• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Keeley BD-2 questions

vintage66

I tried and liked a modded one and was wondering if any of the Used ones out there might have the smaller smd board. In other words did they mod any of the new ones? I’m thinking I might want an older one if they did.

The phat switch was almost unnoticeable when switched back and forth. Another thread some said it‘a definitely noticeable and some said it’s not at all. I’m still not totally sure I could hear a difference at all, maybe very subtle, but even without it I liked it better than a stock one I also played. Opinions? Also considering Analogman. Thoughts?

MissoulaGriz

I had an older Keeley BD2 and with the phat switch engaged it was a very noticeable bump in the lows. I haven't played any newer modded BD2's so I'm not going to be any help there. I've heard great things about the BD2 Waza pedal. Another option for you if you want that older Keeley BD2 vibe would be his Super Phat Mod pedal.
The DOD Looking Glass easily took the place of my Keeley BD2. It was way more versatile for me personally.

Brian Gilmour

Yeah Keeley stopped modding the Boss pedals years ago, well before the SMT versions came out. Mine isn’t going anywhere. The Phat switch does make a difference but it depends on your gear. I leave mine on permanently with my Strat to thicken it up.

A few years ago, Mammoth Electronics started doing Keeley approved Boss mods again for a brief time. They were $199 new but then the $149 Waza BD-2 came out. Since that’s basically the Keeley mod there was no upside for Mammoth to keep doing them I assume. Probably one of the reasons why they’re no longer in business. Then you have the Keeley Super Phat Mod which I believe is a carbon copy of the his BD-2 mod but with true bypass switching.

vintage66

Here's a good demo of the Keeley Super Phat Mod variants in action. I highly recommend these over a modded BD-2.
Do you think the SPM sounds better than the Keeley modded BD-2? I notice the phat switch is more noticeable. I’ve read that it might be brighter-do you find that?

vintage66

I wish they put them in a better looking enclosure, nobody can really tell it's a BD-2 under the hood, for those who want that. :(

Their green 808 Red Dirt was very nice looking.
I hate to say it but it is a factor. The Keeley modded Bosses have a cool factor, I wish it was at least blue. Not to say it rules it out but it tips the scale.

Trending Topics