Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur Guitar Tones, Help Identify Amp In Live Video

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by evanderbelt, Feb 11, 2012.

1. evanderbelt

evanderbelt Supporting Member

Thought I'd start a discussion about the guitar work on this record, for those of us who have it on repeat. She's always had great guitar playing/tones on her records, but her guitarists Jim Bryson and Gord Tough really killed it on this record with Justin Vernon of Bon Iver at the producer helm.

The sounds on "Mint" and "For the Record" in particular caught my attention. Any guesses on the kind of amps make these sounds? The band sounds great live as well, as shown in this video from Letterman recently. I couldn't tell what either of the guitar amps were. Can anyone else?

http://youtu.be/qJCzaV63EoM

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

bad link

which song?

3. evanderbelt

fixed. thanks. it's "change the sheets."

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

if her husband, Colin Cripps is still playing with her. it's mostly Texeira amps. He has a signature model amp.

here's the link to their site. look for the Bernie amp.
    http://www.teixeiraamps.com/index.html

Colin also posts here once in a while re his amps and asst. gear.

5. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

Kathleen and Colin are divorced. Her new beau is Justin Vernon, the guy from Bon Iver who also produced the album.

6. losergeek

losergeek Member

That's Gord Tough playing with her (formally of Weeping Tile and also Holly McNarland's band) - he's playing through two amps so it's hard to tell which is providing the actual tone, but I know the one on the left is almost certainly a burny (bernie?) custom that he builds himself. I used to play with Gord's brother Dave and he built two amps for my band mates that are really, really nice.

7. losergeek

losergeek Member

Also interesting story, Kathleen's other guitarist, Jim Bryson, who's currently on break with a newborn, also plays one of Gord's amps which might lead someone to think that Kathleen is more concerned with the tone then the guitarist:)

8. Jove

Jove Member

It certainly does seem like the Bernie is a mighty important member of that band.

I'm sure others can build a variation but I can't think of any better recommendation for Texeira if you want those style tones.

http://bernieamps.com/

I own one of the amps in the link and it was used on 90% of the work I did last year. (Live and recording.) Just an amazingly flexible and unique tone. Highly recommended.

J

9. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I still keep coming back to threads about these amps. I can't get over how toneful they are, even in just the clips on the website. I keep mulling over the idea of running a two-amp setup with a Bernie as the dirty/lead amp alongside my vibrolux reverb.

10. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Just saw her in concert a couple of weeks ago at the 930 club - great show! The band was hot with a lot of tasteful guitar. Gord Tough had a 2 amp setup you can see her at the 00:22 mark :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJCzaV63EoM

Kathleen had an AC30 and I think keyboardist/guitarist Jim Bryson had an AC15 - really nice guitar tones. The bassist and drummer were great too. I really enjoyed this show.

Edit: Oops, same link as OP.

11. losergeek

losergeek Member

I doubt it was Jim that you saw since he hasn't be touring with her this time. Apparently he did play a couple songs at the Ottawa show the other night and I think he has a solo gig nearby in Wakefield tonight or tomorrow. People should really check out his solo stuff though - it's pretty great.

12. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Agreed. I have his "The Occasionals" Cd and its awesome - great writing and great playing.

13. neils

neils Supporting Member

I saw the band a few weeks ago in Tarrytown NY at the WFUV show. Great tones and now that I think of what Tough played I am completely blank. Two amps, not a clue. Maybe the Youtube videos will knock some sense into me.

Tell you though when Kathleen strapped on that LP Jr into the AC30 she freakin' had killer tone. NOT what I expected at all. Fat thick big chords. Nice and it worked so well with Toughs' playing.

Just went to YT and looked up the WFUV shows. "Empty Threat" has some good views of the amps several times. She plays the JR towards the end of "Soft Places"

Neil

14. evanderbelt

losergeek, thanks for weighing in, that's a really cool bit of information.

Neil I watched those videos too, and while you get some clear shots of the amps, it never gets close enough to see the logo and I can't for the life of me tell what it is.

