn't like how the clipping sounded sooooooo cookie cutter and digital, but the cleans were absolutely fantastic. Very very reminiscent of a JC, bell like and pristine at very very high volume. Really should have kept it, but I thought I was going to like all the tweaking, but I realized I didnt want to get my computer or phone out every time and went back to the good ol fashion tube amp and pedalboard with all my physical dials.

The thing sounded fantastic though for up to a crunch.

15. Redrum

Redrum Member

.5w and 1w and 5w for lower volume home use and 12w mostly for use in a band mix. On occasion I use the full power 22w setting but it's actually a little too loud when volume is at 4-5 (even with a pretty heavy handed drummer). 12w setting is just about right for my band mix and I always use the XLR/IR's into a P.A. I've even turned the amp to standby and just used the XLR/IR out a few times. I like to bump the mids a bit on whatever mixer channel I'm using as well.

still.ill likes this.
  16. Gig Young

Thnx. Nice to hear about the cleans on that. Maybe the Waza speaker helps on depth.

Fender Super champ maybe w a speaker upgrade also looks promising for my needs.

17. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Yeah I owned a 50 and loved it a lot so I gave it to a bandmate and bought the Artist and can attest to how amazing that speaker is. I have heard they are specifically tuned for the Katana and don't sound very good with other amps but what to I/they know.

Jabberwocky and Gig Young like this.
  18. Peppy

Peppy Member

Played all of them. A lot. Gigged the Katana 50 several times. No brainer for you: Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster.

Gig Young likes this.
  19. Gig Young

yeah, the Tone Master keeps me from going down the rabbit holes of too much choice of things I don't even need or want, since I am a clean player.

* I guess I can ask now, can't the Katana Artist or the Nextone at least sound as good clean as what the Deluxe Tonemaster reportedly is?

Tanx

LordByron likes this.
  20. Peppy

Peppy Member

Nope.

Gig Young likes this.