• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Twisted Pair

I have to admit that my teenage self was first attracted to her album covers before I heard her music. Once I listened, she had me hook, line and sinker, but it was her extraordinary beauty that drew me in first.

Glitch Magnet

Amazing artist, I remember taping an 8 X 10 photo of her on my wall. Cloudbusting was probably my favorite tune, among so many choices.
Cloudbusting is exceptional, and carries extra weight for me. Several years ago when I had a gigging band, we went to see one of our fans perform at a tiny club in NYC not knowing what to expect. She sang and had a couple string players among other instruments, and out of nowhere performed Cloudbusting. I didn't think it could be done, but it was seriously beautiful. So good. Shortly after that show, she died unexpectedly. Wish I could replay that performance.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan of the film, at Close Range. The melody is used rather effectually throughout.
I’m with you on that. An excellent movie with very good acting. I hate Madonna with the heat of a thousand suns but I’ve always thought that was a really good song. I’m not sure how much credit should go to her or the production team but it’s exceptional nonetheless.

Solarflares

I prefer Pat Benatar's version.
Absolutely zero vocal dynamics in the PT version. She seems to have one default setting that’s locked. Much like everything she’s ever done.
Also , you can clearly hear the drop-ins and corrections in the recording. Amateur hour behind the desk as well.
Icing on the cake is that she sounds like she’s reading the verses from a lyric-sheet as she “performs” the vocal.
So there you go , now piss off.

BADHAK

Kate was born a genius, apparently. I was hooked from the first time I heard this, written when she was only 13 and recorded before her voice broke upward!

Still the best thing she ever did. :D

And as if he hadn't already done enough for the world of music, David Gilmour will always have my gratitude for giving Kate a gentle push to get her material out there.
That whole album is outstanding. Kite, James And The Cold Gun,Them Heavy People, Oh To Be in Love (my fave)....so many great songs. But yeah, Man With The Child In His Eyes is a standout.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
The word "genius" gets thrown around more than it should, but in Kate's case it's completely deserved. If I told you that the best album of the '80s had a song about Houdini, and one about Vietnam, and another about a bank robbery gone wrong, and one about the industrial intrusion upon the Aborigines, you might be skeptical. But that's a taste of what The Dreaming has to offer, and it was made when Kate was 23. It's a staggering achievement, and perhaps more accessible than it ought to be, given how it courts madness and abandon on so many levels.

Trending Topics