Sold Kauer Banshee Sunset Limited, "Grimace"

Discussion in 'Guitar Emporium Archive' started by MrAtomic, May 5, 2016.

1. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Member

For sale is my virtually unplayed, 1 of 1 Kauer Banshee Sunset Limited. Doug Kauer uses the "Sunset Limited" designation on a handful of guitars every year that include one-off, custom options and colors. He and I planned this guitar over many months, and I waited almost a year for it to be built. It's a sweetheart.

What makes it particularly unique is the switching system: each pickup is turned on/off by a button. When the button is depressed, a blue fiber optic light illuminates. It turns off when the button is released. It's a really neat system - great for playing in dark settings - and allowed Doug to build a three-pickup guitar with a single volume and tone control (the tone control removes itself from the circuit when max'ed). The lighting system is powered by a watch battery underneath the pickguard. It has no effect on the functionality of the pickups, which will operate normally even with an expired battery.

The pickups are TV Jones, with a PowerTron Plus at the bridge, a MagnaTron in the middle, and a PowerTron at the neck. Between the switches and the tone control, it's possible to get a very wide array of sounds out of these pickups.

Doug's name for the guitar is "Grimace," for obvious reasons. The metallic purple/metallic gray color scheme was drawn from a limited edition Gretsch that stuck with me, and Doug did a wonderful job replicating the colors. Keeping with the Gretsch motif, the guitar is equipped with a Bigsby (mounted on a Vibramate plate) and chrome knobs with a jeweled arrow indicator. We decided to move the input jack to the side of the guitar, both for ergonomic reasons and to keep the top of the guitar looking as clean as possible.

Were it not for some very serious family medical issues, this Banshee would be with me until I'm in adult diapers. It was, and remains, a dream guitar.

I only had Grimace in my possession for about a month. It then went back to Doug for a final tune-up before sale, and it's still in his workshop. It will be sent by Doug to the buyer, so you can be sure that every aspect of the instrument will be just right. Besides being an incredibly good guy, his attention to detail is remarkable.

As a Sunset Limited, the guitar is a one-off. If you approximated it, the cost would now be over $4000 with a 9-12 month wait. I've priced Grimace at $3400, shipped (payment via standard PayPal, and I will eat the 3% charge). Until I indicate otherwise, the price is firm. I am not interested in any trades, due to the medical emergency that precipitated this sale. Please don't hesitate to post or PM me with any questions. Additional pictures can be found here:

http://www.kauerguitars.com/sold/banshee-213

Thanks very much for looking. I'm a relatively new member here, but have been at talkbass.com for much longer, under the same username. I can provide sales references from that community, if necessary. Also, here is a link to my Reverb shop - I have perfect feedback as a buyer and seller.

https://reverb.com/shop/pauls-boutique-36

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Baemer and dougk like this.
  2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

GLWTS and sorry about the medical issue. If we hadn't just had a canine medical emergency, I'd be doing everything I could to get this. These are amazing guitars, people.

Baemer and MrAtomic like this.
  3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Oh man, what a stunner!

MrAtomic likes this.
  4. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

5. Alambler

Alambler Supporting Member

Beauty! I have a sunset limited I recently got from Doug Kauer and its fantastic!

MrAtomic likes this.
  6. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Member

Thanks to everyone that's posted, and for the kind wishes about my medical situation. Doug Kauer is not only a terrific person, but a true artist, and he did a great job translating my ham-headed plans into a one-of-a-kind guitar. It's hard for me to imagine anyone being disappointed with this instrument. The medical issue in question relates to my physical disability, which has left me without a left leg or knee, and a very damaged right leg. I often play while seated, and rest guitars on my prosthetic leg. Amazingly, Doug took this all into account, which is why Grimace is the only Banshee with a belly cut, and even a small leg cut. Together with the great balance on this guitar, they make it impressively comfortable to play, especially when compared to a conventional Firebird.

7. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Member

Sold at the asking price.