Katana Tips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pizzaking, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I bought a Katana 50mk2 on an impulse without trying it first. It sounded good in the YT videos I watched and I thought it would be fun to have as a plug and play, bedroom , practice amp. I’m not expecting it to replace my tube amp and pedals.

However, I don’t hate it but I’m a bit underwhelmed. I’ve gotten it to sound better than it was out of the box by tweaking the settings and trying a few free patches I downloaded.

So far, I’ve been able to get a decent clean sound, but anything with gain doesn’t sound so great.

There are so many parameters though...There’s at least 4 different places you can EQ...

I’m just looking for some good classic rock type sounds. 60s-90s style.

Can anyone share some of their secrets to getting the Katana to sound it’s best please?

2. Alex Z

Alex Z Member

Search for "Katana Global EQ" on this forum. I am going to GC today to get my second Katana. The first was a 1x12" MkI combo for my son ($150 used). Since I have my Tube gig amps the tones were not only good enough but quite good for garage level band jamms. Even the cleans were surprisingly useful with my pedals. Now with the MkII I want another for the simplicity of gong from Idea to power switch to Power chords in 5 seconds. ...I'm back, they were out of Heads (that sucks huh?) so I came home with the 1x12" Katana 50 watt. I left this thread open so I it worked out ok.

So the Katana its not everything in one bottle, I found it has some limitations and just not quite "there" with REAL tube sounding. That Hi frequency "digital rasp" (That's what I call it - cioned the phrase myself) is always there so most advise is to turn down the treble, in the Global EQ using the Editor even

3. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

4. NatGardner

NatGardner Member

Forget the effects, boosts and Boss software for a while. Put the amp on the stand you intend to use it on, stand 15 feet away, put the master on 3:00 on the 50 w setting. With your guitar volume knob on 7, dial in the 60's semi dirty sound you like with just the gain, B,M,T on the clean channel. Set that as preset 1. Do the same on the crunch channel for your 70's crunch. Set that as preset 2. The reverb stinks so use just a little to get a bit of space. Once you can master the Katana's basic controls and dial in these two basic rock tones on the fly you can push them with an EQ pedal for solo's. I just crank the guitar's volume knob to 10 and step on the EQ pedal for a nice solo boost.

Live or with a band you can't tweak these things without attaching them to a PC so learning how to dial in these two tones helped me learn the tones this amp can get. I use this amp as a two channel amp via the 2 presets. I keep the panel set up on Brown and work the guitar volume for GnR, Sabbath, Metallica ect. That gives me 3 great tones without using a PC.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've never plugged-in to a Katana but it's so popular I suspect you'll get a "ton o' Katana tips".

Say that 5 times fast!

6. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

I was underwhelmed by the effects in the out of the box experience and how you tweak the knobs and what you can do.

I was overwhelmed by the effects after you plug it into the computer, to the point where I thought I was gonna spend days tweaking and setting hundreds of presets. But it was such hassle to do so I made a rhythm clean and lead tone and never plugged it in again. Sold not much longer afterward. I went back to a tube amp and physical dial'd out pedalboard soon after.

Katana's are pretty neat, but to really open it up you have to use the computer app, and that is such a PITA.

7. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

Remember that tachi blades won't cut through the boiled leather armor of the Mongols. Oh, you mean the amp.

8. 74princeton

74princeton Member

There's a place for adjusting the "global" eq in the software. Personally I found dialing out a lot of the high frequencies really made a difference.

9. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Copying what I said in another post, see below. I don't know if all of these options exist on the 50 watt, but it worked ok on my 112.

It took me a while to get my Katana to make satisfactory high gain tones. A few things I did:
    - Set cab res to vintage (I think that's what it's called)
    - Tube screamer set to 0 drive into the Brown amp with gain at 40
    - Post signal chain EQ via Tone Studio. I recall I removed some mids around 500 Hz.

10. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have the Katana 50, Mk1, and I have found that I can get really useable tones out of just setting the clean sound to where I like it without any effects, then using the Boss FS-6 pedal I can set three other sounds that I call Low gain blues, Crunch, Santana Lead. With these four tones it's pretty easy to cover the sets we use in the band. I use the effects sparingly, if at all and am happy with the overall tone, will it replace my Jim Kelley amp, no but for $229.00 it is pretty amazing tool for a gigging musician and the ultimate practice amp.

11. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member