Kauer Sunset Limited- Custom Argonaut

dougk

Silver Supporting Member
Wanted to share a new Sunset Limited for this year, this time in the form of an Argonaut. First double bound, bound headstock, ES345 inspired Argo I've done.

149945914.jpg

150230678.jpg

150230679.jpg

150230681.jpg

150230682.jpg

Managed to get some great video of our friend Mason Stoops sitting down and playing the Argo for the first time!

Specs:
1 piece Maple front and back plates
Spanish Cedar core and neck
Wolfetone KB's + phase reverse
Bigsby B5 + Vibramate Plate
Sperzel Openback Locking tuners
Wenge fretboard with vintage pearloid inlays (keystone-deluxe pattern)
8.2 lbs with Bigsby, 7.2 lbs with out

It's a killer!

Last edited:

Deed_Poll

Looks and sounds fantastic! I love the Cherry on this, even thought I'm not such a fan of it on Gibsons. And that back binding around the neck join looks very smart. You've struck a great balance between the two styles.

I wonder how a black 3-ply 345 type pickguard would look with this, though? Is it something you've tried on other guitars?

dougk

Silver Supporting Member
Looks and sounds fantastic! I love the Cherry on this, even thought I'm not such a fan of it on Gibsons. And that back binding around the neck join looks very smart. You've struck a great balance between the two styles.

I wonder how a black 3-ply 345 type pickguard would look with this, though? Is it something you've tried on other guitars?

I've been thinking about it but I've just never come up with a PG I really liked. Part of the problem is, the HB and neck is pushed so to the limit of the body that a PG can't wrap around the "front" of the neck pickup.

pukko

I hope you don't mind but I did a photoshop test to see how it would look with a pickguard. I think it looks kind of cool but i have no idea how it would work in real life. There seems to be a scoop in the cutaway that I tried to avoid covering but maybe access might be impeded by the pickguard?

argonautpickguardtestbigsby_zpsaa188f4d.jpg

dougk

Silver Supporting Member
I like that a lot!! I'll have to take a stab at it.

The scoop in the cutaway is what always screws me up!

Harvester

beautiful work !

+1 on the pickguard option ... it helps clinch the 'ES' vibe.
just seeing the little gold gibson style pickguard bracket would add to the whole classy direction this one is heading in.

maybe something that traces around the cutaway scoop ? i know that's easier said than done !

AP

Deed_Poll

Looks kinda cool!

Maybe something that lines up with the top of the pickup, like this LP special:

331px-Epiphone_Les_Paul_Special_Single_Cut_TV_Yellow_%28modified_as_1956_stopbar_model%29.jpg

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
AWESOME Doug -

That's beautiful, and I know it sounds amazing.

Go Doug, Go Argos!

Totally rad, Dana O.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom