Katy Perry - She loves copyright more than fans

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by FPFL, Feb 6, 2015.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

2. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Intellectual property is copyrighted. What's the issue?

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Lame... and I'm a huge Katy Perry fan.

4. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Not really surprising. If the guy decided to sell statues of Big Bird, Elsa from Frozen, or any other character do you think he'd be allowed to? It's a pretty clear case of trying to profit off of IP that he doesn't own or have the rights to.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

all about the Benjamins ... she's an 'entertainer', not an 'artist' ... :cool:

6. FPFL

FPFL Member

Big Bird is not a shark. Big B is a unique design, voice, etc. created over decades. A blue shark made out of foam is not.

I support copyright and want all content creators to get paid, big and small. Katy's music is unique content. Big Bird is unique. A nameless, silent, generic foam shark is not. The very fact that its called "shark leaning left" is a hint its not a Big Bird equivalent.

Can I draw stick figure man on a napkin and then copyright stick figure men leaning left? Apparently as long as Katy is on stage with me she has magic powers of intellectual property.

People have lost the forest for the trees IMHO and she's a shrew for going after people that actually endured her lip-sync'd, pro-tool'd outfit routine and cherished it enough to want to make a memory.

The only good thing she did was bring Missy out and I'd suspect that wasn't even her idea.

7. FPFL

FPFL Member

and for what its worth the first guy making left sharks agreed to pay royalties, which I think is nuts.
    the lawyers just said, "no, stop doing it" anyway. nice.

8. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, most everyone who watched the halftime show knows what you're referring when you talk about the "left shark" now. I'd say that qualifies as being pretty iconic. I don't see how a blue shark costume is any less unique than a yellow bird costume. It would be one thing, I suppose, if the costumes were just rented, but it appears they were actually designed and produced specifically for the show. I don't think there's anything that controversial about it. The guy was trying to profit off of an idea he had nothing to do with. The fact that he offered pay a royalty after getting caught doesn't mean much.

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

The seller was using Katy Perry to sell his little toy sharks. If you look at the Instagram post, he's using all the relevant hashtags. There was a webpage but it's since been removed. My guess is it had similar references.

10. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I don't see the big deal, it looks like a blatant ripoff. Try to make anything resembling Mickey Mouse and get back to us.

Whether you like it or not a lot of money and time goes into creating seemingly simple and stupid characters, so when someone else tries to piggyback on the success of it they have every right to protect their character.

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Similar **** happens every day. It's a story only because Perry's involved.

When did it become a bad thing to entertain people?

And she's most definitely an "artist." Whether her artistry is "good" or "you or I like it" is another issue.

12. FPFL

FPFL Member

You guys are a riot.

Entertaining people is fine. I don't like Katy Perry but that doesn't change everything else.

1. He's not "ripping her off". She wasn't selling the statues and refused to accept royalties. That's a business decision.

2. Nothing he did was criminal. She had no copyright on the shark despite all the protest that she does. Twitter tags mean nothing. Love the idea that using twitter is somehow bad.

3. These comparisons to well established, trademarked / copyrighted characters are a joke. Those are among the most established characters. Not a reasonable comparison.

4. The actual music and video of her performing is copyrighted, but no one is mentioning that and he wasn't selling that.

5. Everything that appears on a video is not magically copyrighted across all mediums just for being on TV. I think people are missing that point. Its the real point here.

6. If the world worked this way, things would suck.

7. If he could afford to lawyer up, he'd win in a runaway - there are a plenty of costume sharks that look more or less exactly like that, its called Google Image Search if you have the free time, but she wins just by having a fleet of lawyers, money and intimidation factor. The other point.

That doesn't make her lawyers right. Its called stifling effect of money. Never confuse it for righteousness or the law. I shudder at the thought of things working this way whenever a rich person gets upset.

-P

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'll send you a quilt.

14. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

She might be an artist but she's more of a brand and corporation than an artist. That's just what corporate lawyer types do.

15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

So what does it take for a trademarked character to be well established?

I actually just did a Google image search for "shark costume", and I don't really see anything that looks anything like her shark costumes.

So do you think that it's just a coincidence that this guy decides to start selling shark statues the week after the Super Bowl? The only reason he offered to pay a royalty was that he got caught. You don't start producing an item based on a trademarked design and then seek permission after the fact.

16. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Big woop. Most of "Katy Perry" is commercially out of her control anymore, anyway. She's a brand with hundreds of others protecting hers and their interest in it. It's the price you pay for being one of the biggest drawing and producing entertainers in recent history. Getting called out on it by "her" will probably be the biggest thing that will ever happen to this guy. Win for him either way really.

17. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Agreed! She came up with a unique character and she deserves to profit from it, not someone else.

18. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

I think you are obscuring your 'real point' (which I agree is the real point) by burying it at number 5.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

What is, in your opinion, the time limit for when intellectual property (as in, say, a costume representation of of a bird or a shark) stops being okay to steal?

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Taylor Swift understands this concept:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...his-sick-beat-and-other-1989-phrases-20150128