15. HughesP

HughesP Member

Just saw them last night in Toronto. GREAT show.

I was right next to the stage and was checking out some of the gear.. could not, for the life of me, figure out what Gord was playing for amps. Figured one was a burnie clone... the one that is black there. Interestingly, I saw Sarah Harmer this past summer and it looked like she had an almost identical amp. Pretty cool!

But the other amp - natural wood look, green light, etc... could not figure out what that was at all. I've got some pictures on my phone that I'll try to attach later. I can tell you, from watching them clear things frmo the stage, that I THINK the amp appears to have 4xel84 tubes, so it may be something fairly vox inspired.... but I'm not 100% sure of anything.

Gord also seemingly had a few homemade pedals on his board, along with a TC Nova Repeater and a few other gadgets.

Kathleen edwards has 2 Dr. Scientist pedals (I think a RRR and maybe Tremolescence) as well as, to my surprise, a T-Rex Octavius...

I'll try to post some pictures I took if any turned out...

16. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

I was in the front row at the Ottawa show, it was outstanding. I have been a fan since her first album and think that she has some great songs and a great voice. Gord Toughs tone the other night was incredible. I saw his pedalboard, but the only pedal I recognized was a Wampler reverb, and I am usually pretty familiar with pedals...but I was looking at them upside down as I was on the floor and the board was on the stage. He was running two amps, the black one looks a lot like a Swart STR not the tweed version but the original one. The second amp I had no clue about. I can look a little deeper and try and dig up some more information. Kathleen was running through an AC15 or AC30 and the other amp on stage was a Tex amp.

17. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Saw her recently in Philadelphia...Kathleen has a vintage AC10, pretty sure. There was a blue Teixeira Bernie on stage left and Gordon had a two amp setup...not really sure what either one was. Weird enough, from far away, one had a lighter-colored tolex with a badge on it that looked like a "National" badge.

18. szechuan

szechuan Member

Really glad to see a thread on this. I've been a fan for a while. I was at the Toronto show last night and spent a while at the front of the stage, gawking at gear. Gord's amp on the left looked like something homemade (possibly Bernie inspired, but who knows). As for the amp on the right with control panel on the front (containing chicken-head knobs and green pilot light - the control panel reminded me of a Carvin amp), I have no clue but it had a small silver crest at the top-left corner of the grill when looking at it from the crowd (it reminded me of the crest that Carr uses for their Artemus amp http://carramps.com/artemus.html). I couldn't recognize anything on Gord's board apart from an older EB volume pedal (with jacks on the side) and the tc electronic pedal already mentioned. At first I thought some of the pedals were homemade, but upon closer look most if not all of them seemed to have some wording or graphics printed on them.

Kathleen's board did have the two Dr. S pedals and the T-Rex pedal already mentioned, along with a couple of Boss pedals (one was a a tuner, the other was a line selector I think). Not sure what the other pedals were. I'm pretty sure her amp was an AC10 or AC15 (not an AC30). The fill-in for Jim Bryson played Kathleen's flower Tele through her grey Teixeira Bernie amp - couldn't really hear him through the mix though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can provide more specifics.

Gord's playing was fantastic of course, and quite prominent in the mix. I always found it interesting to see the slide stuck to his guitar (in the space created by the cutaway). I also found his style very interesting, he plays both with and without a pick depending on the song. When he plays without a pick, his right hand doesn't move much and hides what his fingers are doing underneath, but the sound is fantastic and intricate. Great stuff!

19. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

I do believe it was an AC10 but it had to speakers, and I could not tell if they were 10s or 12s. When I looked at Gords amp up close, I saw the symbol you are talking about and it looked like an old Ghia logo. I would really like to know what amps he was using though.

20. filmosound

filmosound Member

To set the record straight -- Gord Tough has been using two amps he built himself, and they are unique and like nothing out there already. My info comes from one of the band members.

Kathleen has been using a vintage Vox AC10 for quite a few years now though she also has a Teixeira if you are seeing a 4th amp on stage.