Keeley 2 Button Compressor or Barber Tone Press?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jazzgear, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Which is the better overall compressor. For music genres: Rock/R&B, et' al.

I for one like the foot print of the Keeley (had it before and really liked it), but I am hearing alot of great things regarding the Barber (never heard or played through one).

Anyone out there that has had experience with both -- give me your feedback.

BTW I like the sensible price point of the Barber unit.

2. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I know everyone here loooves the Barber for it's transparency, but I for one like the exaggerated comp tones from the Keeley for country and singing lead sounds.

3. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I like the Tone Press because of its flexibility. You can enhance the harmonic content of your clean/overdriven tones with mild compression or squish the heck out of your notes by maxing the blend and sustain knobs. Also, there is an internal trim pot - color - which you can adjust for a more vintage, Ross-like compression. The price and tones make this the best compressor for my ears.

Check out Harry J's compressor shootout - you can Google it or search this forum for it I'm sure.

:BluesBros

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

5. neil99

neil99 Member

The Keeley I found thickened things considerably and cut some highs. Got very squishy quick for lack of a better word.

The tone press while still able to squish, was more natural sounding meaning the guitar tone came through with less extra "stuff", just more sustain of the original signal.

Horses for courses

6. Chadley

Chadley Member

I have had both and I currently use a Keeley two knob comp. I like the Tone Press as well but I ended up realizing that when I use comp, I want to know that it is "on"....more or less used as an effect. The Keeley has this great almost lofi vibe to it that I love. It is fat and harmonic sounding. I basically set it up so that it compresses a little and boosts the signal a lot. Sounds killer.

7. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I like my Tone Press since it can go so transparent for the modern stuff, but it can get as squishy as I like for country stuff.

8. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

9. Jazzgear

Because?:JAM

10. fruvai

fruvai Member

Because he said so:roll

11. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Sold the keeley, bought a tone press

12. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Tone Press! Keeley is only better if you prefer it's "footprint" or the way it squashes the tone. You can't tweak it...the tone press with the blend knob gives you more versatility to dial in "your" compression feel and have options for different genres. In your case...rock or R&B.

TP +1 :)

13. minjason

minjason Member

Having had experience using both compressors, I personally think the tone press can do everything that the keeley does but not vice versa. the tone press can give you the squish if you want it to, but it also works so well as an always-on sweetener...

14. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

+87.4518 :RoCkIn

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've been living with both for about a month...

While the barber will give you the AMOUNT of squish the Keeley does, it's not quite the same feel or tone. I find the barber more transparent. I also find I like whatever it is the Keeley adds more than the barber. The barber is so transparent it's almost "sterile" (no offense Dave!), which alot of people love. I don't use compression often, and when I do I don't use much, but I WANT TO HEAR & FEEL it when I am using it. Having set the Barber & Keeley up as identical as I could, I prefer the Keeley.

FWIW, I used the internal attack trim to make the attack as slow as possible (least possible squish). And it still squishes a little. But like I said, if I'm going to use a compressor I WANT to hear it.

Both are fantastic & you can't go wrong with either one. Barber is more versatile, Keeley has more "mojo."

16. Jazzgear

Thanks all......

I went with the Tone Press:BEER

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

I switched from the Keeley to the Tone Press. I did like the Keeley quite a bit, but there's something to be said for transparency (which the Barber has in spades). There's also an internal trim pot on the Tone Press for more squish, apparently, so I really need to try that out to see if I can get the sound somewhere between both units.

18. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

It's been a while, but I did speak with Dave Barber on the phone about that internal trim pot and he told me that it is NOT to be messed with - and that it is some sort of bias control (??) for the pedal that is pre set at the factory to be in it's optimal range. He said that it should be set approximately in the middle position of it's rotational range - and that messing with it will only screw up the pedal.

19. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Hmm, interesting, when I bought it one of the selling points I heard was that it can go from transparent to more Ross-like with that trim pot. Oh well.

20. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Yeah, I kept reading that here as well. I called to inquire about one of his other pedals and while I had him on the phone I asked him about the trim pot inside the Tone Press and he just laughed and said - "Don't touch it" - and then went on to explain the reason why - which I've already stated in my last post.

Like I've said, that was a while ago - so it's possible the trim pot's function has been changed??