Katana Head to Powered Speaker Cab?

hawk45

Recently got a Katana 100 Head to use at home. It's cool b/c I can use it on my 4x12 slant cab if I want to really feel it, or I can bring it over to my workstation area as a stand alone since it has a small 5" speaker housed in the head itself which sounds pretty good on the .5 settings. Now, a buddy asked if I wanted to come over his place and jam with some of his other friends, but I don't want to haul my 4x12 over there and the 5" speaker isn't going to be loud enough in the mix. He has a Tech21 Power Engine 60, which is a powered 60watt 1x12 speaker cabinet. Could I just use the line out in the effect loop and plug that into the line in on the Power Engine 60 and be all good? Then the PE60 volume control just becomes my master volume right?
Thanks, Hawk

hawk45

Man, Boss support is fast! Got a response in 2 hours. Here is there response if anyone is interested down the road.

Yes that's correct connect the KATANA-HEAD MK2 EFFECT LOOP: SEND to the external combo amp EFFECT LOOP: RETURN/POWER AMP INPUT.

This effectively pairs up the KATANA-HEAD MK2 PREAMP with the TECH21 POWER AMP.

Alternatively if the TECH21 is a powered combo you can use the LINE OUT to the INPUT of the amp as well.

On the KATANA-HEAD MK2 you can set the STEREO EXPANSION: OFF or ON and connect from LINE OUT to the amp INPUT or the amp POWER AMP INPUT.

Really depends if you want to sue the TECH21 preamp or not and just use it's power amp.

Use STEREO EXPANSION: ON if you're using a connected cab to the KATANA and wanting STEREO EXPANSION with the TECH21.

hawk45

I'll have to test this, but I think I may need to also put a 1/4 cable or headphone converter into the amps extension cabinet plug to turn the small 5" speaker off. Trick it into thinking I'm plugged into a cabinet.

hawk45

OK, here is what works with this specific Tech21 Power Engine, again, with only one input (1/4").

Going Amp -> Line Out -> PE60 Input = Did not work

Going Amp -> Stereo Expand (On) -> Stereo Line Out -> PE60 Input = Did work (Full power to PE60 only - Loud!)

Going Amp -> Stereo Expand (Off) -> Stereo Line Out -> PE60 Input = Did work (Stereo with the 5" speaker and the PE60 - But at a lower volume, maybe the power is split or using the 5" speaker limits the power).

Options are great!!

Trending Topics